Sam Thaiday

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin? How about sack Thaiday

He hasn't been good ever since he's lost his passing and offloading skills. He was never particularly good at hitting holes either. His best games were in the front row this season, partially because without those skills he really is just a front rower. But he's far too soft to play there consistently, kind of like Dave Taylor. But just like Griffin, he has a likeable personality, so it's hard to actually demote him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Tonight was his first quiet game since returning to the backrow, for the past month he's consistently been good for us. Sure, his best game may have come in the front row, but I doubt he had anywhere near the consistency he's had for us on the right edge.

It's pretty clear he's a backrow - it's where he can exhibit his foot-work, work for quick play the balls and ball play which he's good at for a backrow.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

It's pretty clear he's a backrow - it's where he can exhibit his foot-work, work for quick play the balls and ball play which he's good at for a backrow.

But that's the thing, I don't think he has shown those skills in a few years now. Even in the past month we haven't really seen either.

I think Gillett and Glenn offer a lot more on the edges these days, both in attack, and in Glenn's case, in defence too.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Well, I do.

He's better than Glenn defensively too. Glenn is pretty inconsistent in that department - his strength is line running.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

The fat bastard hates tackling. He's played 20 mins of good football this season and that was origin 2. It's obviously taken a lot out of him

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013

A knee jerk reaction and a bizarre one at that.

Thaiday had a quiet evening and didn't perform as well as a captain should have but some of you are very quick to forget how good he's been for us for the past month. He's shown improvement as a captain and I believe he deserves at least another season in charge of the leadership. Giving it to Parker wouldn't achieve anything.

Which isn't to say the criticism isn't warranted, rather I believe it's heavy handed. If he continues performing like he did tonight, I'd like to see him demoted to the bench and go from there.

Check when I started the thread.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

It was every bit a knee jerk then as it is now.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013

Let me know when it's not.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I'll try, bumping this thread everytime the Broncos happen to lose seems to work well.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011

WTF how has Thaiday been anything but below average for us for the last month? He's been playing way to many minutes and looking laboured in absolutely everything he does...

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013

I'll try, bumping this thread everytime the Broncos happen to lose seems to work well.
thi

Actually this was me who "restarted thread" only I did it as a new thread but was moved to this existing thread? That said, let me say this again...

Memo to Sam Thaiday- Resignation required NOW

Effective immediately I need you to tender your resignation as the Broncos Captain. A leader leads from the front, sets an example and instills confidence with his troops.

Yes, it is true that Griffin cannot coach himself out of a paper bag. Yes it is true, that the ref's performance were dismal at best. Still, outside of a few decent moments in origin, you have been very disappointing in your captaincy.

Some will argue that you rack up a reasonable amount of tackles. While this is the case, I have come to the conclusion that you do so for the reason that players run straight at you knowing you are most likely to get a penalty. Offensively, you are not cutting it. You are not in shape, switch off too often and must as mentioned before tender your resignation immediately for the good of your club and it's longstanding pained supporters.

Sincerely,

animal eater

PS, I think you are a nice bloke but feel you would be better served coming off the bench.​

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Viti said:
WTF how has Thaiday been anything but below average for us for the last month?

As basically the only person defending Thaiday in this thread I'm sure this is being fielded at me. To whom's standard is this considered below average? The guy is constantly rolling us forward, creating quick play the balls and being all-round solid in defence. For mine, he's been good.

animal eater said:
Actually this was me who "restarted thread" only I did it as a new thread but was moved to this existing thread? That said, let me say this again...

I honestly don't care who the original kneejerker was, but you're wrong - check the time stamps. My point was never to single anybody out, just give my point that I think members are letting their frustration get the best of them and are making some bizarre criticisms as a result.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013

As basically the only person defending Thaiday in this thread I'm sure this is being fielded at me. To whom's standard is this considered below average? The guy is constantly rolling us forward, creating quick play the balls and being all-round solid in defence. For mine, he's been good.

I honestly don't care who the original kneejerker was, but you're wrong - check the time stamps. My point was never to single anybody out, just give my point that I think members are letting their frustration get the best of them and are making some bizarre criticisms as a result.

Ah, Big Pete. I am 44 and I am pretty certain I have the skills to start a thread and wasn't hallucinating when I say I started a new thread and it was moved.

As far as Thaiday, I don't dislike him at all as a person but he is far from a leader as evidenced by what we have seen in the last two years. Everyone is quick to fire the coach, quick to say that we are lacking in backs, which we are but at some point you also have to look at the captaincy. After all, they are meant to steer the ship on the field and Sam is too buggered to even make a tackle let alone lead the team.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

A knee jerk reaction and a bizarre one at that.

Thaiday had a quiet evening and didn't perform as well as a captain should have but some of you are very quick to forget how good he's been for us for the past month. He's shown improvement as a captain and I believe he deserves at least another season in charge of the leadership. Giving it to Parker wouldn't achieve anything.

Which isn't to say the criticism isn't warranted, rather I believe it's heavy handed. If he continues performing like he did tonight, I'd like to see him demoted to the bench and go from there.

Knee jerk reactions are all the rage around here.......

That said, there is some merit to Thaiday coming off the bench instead of starting

and with that in mind, he can not be our captain any longer. It was a mistake to begin with.

His shit form, and laziness demands that he be replaced.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

animal eater said:
Ah, Big Pete. I am 44 and I am pretty certain I have the skills to start a thread and wasn't hallucinating when I say I started a new thread and it was moved.

That's correct.

But it did not 'restart' this thread like you claimed.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011

Obviously to most people's standard, constantly rolling us forward cmon now thats just ridiculous. He does have a good run every now and then but he is just wayyyy to lazy. He is not an 80 minute player and I have no idea why Hook is using him like that, it looks like he is holding back just so he doesnt get caught out when he is tired.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Then obviously most people have ridiculous standards and I'd hate to think what they think of the majority of the competition.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Thaiday can stay in the second row until one of our juniors is good enough to replace him. So, next week.

He's never been a good captain, he'll never be a good captain. Honestly don't see forwards as captains, your captain needs to be on the field the whole time.

Active Now

• phoenix
  • bazza
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • kman
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Strapper
  • Swordfish
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.