NEWS Sam Walker signs with Roosters

Alec

International Rep
You just can't tell with halves this early on. They can show all sorts of promise, but they still need to develop and progress well over their first few years. Cleary and Brooks are good examples right now - they looked like they could be anything in their teens, but have really stagnated just a few years in. Jayden Nikorima is the same, and if you go back even further, Brett Seymour made his debut at like 17 or 18 as well, and didn't go on to be anything except mediocre at best.

Ponga01

QCup Player
Yet on the very same day, ben cotton on zero tackle has indicated that kyle flanagan is signing with the roosters. So now they have, brock lamb, lachlan lam, sam walker and kyle flanagan replacing cronk.
Don’t forget Drew Hutchison😩

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Isn't it where you play your first senior game ?
it was ... about 5 years ago ...

now, there is some questionnaire type thing and you are eligible for the state that was the answer to the majority of the questions

Alec

International Rep
All these rules are so robotic. If you are eligible for both, you should be able to decide who you'd prefer to play for. That's how it seems to work for the guys who want to play for Tonga.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
You just can't tell with halves this early on. They can show all sorts of promise, but they still need to develop and progress well over their first few years. Cleary and Brooks are good examples right now - they looked like they could be anything in their teens, but have really stagnated just a few years in. Jayden Nikorima is the same, and if you go back even further, Brett Seymour made his debut at like 17 or 18 as well, and didn't go on to be anything except mediocre at best.
Agreed, though I do think Brooks has kicked on pretty well now but other than him, there are a lot of teenagers / early 20s halves who have fallen by the wayside - Smith, Moses (to an extent), Seymour, Moon, Elgey, Taylor, Cleary possibly, Sandow, Jikorima, Clifford looks terrible for the Cows, Martin, Hingano, etc.

That's a lot.

NSW stables

QCup Player
Agreed, though I do think Brooks has kicked on pretty well now but other than him, there are a lot of teenagers / early 20s halves who have fallen by the wayside - Smith, Moses (to an extent), Seymour, Moon, Elgey, Taylor, Cleary possibly, Sandow, Jikorima, Clifford looks terrible for the Cows, Martin, Hingano, etc.

That's a lot.
A trend seems to be that clubs continue to look for the "next big thing" with one 18 year being hyped, only to be succeeded by the next 18 year old. Halves particularly.

ostin86

QCup Player
Don't worry lads. Dearden has a bit of class about him. I feel we made the right choice. He will make a good captain aswell I reckon.

Paix will be a good half I reckon. If I was him I would look to sign somewhere else where he can play half or five-eigth. Melbourne would be a good landing spot for him.

Alec

International Rep

That's a lot.
I dunno about Brooks, he has his moments, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of footy smarts in general. Either way, he'll never be anywhere as good everyone thought he will be when he first started playing NRL.

Dazza 92

QCup Player
good luck, and I mean luck, down in Sydney Sam. Good to see young QLD based half get a chance at NRL level. Looks like he will have competition though by the sounds of it...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter