CRICKET Second Test- Australia v South Africa

What’s everyone’s team lists. Probably the first time there could be plenty of divide cause there are no obvious options replacing the two so curious to see what everyone thinks?

Hardie has used all his three games/Shield final and tour of SL credit. If he thought he was a chance if Green gets injured then he needed to start this season better.

Last game against the Bulls he looked like he was waiting for the BBL to start.

Seven wickets in half a season is not how you say pick me.
I am a very big Hardie fan yet I do agree with you. His season so far in shield has been shit. I am of the opinion they will go two spinners and take one less batter. Another option is Josh Inglis as an out and out batter. Don’t usually like picking off t20 form but he obviously has been performing well in red ball for a few years and has been the best Aussie with the bat in Big Bash which I think will give him the confidence to bat well in red ball without having played heaps of it in the past 12 months. Very long shot that one though.

What’s everyone’s team lists. Probably the first time there could be plenty of divide cause there are no obvious options replacing the two so curious to see what everyone thinks?
Hazlewood and Murphy in, Starc and Green out

Hazlewood and Murphy in, Starc and Green out
We’d have the longest tail in test cricket if we went with that though. They ought to pick a top order batsman, even if he bats at six. Warner and Khawaja don’t have long left.

We’d have the longest tail in test cricket if we went with that though. They ought to pick a top order batsman, even if he bats at six. Warner and Khawaja don’t have long left.
I don't mind it for one game. It gets Carey some more batting time up a spot and think getting a look at a second spinner before India is the big issue. I don't think Swepson is up to it.

I think with SA's bowling attack and impotent batting lineup that we should look to take an extra batter.

I think picking an extra bowler or a bit part all rounder just brings us back to SA's level... and picking an extra bowler hasn't helped them at all so far

Green usually only bowls about 10 overs an innings which Head, Marnus and Smudge can cover if needed.

On the other hand if we collapse in the batting having that extra man there would be gold.

Not sure who they should bring in, but they could go a Renshaw or something if he's the next man up for the opening spot... but has also batted in the middle order for Bulls

Harris has been with the squad so he could get the call up as well (although I dont want him there at all)... not as sure about how he could slot into the middle order though

I don't mind it for one game. It gets Carey some more batting time up a spot and think getting a look at a second spinner before India is the big issue. I don't think Swepson is up to it.
You can’t bring in 2 11’s for a 6 and a 8/9 with the current No.11 moving up to 9 himself. NO. We are fucked if our batters are a bit off or conditions are tough to keep your wicket and we rely on 50-100 runs from the tail to stay in the game. There’s other ways of getting a second spinner or even another spinner to Lyon in the test side. At the end of the day the second spinner in India will get selected based off shield form in the back end anyway so one test isn’t going to get anyone a spot if they don’t back it up later on in the shield season. Only way I could see a second spinner is if it is Agar batting 7.

Hardie has used all his three games/Shield final and tour of SL credit. If he thought he was a chance if Green gets injured then he needed to start this season better.

Last game against the Bulls he looked like he was waiting for the BBL to start.

Seven wickets in half a season is not how you say pick me.

You aren't picking him for his bowling as his MAIN weapon. He isn't Green, you can't expect him to be but whenever he has been asked to step up a level, he has. It is a one off test against an awful batting line up, no better chance to see what he has got. Based on his batting, he is arguably the next best bat not currently in the team anyway (and yes I said arguably), so his bowling and any wickets he gets is a bonus and a string to his bow no other batsman on the fringe even comes close to offering. Quality all rounders don't grow on trees and if you don't pick Hardie, who would you go with?

You can’t bring in 2 11’s for a 6 and a 8/9 with the current No.11 moving up to 9 himself. NO. We are fucked if our batters are a bit off or conditions are tough to keep your wicket and we rely on 50-100 runs from the tail to stay in the game. There’s other ways of getting a second spinner or even another spinner to Lyon in the test side. At the end of the day the second spinner in India will get selected based off shield form in the back end anyway so one test isn’t going to get anyone a spot if they don’t back it up later on in the shield season. Only way I could see a second spinner is if it is Agar batting 7.
There is no shield cricket before India. It's not something you'd do long term but for a dead rubber against a shockingly bad batting lineup we will be fine. Be good for Murphy and be good to put the batsmen under pressure in a dead rubber.

Wow, the commentators just said that the only player with more runs and a better average and more wickets and a better average than Green at this point in an all rounders' career is Ian Botham.

Wow, the commentators just said that the only player with more runs and a better average and more wickets and a better average than Green at this point in an all rounders' career is Ian Botham.
He's a freak

You aren't picking him for his bowling as his MAIN weapon. He isn't Green, you can't expect him to be but whenever he has been asked to step up a level, he has. It is a one off test against an awful batting line up, no better chance to see what he has got. Based on his batting, he is arguably the next best bat not currently in the team anyway (and yes I said arguably), so his bowling and any wickets he gets is a bonus and a string to his bow no other batsman on the fringe even comes close to offering. Quality all rounders don't grow on trees and if you don't pick Hardie, who would you go with?

I am not picking him because he hasn't consistently performed in the three years he's played Shield. You can look at his batting or bowling.

If you bat below the keeper it's 100% fine to judge him on his bowling. That's what he's going to be asked to do in Sydney- bowl- when I watched him against Bulls he wasn't threatening at all.

Seven wickets for WA this year, no wickets against the WI and no runs this season. He hasn't cashed in on his good three games last season.

Demanding to get picked would be starting this year how he finished last season, which was his best three games in three years- so not consistent and I would argue three good games in three years is not always stepping up too.

We haven't picked a second spinner in Sydney since 2017 and while I don't think it's anything like it used to be I am leaning to a second spinner and getting ready for India.

Swepson seems the forgotten man in all this- while this season hasn't been super economical, he's just two wickets behind Murphy and got three wickets his last Test in July when he was asked to bowl a massive amount while Chandimal went nuts.

He never gets a go here, gets thrown in against the best players of spin in the world and everyone says 3/150 he sucks.

I am not picking him because he hasn't consistently performed in the three years he's played Shield. You can look at his batting or bowling.

If you bat below the keeper it's 100% fine to judge him on his bowling. That's what he's going to be asked to do in Sydney- bowl- when I watched him against Bulls he wasn't threatening at all.

Seven wickets for WA this year, no wickets against the WI and no runs this season. He hasn't cashed in on his good three games last season.

Demanding to get picked would be starting this year how he finished last season, which was his best three games in three years- so not consistent and I would argue three good games in three years is not always stepping up too.

We haven't picked a second spinner in Sydney since 2017 and while I don't think it's anything like it used to be I am leaning to a second spinner and getting ready for India.

So you are picking a spinner (which one?) and who? for Green and Starc. Both are out don't forget. Murphy and Hazlewood?

I suspect that if and when Carey gets his hundred here, we'll see both batsmen start going the tonk.

Green must not be in too bad of a shape if he's out there having a hit

Last Australian to get 100 and five wickets in a Test was Benaud in 57/58 v SA.

Active Now

• Bish
  • bert_lifts
  • Painin the Haas
  • Kev_Guz
  • Skathen
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Sproj
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.