Sam Thaiday

Outside of the two missed tackles (even then, depends on when they occurred) I don't see anything wrong with those numbers.

Surely he next to get the golden Bennett handshake.

Outside of the two missed tackles (even then, depends on when they occurred) I don't see anything wrong with those numbers.

If he's going to offer 6.9m per run and nothing else , you can pay a bloke $85k to do it.

If he's going to offer 6.9m per run and nothing else , you can pay a bloke $85k to do it.

So let's say he replaces two carries he had close to the line with two carries off a goal-line drop out or a kick off where he makes 15-20m a carry suddenly it's a good game?

Numbers aren't the end all to be end all.

So let's say he replaces two carries he had close to the line with two carries off a goal-line drop out or a kick off where he makes 15-20m a carry suddenly it's a good game?

The key part of my post was 'and nothing else'. Any park footballer can hit the line and drop (although Maranta can't even do that). The stats he's producing can be bought for 1/5th the salary, so he needs to be producing some point of difference.

Those sorts of things would actually require him to go in looking for work...

He stood out wide and did nothing at all for a very large part of the game and when he went in he didn't do a lot more... That's what those numbers show.

Yet he is an origin and international 'star' is paid like an origin and international 'star' and is being outplayed consistently by players who have never been near a representative arena...

Last edited:
Dash - I know and it's wrong.

The numbers can be misleading, but they don't lie and they show that Thaiday did more than make 11 carries for the night.

I get that people want to change the forward pack and that Thaiday is one of the more expendable options. However, he was one of the Broncos better players tonight, he kept the right fringe in-tact and compared to others didn't really put a foot wrong.

However, I'll let ya'll be.

Thaiday is a lazy so and so and the only time he ever plays well is because he's greedy and his contract is up for renewal.

Last edited:

The numbers can be misleading, but they don't lie and they show that Thaiday did more than make 11 carries for the night.

I get that people want to change the forward pack and that Thaiday is one of the more expendable options. However, he was one of the Broncos better players tonight, he kept the right fringe in-tact and compared to others didn't really put a foot wrong.

Thaiday is a lazy so and so and the only time he ever plays well is because he's greedy and his contract is up for renewal.

I think people want too see more from an experienced player like Thaiday. You can't exactly financially quantify the value of experience but using discretion I'd say Thaiday is in some serious arrears.

Credit to the right side defence, they did their job tonight and Thaiday did defend quite well. The problem with Sam is he just continues to produce 'okay' performances. I just expect more from the Australian backrower.

I know I'm being a bit harsh. He's not the only one not earning their pay cheque at the moment, but he's been playing this way for years now.

Yeah, if Thaiday wasn't an Australian and QLD rep player, Brisbane ex-Captain and likely on a sizeable paycheck, I wouldn't have a problem with him. He'd be a perfectly fine bench player.

Yeah, if Thaiday wasn't an Australian and QLD rep player, Brisbane ex-Captain and likely on a sizeable paycheck, I wouldn't have a problem with him. He'd be a perfectly fine bench player.

Thank you for making my point 1000% better than I did.

Does anyone actually know what Thaiday's being paid?

One of the big reasons why his deal took so long last year was because of all the TPAs. It wouldn't surprise me if Thaiday's deal under the salary cap was quite affordable considering.

At the risk of repeating myself, in a game where the Broncos produced an awful team performance, Thaiday was one of the few players who did his job for the team. It wasn't the type of performance that turns heads, but it wasn't deserving of being singled out either.

Admittedly everybody needs to improve and what we saw last night was a disgrace.

Last edited:
Thaiday is one of BHQs favourite whipping boys ... (and his performance have earned it in the past)

but not last night, he was one of our best in a poor team performance

Thaiday is one of BHQs favourite whipping boys ... (and his performance have earned it in the past)

but not last night, he was one of our best in a poor team performance

Spot on. He has become the easy target when in reality he was not even in the worst 13 for the Broncos last night.

Spot on. He has become the easy target when in reality he was not even in the worst 13 for the Broncos last night.

So despite being one of our representative 'stars' he gets a pass mark just because he didn't entirely suck, when his stats show what he did in the game was average at best and far from what you might expect from someone who is regularly picked in Origin and for Australia?

He has been average for us for a long time, with only the occasional 'good' game.

That's why he gets so much grief.

Last edited:
So despite being one of our representative 'stars' he gets a pass mark just because he didn't entirely suck, when his stats show what he did in the game was average at best and far from what you might expect from someone who is regularly picked in Origin and for Australia?

He has been average for us for a long time, with only the occasional 'good' game.

That's why he gets so much grief.

His stats show 41 tackles with 2 missed tackles, 11 hitups for 81m's, 0 errors and 2 penalties conceded. Far from average in this particular game. The penalties conceded is ordinary but he has always been prone to a few silly penalties.

A lot of the good stuff from Thaiday is obviously missed by the everyday fan who deals in stats alone.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Dazza 92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • RolledOates
  • Astro
  • BRC088
  • Jedhead
  • Stix
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.