NEWS Segeyaro wants to seal the deal

Low range apparently, on his way to get a morning coffee.

Broncos to issue a statement shortly ....

Go for the old cherry ripe excuse?

He would likely be suspended for a game so it looks like we're going to lose him for the Titans game.

Although, he probably wasn't drinking. You don't need to drink alcohol to get done for drink driving. We'll see what the story says.

Er, yes you do...

0.05, not a great start. Will be interesting to see what stance the club takes on this.

James Segeyaro has been caught drink driving in Brisbane on Monday.

The Broncos recruit blew a blood alcohol level under 0.05 when pulled over by police but is on his P Plates and therefore cannot have a reading above zero.

He is understood to have been driving to buy a coffee on Monday morning after drinking on Sunday night.

New arrival: James Segeyaro has only recently joined the Broncos.

New arrival: James Segeyaro has only recently joined the Broncos.CREDIT:AAP

"The Brisbane Broncos can confirm that James Segeyaro has been issued with a notice to appear for driving under the influence of alcohol," the Broncos said in a statement.

"Segeyaro recorded a breath test reading well under 0.05 in Brisbane this morning, but due to the fact he is on a Provisional Licence he has been issued with a notice to appear. The NRL Integrity Unit has been informed and the club is working through the issue in conjunction with them."

Segeyaro only recently joined the club, having spent the majority of the season playing for Cronulla's feeder club, the Newtown Jets.

The Age

Last edited:
I would wait for some facts to come out. He was on his Ps which means the reading could be 0.0000001 and the cops would have to charge him. If he was over 0.05 though, well he might be screwed. What is a 28yr old still doing on their P's anyway?

On a P licence, you are required to have a 0.00% breath alcohol concentration by law. However if your reading is under 0.02% you ‘generally’ will generally not be charged. That is QPS policy. It is deemed not to be in the public interest.

So I would suggest he went somewhere between 0.021% and 0.049%. Or he played up...

Still dumb, but lots of people are caught out ‘the morning after’.

Last edited:
I would wait for some facts to come out. He was on his Ps which means the reading could be 0.0000001 and the cops would have to charge him. If he was over 0.05 though, well he might be screwed. What is a 28yr old still doing on their P's anyway?

Exactly this, channel 7 said below 0.05

In the state I live in Low range drink driving is between 0.05% and 0.079%.

There is a seperate offence for driving under 0.05% on your learner or provisional license.
If he was over 0.05% Give him the flick. Totally unacceptable to be here less then two weeks and do this. Let him play reserve grade in NSW for another club.

Last edited:
This may sound bad but I seriously don’t give a ****. A 28 year old below the legal limit (outside of being on his P’s) the next morning has a care factor of below zero for me.

Intentional drink driving = no excuse. Being under the legal limit the next morning? Meh.

This may sound bad but I seriously don’t give a ****. A 28 year old below the legal limit (outside of being on his P’s) the next morning has a care factor of below zero for me.

Intentional drink driving = no excuse. Being under the legal limit the next morning? Meh.
Same here, meh. Will the media let it go though? May force the club into sacking him.

Broncos won’t sack James Segeyaro for drink driving charge

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail

James Segeyaro will not be sacked by the Broncos following revelations the new recruit has been charged for drink-driving just two weeks after arriving at Red Hill.

The Broncos have confirmed they have notified the NRL Integrity Unit of his offence and are working with the governing body to determine an appropriate penalty for the recently signed Brisbane hooker.

Segeyaro joined the Broncos just a fortnight ago, scoring the match-winner against the Roosters in his club debut before playing his second game in Brisbane’s 8-2 defeat of the Warriors on Saturday night.

Segeyaro’s deal with the Broncos expires at season’s end. It is understood he will not have his contract torn up, with the Broncos to consider a fine or suspension that could see Segeyaro miss Brisbane’s next clash against the Titans on Sunday week.

“The Brisbane Broncos can confirm that James Segeyaro has been issued with a notice to appear for driving under the influence of alcohol,” a Broncos statement said.

“Segeyaro recorded a breath test reading well under 0.05 in Brisbane (on Monday) morning, but due to the fact he is on a Provisional Licence he has been issued with a notice to appear.

“The NRL Integrity Unit has been informed and the club is working through the issue in conjunction with them.”

It is believed Segeyaro consumed alcohol on Sunday night after returning home from Brisbane’s trip to New Zealand. He was on his way to get a coffee the following morning when he was stopped by a police offer for a random breath test.

Drivers on their P-plates must record a zero reading.

In the wake of his match-winning try against the Roosters, Segeyaro said he was keen to secure a new deal with the Broncos for 2020 and beyond.

“I’ve always dreamt of playing for the Broncos since I was young,” he said.

“Now I want to be a part of this club for a longer term, I’d love to be here beyond this year but we’ll see what happens.

“I have to keep playing well.”

source: Courier Mail

It was dumb and potentially dangerous but tbh I have probably done it half a dozen times in the last year alone without being pulled over.

Very bad look with his rep but I’m not that concerned about it.

I think you guys are missing the point here. Three weeks ago he was a fucken barista! Now he can’t be bothered making a coffee at home. Obviously we are paying him too much.

He was probably in a rush to get to training unless the team had a day off

He was probably in a rush to get to training unless the team had a day off

We do have the bye. But if he was drinking the night before training, what a dick.

You’re only on your P’s at that age if you keep fucking up, lose your licence, and get to prove yourself by driving on your P’s for a certain time. So he’s a repeat offender.

Not sure how I feel. If he was on a last-chance deal, that should be his last chance.

We do have the bye. But if he was drinking the night before training, what a dick.

You’re only on your P’s at that age if you keep fucking up, lose your licence, and get to prove yourself by driving on your P’s for a certain time. So he’s a repeat offender.

Not sure how I feel. If he was on a last-chance deal, that should be his last chance.

Or he lives in the city where transport is readily available and I’m sure the club helped him out heaps with travelling.

It’s not unusual in Sydney to be on your Ps into your late 20s. I got my greens at 19 and just never bothered to sit the test for my fulls. They just gave me my fulls after 10 years of no offences. A lot of people in Sydney don’t even own a car, I only had a car about 50% of the time between getting my greens and now.

Of course, you could be right but it’s definitely not unheard of to have your Ps at 30.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.