Second Brisbane NRL Bid

I think it's buses only, and they aren't the best bus company going. And even then, they don't stretch far.

Coxy said:
But do we just want another team, or do we want an excellent, successful team? If so, then any talk of a new team has to be accompanied by a) a discussion about which Sydney team dies/relocates, and b) a discussion about how to modify our salary cap rules to retain our elite players as well as the stock standard first graders who are the ones that seem to most regularly disappear off to England at about 25/26 years of age.

Until we can retain our player base, growing the competition is not an option.

This is the best post I've read in God knows how long

I vote Coxy on to the independent commission _woohoo_

The Rock said:
mrslong said:
Depends on how the Broncos management react *IF* a new Brisbane club is allowed into the comp.

If the Broncos act all high & mighty and don't give their fans any respect I can see people switching allegiance.

----
But I don't know why the NRL would want to weaken their best product. Why would they want something like the Broncos that get 30,000 to a game and win the TV ratings each week watered down to be like the Sydney games?

They should be looking to strengthen a weakness rather than weakening a strength.

Sunny Coast population is still too small to prop up a League team. Lose a couple of Sydney teams - Cronulla & Souths - and then go West (life is peaceful there).

Why is it to small? 312,000 isn't too small. The Sunshine Coast has a bigger population than Newcastle and Newcastle are great with crowd numbers. A team in the Sunshine Coast would be good, it's a growing area and you wouldn't JUST get the Sunshine Coast, you'd get people North of the Sunshine Coast coming down for games too. Crowd numbers and support won't be the problem at all.

In fact, crowds and support isn't ever really the problem. It's the corperate dollars that will keep a club alive. It's the running of the club which is important. Newcastle are a great example. Financially, they are struggling (Thank god for Nathan Tinkler though) yet their crowd numbers are great.

Sunshine Coast would be attractive to players too. It's not far from Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
It would suit me to a tee to have a Sunny Coast team - It's my neck of the woods, but it's not practical. Like Coxy says it's very spread out & the infrastructure is non-existent - a lot like Northern NSW towns. I can't see it being too feasible - not for another 10 years or so.

Nashy said:
I think it's buses only, and they aren't the best bus company going. And even then, they don't stretch far.

This.

The only train service basically runs inland. You'd have to have shuttle bus services from Nambour Railway Station, Sunshine Plaza, Caloundra, Noosa, Mooloolaba. The local bus companies couldn't cope.

And that's after you find the money for the stadium...

So much money would need to be spent, it's not an option.

And I don't just want another team playing out of Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium. Look at how sterile games are getting at ANZ Stadium in Sydney. There's no home ground atmosphere there. Despite the library-like atmosphere at many games, at least Suncorp is our home ground, and only our home ground.

smiley said:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-second-brisbane-nrl-team-20110126-1a5f8.htmlA recent meeting of NRL chief executives voted against a second Brisbane licence but the growing power of the Broncos concerns many clubs.

''If a second Brisbane club threatens to cut the Broncos back to size, the NRL chief executives will change their minds,'' one prominent coach said.

This says it all for me: "Let's not bother trying to raise other clubs to the level of the Broncos, let's just bring the Broncos back down to our level."

Totally agree with others who say we don't need another team anywhere. Sort out the shit we've already got before you bring new clubs into the mix.

The relationship between the club and the Thoroughbreds has been strained since benny left and their involvement lessened and word is a few noses are out of joint and are looking to restore the status quo of the past at a new club with potentially bennett at the helm.

Good comments from Michael Searle re: 2nd Brisbane bid:

''The Titans' submission was about making the game a better game and generating more for rugby league. It wasn't about pulling down the Broncos temple,'' Searle said. ''It should never be about attacking another licence, it should be about growing the game, so the first thing I think everyone has to take stock of is ensuring that none of the existing licences are affected adversely by expansion.''

and he is absolutely right.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1a70m.html

Brisbane does need another side but only after WA and CQ get a team.

I don't think Brisbane as such needs another team, but I would like to see another one in QLD be it the Switch or CQ

Aeetee said:
I don't think Brisbane as such needs another team, but I would like to see another one in QLD be it the Switch or CQ

Well an Ipswich side is SEQ which is where another team is needed. Suncorp deserves a game every weekend.

Bucking Beads said:
Aeetee said:

Well an Ipswich side is SEQ which is where another team is needed. Suncorp deserves a game every weekend.

Why? So it can become a faceless multi-home venue without any real aura about it, like ANZ Stadium in Sydney?

Coxy said:
Bucking Beads said:
Aeetee said:

Why? So it can become a faceless multi-home venue without any real aura about it, like ANZ Stadium in Sydney?

Aye. Another team in Brisbane would be a disaster IMO.

Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Coxy said:
Bucking Beads said:
Aeetee said:

Yeah because the Broncos have made it a fortress [icon_confu

And Ipswich based team would play out of Suncorp I believe anyway.

ningnangnong said:
Coxy said:
Bucking Beads said:
Aeetee said:

Aye. Another team in Brisbane would be a disaster IMO.

Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Why would it be a disaster?? Who said anyone was trying to fix anything??? If anything needs fixing it is Sydney teams gone replaced by more teams in QLD

Active Now

• Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
  • Ondi
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • marw
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.