Season 2022

Isaako wouldn't be as much of an issue with a gun half and hooker, but at the same time, I don't think Dearden and Croft would be as much of an issue with a gun fullback (someone who can give them more options in attack).

Probably, but i still think a half and hooker is more crucial than a fullback right now.

Don't know if has been mentioned but what is Maloney doing? Any chance we could get him to return?

Would have been the play 2 year ago over Croft, get him in alongside Milf to free up his running game and bring back his form. Then would have also been able to teach Dearden everything about the game.

My only holds for the side would be:
Haas (best Forward in the comp but can't do it all himself, has the motor but the min we play him each week for a young player are criminal)
Pangai (Seems to know he is on his last legs, has pulled his head in and if he gets to that consistent level has an X factor)
Pikaku/Riki (both will develop but can't be thrown to the wolves)
Nui (has potential, on the smaller side but given decent ball and taught a defensive structure will be solid)
Isaako/Coates (but on the wing, too many errors for FLB)
Farnsworth (solid player)
Bullemore/Carrigan (good value forwards)

Potential holds:
Lodge (back to basics, take the pass out his game and run hard and agression in defence, hopefully the idea of shoping around is to get him to take a pay cut)
Staggs (asking price is an issue, rumours switch to 5/8, but at centre is a star. Needs an organising hlf and a great system if he is to switch to 5/8)

Targets:
A solid Half (experienced who will handle the pressure, one who hasn't got injury concerns, so SJ out the question imo, moses I don't think could handle the pressure)
A hooker (we should have made a play for simpkin who just signed a 2 year extension, Bsmith is solid and could work with a Levi/Turpin whilst covering some middle)
A FLB (Hynes is a solid target, Drinkwater another even Dufty has potential)

Don't know if has been mentioned but what is Maloney doing? Any chance we could get him to return?
Don’t know the answer but James Maloney could be a great short term option. At least better than Gareth Widdop and Aiden Seizer who are currently on overseas contracts but now in discussion with the Broncos according to the media.

Don’t know the answer but James Maloney could be a great short term option. At least better than Gareth Widdop and Aiden Seizer who are currently on overseas contracts but now in discussion with the Broncos according to the media.
He'll be 35 next year, he's well and truly done as an NRL player.

He'll be 35 next year, he's well and truly done as an NRL player.
Fair enough. If we don’t end up signing experienced halves, I don’t know if Maloney would be of any use as a halves mentor ala Andrew Johns. I’m clutching at straws here...

Fair enough. If we don’t end up signing experienced halves, I don’t know if Maloney would be of any use as a halves mentor ala Andrew Johns. I’m clutching at straws here...

At least you know it!

We have Locky, Langer and Walters at the club. Surely, SURELY, we don't need another halves mentor...

At least you know it!

We have Locky, Langer and Walters at the club. Surely, SURELY, we don't need another halves mentor...
That's what doesn't make any sense. We have three ex Queensland halves who all player together in the same spine for 2 Grand final wins (97/98) but the current spine don't show any influence of them. Whereas Papenhuysen looks like Slater 2.0

Lockyer is probably one of the greatest comeback stories in NRL history on his own. Everybody wanted his head in 2006 or were calling for hism to return to fullback. He would surely know what they are going through. Especially what Milford is.

There's no spine players available who are the right call for the Broncos at the moment, throwing money at the wrong option is only going to set us back further. Unluckily for us fans, 2021 and 2022 are just holding years until we can have a crack at the Grant / Munster / Pongas of this world in 2023.

Doubly unluckily for us, the well-run teams who have these players are likely to have them all locked up well before they even reach the open market - leaving us once again with nothing.
3 spoons on the trot isn't just possible, it's looking like the most likely outcome at the moment, and overpaying SJ, Moses or Hynes won't change a damn thing about it - they are the 'best' of a bad bunch and none of them have what it takes to turn this team around.

Kev has to use the next few years to build some balance in the team - some experience, grit, determination and heart and get the pieces in place so that when the right spine players come up then we can have a crack properly.

Like it or not, this isn't the offseason to try to fix the spine, and an obsession with trying to 'make a splash' just for the sake of it is only going to make Kevvie's job harder.
Stay patient, build the rest of the team properly and wait for THE RIGHT spine players.

There's no spine players available who are the right call for the Broncos at the moment, throwing money at the wrong option is only going to set us back further. Unluckily for us fans, 2021 and 2022 are just holding years until we can have a crack at the Grant / Munster / Pongas of this world in 2023.

Doubly unluckily for us, the well-run teams who have these players are likely to have them all locked up well before they even reach the open market - leaving us once again with nothing.
3 spoons on the trot isn't just possible, it's looking like the most likely outcome at the moment, and overpaying SJ, Moses or Hynes won't change a damn thing about it - they are the 'best' of a bad bunch and none of them have what it takes to turn this team around.

Kev has to use the next few years to build some balance in the team - some experience, grit, determination and heart and get the pieces in place so that when the right spine players come up then we can have a crack properly.

Like it or not, this isn't the offseason to try to fix the spine, and an obsession with trying to 'make a splash' just for the sake of it is only going to make Kevvie's job harder.
Stay patient, build the rest of the team properly and wait for THE RIGHT spine players.
....should listen to the latest Broncos weekly podcast...some really good points made on the latest episode..

Something that just occured to me; remember how many players Siebs dropped from the run on side....

Basically no-one. Sure there was no ISC last year so thats a mitigating circumstances.

But the fact you kept picking the same underperforming players is damning..

At least Kev is holding guys accountable.

So at least some standards are finally being laid down..

A hooker (we should have made a play for simpkin who just signed a 2 year extension, Bsmith is solid and could work with a Levi/Turpin whilst covering some middle)

Couldn't make a serious play at him, he was already signed through till 2022. Tigers just got in early before a team could offer him a serious contract.

9 news saying us signing an experienced playmaker depends on if we sign Staggs or not and he expects and answer in the next 7 days. That's fucked if we are going to sacrifice an experienced half back for the toe licker.

Broncos should be having a buttload of money available next year as literally no one has been signed yet, a bunch of players are leaving and there's no one left to pay part of the bill for (unless Lodge goes).
Surely they can afford both Staggs and a halfback, though if the plan is to have Staggs at 5/8th I hope he ***** off because that's not addressing the problem at all.

9 news saying us signing an experienced playmaker depends on if we sign Staggs or not and he expects and answer in the next 7 days. That's fucked if we are going to sacrifice an experienced half back for the toe licker.

This was based on Kevvie's comments today and is a bit of drawing a bow to be honest, Kevvie didn't say either of those things. Kevvie said they are wanting to lock up Lovetoes first but did not say signing a playmaker is dependent on that. He also didn't say he was expecting Toenails to sign within the next 7 days.

Remember the next 7 days things was first made up by a reporter about 45 days ago now. The Broncos need to pull the offer if he hasn't signed within Donuts first week though.

This was based on Kevvie's comments today and is a bit of drawing a bow to be honest, Kevvie didn't say either of those things. Kevvie said they are wanting to lock up Lovetoes first but did not say signing a playmaker is dependent on that. He also didn't say he was expecting Toenails to sign within the next 7 days.

Remember the next 7 days things was first made up by a reporter about 45 days ago now. The Broncos need to pull the offer if he hasn't signed within Donuts first week though.

The words came out of Kevvies mouth in the interview. He said he expects an answer in the next 7 days.

The words came out of Kevvies mouth in the interview. He said he expects an answer in the next 7 days.

Well I didn't see him say that but I may have missed it. Regardless, I do agree with it. It has drawn on long enough now and if he hasn't signed after Donuts has been in for a week, see ya Toenza.

No quality players want to come here any more. We are well and truly f**ked.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Organix
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Jedhead
  • Spike
  • Rowdy124
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.