Season Opener: Broncos Vs. Cowboys - Match Thread

draggx said:
If it wasn't for Normans little mistake the cowboys would never have got back in and the final score could have blown out to something stupid like 48-8.

Wishful thinking.

There's no way you can claim that.

I think the Cowboys were going to come back regardless, our concentration was slipping, and some of the boys were looking a little tired.

That is why i said COULD and not WOULD.

We dont know what would have happened but the fact is it was not "Thurston genius" that got the Cowboys back in the game. It was a Norman mistake.

Thurston chance to shine was 10m outs from the Broncos line scores 24-24 and 5minutes to go. Im almost certain any other player would have gone for the Field goal. But Thurston failed his team and went for a low percentage play.

Hate to say it but even the commentators said it "Take the field goal and just defend the lead" instead he believed his own hype and went for the cross field kick to what looked like Mason of all people.

It might not have been "Thurston genius" but he certainly set up the four tries plus kicked all the goals from wide out to get them back to 24-all. He definitely was in the top three players on the paddock on Friday night - no question

draggx said:

We dont know what would have happened but the fact is it was not "Thurston genius" that got the Cowboys back in the game. It was a Norman mistake.

Thurston chance to shine was 10m outs from the Broncos line scores 24-24 and 5minutes to go. Im almost certain any other player would have gone for the Field goal. But Thurston failed his team and went for a low percentage play.

Hate to say it but even the commentators said it "Take the field goal and just defend the lead" instead he believed his own hype and went for the cross field kick to what looked like Mason of all people.
Wow, you really don't like Thurston do you?

I dont like it when a Player as smart as what Thurston is throws away the chance for his team to win a game. I could have understood if he had Bowen out wide or someone known for speed. But he kicked to MASON. instead of the certain field goal.

Meat77 said:
It might not have been "Thurston genius" but he certainly set up the four tries plus kicked all the goals from wide out to get them back to 24-all. He definitely was in the top three players on the paddock on Friday night - no question

He scored one of them himself too... hes pretty much single handedly got them back in the game. Regardless of his poor choice at the end, they wouldnt have been in with a chance if it wasnt for him

draggx said:
I dont like it when a Player as smart as what Thurston is throws away the chance for his team to win a game. I could have understood if he had Bowen out wide or someone known for speed. But he kicked to MASON. instead of the certain field goal.

i didnt realise field goals were certainties..

With Thurstons Boot. 10/15m's out almost right in front.

ningnangnong said:
draggx said:
If it wasn't for Normans little mistake the cowboys would never have got back in and the final score could have blown out to something stupid like 48-8.

Wishful thinking.

There's no way you can claim that.

I think the Cowboys were going to come back regardless, our concentration was slipping, and some of the boys were looking a little tired.

draggx's logic isn't bad though. The 2 mistakes off Thurston kicks were the turning points. Had Norman cleaned up the first one, or Beale the second, the comeback wouldn't have been so huge. The momentum wouldn't have shifted as much.

I agree they still would've come back but they wouldn't have got level. I'm certain of that.

I think the rain at halftime is being underestimated. The Broncos would of been told by Ivan to hang on to the ball get to our kick. The cowboys are 24 points down and need to throw it around to even have a hope and luckily it came off for them when it mattered which got them back in it.

I know the boys will be playing in the rain during the season but it is tough for the amount of youth in the team to go from a dry track (footloose and fancy free) to a wet track (playing conservative trying to hang onto the ball and getting turned around by Thurston's kicks).

draggx said:

And if the Cowboys had taken their 3 or so try scoring chances at the start of the game the result could have been very different. But they didn't, and it wasn't. What's your point?

draggx said:

Maybe you should watch the game again. Thurston was in a terrible position to take that field goal shot (maybe his fault, maybe his teams) There is no way it was a certain 1 point. He took what I'm guessing he thought was the best option given the situation.

How many times has Lockyer not taken the field goal and gone for other options. Everyone on here gets in the circle and flops it out when he does it, but crucify Thurston for doing similar. To me what Thurston did wasn't much different to Lockyer kicking it to Denan Kemp against Parra. Sure the result wasn't the same in the end, but the Cowboys went within a whisker of catching that cross field kick and scoring. If Kemp hadn't scored that night, I doubt everyone would be bagging out Lockyer as they are Thurston.

IMO from the position Thurston received that ball in, there was a greater chance of them scoring from the cross field kick, than Thurston kicking the field goal

As i said earlier if Thurston had someone with speed outside him it would have been the good option.

when locky does it he has quality players on the outside like Kemp,Winter,Izzy. kemp has flown up the outside to finish those plays off enough for us and Locky to know he can do it.

Thurston tried a similar play to that using Mason in the place of Kemp. And to compare with the Parra game where Locky was about the Halfway mark to Thurston being around the 10.

The Rock said:
Anyway the point is, he didn't do much right in the first 60 minutes. Does his 20 minutes of fame in the 2nd half REALLY out-weigh his lack lustrous performance in the first 60 minutes? THAT is the question. If you believe so then fine that's your opinion but IMO, the best and fairest on the field are usually pretty good and consistent for the whole 80 minutes.

But that's clearly not the case though is it? Look at Jarryd Hayne's Dally M Run last year when he consistently scored 3 points for getting involved for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes in the entire match.

Meat has nailed it. Dally M points go to whoever was most visibly spectacular for whatever short period of time, preferably close to the end of the game. That sticks in the peabrains of the journalists.

Bit harsh to use the Lockyer kick to Kemp in comparison to what happened on Friday night. The Cows were attacking the line and in good field position for a field goal. From my memory of the Lockyer incident the play commenced either on the halfway or just in our half. Lockyer received a poor pass that he had to reach to get and was in no position to take a field goal. Realistically the option he took was the only one available to him.

Meat77 said:
The Rock said:
Anyway the point is, he didn't do much right in the first 60 minutes. Does his 20 minutes of fame in the 2nd half REALLY out-weigh his lack lustrous performance in the first 60 minutes? THAT is the question. If you believe so then fine that's your opinion but IMO, the best and fairest on the field are usually pretty good and consistent for the whole 80 minutes.

But that's clearly not the case though is it? Look at Jarryd Hayne's Dally M Run last year when he consistently scored 3 points for getting involved for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes in the entire match.

Just confirms that the showy players pull in the votes, whereas the guys doing the hard yards who are very involved for most of the game but not necessarily doing `brilliant' things do not get proper recognition. IMO

lynx000 said:
Bit harsh to use the Lockyer kick to Kemp in comparison to what happened on Friday night. The Cows were attacking the line and in good field position for a field goal. From my memory of the Lockyer incident the play commenced either on the halfway or just in our half. Lockyer received a poor pass that he had to reach to get and was in no position to take a field goal. Realistically the option he took was the only one available to him.

Close. He was about 30m out and near centre field, so he could've taken a shot if he got a decent pass. But he didn't, it was behind him. Eels had rushed up in defence, so Locky stepped them and headed for the corner, kicked ahead and the rest is history.

Coxy said:
lynx000 said:

Close. He was about 30m out and near centre field, so he could've taken a shot if he got a decent pass. But he didn't, it was behind him. Eels had rushed up in defence, so Locky stepped them and headed for the corner, kicked ahead and the rest is history.

Thanks Coxy, I was relying upon my rapidly failing memory as to the field position.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
  • Morkel
  • mrtij
  • phoenix
  • Foordy
  • lynx000
  • Johnny92
  • Organix
  • Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fatboy
  • mystico
  • Midean
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.