NEWS Seibold’s final warning for failing halves

An hour before the game, but even then it can be changed if someone gets hurt in the warm up.
Guess we'll have to wait till then to know if Dearden is going to get a look in.

It won’t happen this week or perhaps even anytime soon, but I’d love to see Dearden come on to the bench in the utility role. He could come on late in each half (depending on how it’s playing out) to replace Niko, who could shift to hooker to spell McCullough, which I think would have a positive impact on the team overall. And there’s still enough versatility in the backline that we could shift around players to cover pretty much any injury. It would admittedly be a bit rough on Staggs, who I don’t think deserves to be dropped, but knowing the general health of our backs he’d probably still get opportunities to cover injuries, or even replace underperforming starters.

If this happened Dearden would basically be serving the same kind of apprenticeship that Hunt and Niko both served, however I don’t think playing him as a back-up hooker like they were would do him any favours – he’s got to come in and learn the halfback role right from the start.

Seibold has an obsession with 80 minute hookers and Staggs doesn’t deserve to be dropped. If niko or milf are dropped from the 13 they’ll probably drop out of the 17, that’s probably contributing to the delay.

Not sure why Dearden’s being used as threat, who honestly thinks that we’ll gain more on-field leadership and initiative by replacing either Niko or Milf with a teenage debutant?

The spine definitely needs a shakeup, it’s screaming for a leader and shot caller but looking at this current side it should come from replacing the #1 or #9

Leadership is a moot point when neither milf or niko talk on the field. If a kid comes in and barks instructions when we’re attacking and directs players to be in certain positions then we’re already better off. If he possesses at least an average kicking game then we’re cooking with gas.

Last edited:
Good move by seibold to fire a shot across the bow.

Begs the question when he’s going to get his final warning though?

Grow up, you are beyond boring now and bordering on troll status.

Whats going to happen with Dearden with him being built up as the saviour and he doesnt be the controlling halfback we need? Look at Clifford for example. Very good young half but having to take his time and learn next to Morgan not being the organising, dominant half. We dont have that type of player in Milf or Kodi. I dont see Dearden at this moment in time steering this side around.

Same goes for Patty though Wolfie. I honestly don't think he deserves his major talk up just yet either. It sets them all up to disappoint. He is coming on doing a job at the moment but i dont see him being a game breaker yet and that is what we need. None of our forwards bar TPJ are being game breakers atm. Part of that is how they are being used positionally (Offa, gillo and Glenn no flair whatsoever at the moment) and same with the guys off the bench - getting peanut minutes and expected to make any difference. It takes time for combinations to gel and the current ones are not gelling between forwards and halves - its time for a shake up. I hope they are training the hell down at training - the likes of Dearden etc.

Last edited:
Seibold has an obsession with 80 minute hookers and Staggs doesn’t deserve to be dropped. If niko or milf are dropped from the 13 they’ll probably drop out of the 17, that’s probably contributing to the delay.

Leadership is a moot point when neither milf or niko talk on the field. If a kid comes in and barks instructions when we’re attacking and directs players to be in certain positions then we’re already better off. If he possesses at least an average kicking game then we’re cooking with gas.

And I admitted they aren’t fulfilling that role but do we really see a debutant teenager doing that? Extremely unlikely bordering on impossible. We are in desperate need of leadership and guidance out there, were not getting it at 6 or 7 granted but it doesn’t have to come from there.

If Macca were more vocal and a clear leader his status of being a tackle bot would be a lot more acceptable but besides having zero attacking threat or tactical initiative he’s also shirked any responsibility in this side despite being apart of it for 11 years. There’s nothing left to say about Darius that hasn’t already been said.

I don’t think replacing either Niko or Milf with a debutant will give us the on-field authority we’re missing.

Last edited:
Whats going to happen with Dearden with him being built up as the saviour and he doesnt be the controlling halfback we need? Look at Clifford for example. Very good young half but having to take his time and learn next to Morgan not being the organising, dominant half. We dont have that type of player in Milf or Kodi. I dont see Dearden at this moment in time steering this side around.

If we aren't going to make the finals, it may be beneficial to throw Dearden and start getting him acclimatised to the NRL this season. Then next season he is more ready to be our starting halfback and lead a finals charge.

And I admitted they aren’t fulfilling that role but do we really see a debutant teenager doing that? Extremely unlikely bordering on impossible. We are in desperate need of leadership and guidance out there, were not getting it at 6 or 7 granted but it doesn’t have to come from there.

If Macca were more vocal and a clear leader his status of being a tackle bot would be a lot more acceptable but besides having zero attacking threat or tactical initiative he’s also shirked any responsibility in this side despite being apart of it for 11 years. There’s nothing left to say about Darius that hasn’t already been said.

I don’t think replacing either Niko or Milf with a debutant will give us the on-field authority we’re missing.

We’ve staked our future on this kid being the real deal. A trial by fire, which he’s eventually going to get as the starting hb of a struggling Broncos whether we hold him back until later this season or next year, might be what he needs.

Whilst I to defer to Pete's superior knowledge to his readyness to play, if we continue the way we are going, in 3 or 4 games we will be playing (and praying) for pride.
Dearden will get his chance sooner or later. If we continue as we are, he won't be the only promotion either.

Same goes for Patty though Wolfie. I honestly don't think he deserves his major talk up just yet either. It sets them all up to disappoint. He is coming on doing a job at the moment but i dont see him being a game breaker yet and that is what we need. None of our forwards bar TPJ are being game breakers atm. Part of that is how they are being used positionally (Offa, gillo and Glenn no flair whatsoever at the moment) and same with the guys off the bench - getting peanut minutes and expected to make any difference. It takes time for combinations to gel and the current ones are not gelling between forwards and halves - its time for a shake up. I hope they are training the hell down at training - the likes of Dearden etc.

Same doesnt go for Carrigan at all because he has come in, and done the job he is supposed to. He makes good meters, he does his job in defence and hasnt made any errors. Where has anyone ever said Carrigan is a game breaker anyway? Thats a pretty ridiculous statement. I'm not quite sure what you expect from him as a player. If you had ever watched him for QLD, Wynnum or the Broncos u20 side you would know what sort of footballer he is. He absolutely deserves the praise he gets. You just cant compare his role to the role Dearden will be expected to do. In a lot of ways, Dearden has a harder job as the halfback role is a more focal point of the team.

Same doesnt go for Carrigan at all because he has come in, and done the job he is supposed to. He makes good meters, he does his job in defence and hasnt made any errors. Where has anyone ever said Carrigan is a game breaker anyway? Thats a pretty ridiculous statement. I'm not quite sure what you expect from him as a player. If you had ever watched him for QLD, Wynnum or the Broncos u20 side you would know what sort of footballer he is. He absolutely deserves the praise he gets. You just cant compare his role to the role Dearden will be expected to do. In a lot of ways, Dearden has a harder job as the halfback role is a more focal point of the team.

He does his job as a forward and then some, when they do that it should make it easier for the halves and backs to do their flashy game breaking stuff.... Which they don't.

My biggest argument for debuting a new half isn’t that our organising will be better. It’s that it may allow for Knik to be used as a bench hooker which will (IMO) greatly improve us in that position. Surely Deardon can’t be much worse from an organising stand point.

In comparing Clifford and Dearden, I think it may be easier for Dearden to transition into being our organiser, considering Milfs personality. Than what it has been for Clifford being paired up with Morgan who is a strong personality, did his time under Thurston and would be calling the shots.

Milf doesn't seem like a vocal leader and we desperately need one. The question is does Dearden have the self confidence to step into that role and own it?

Last edited:
Why does the news bot always dilute my glorious screamers? In this case it's not even the headline of the story. It's just something some cadet sub, who doesn't follow the NRL, has dropped on the Web site edition.

Mods, issue this bot with a warning. Three points, minimum.

Read your warnings and PMs champ.

He can steer the team around without being the dominant half , I think milf needs to step up for this to happen but.

Actually i have watched Carrigan in the U20s, Wynnum and Qld. He has always reminded me of an Arrow (although Arrow has evolved into a better player now, as will Carrigan i am sure) at the same age. He is a workhorse, but not a gamebreaker. I didnt say you said he was, but it is what we need at the moment. That is the type of prop we need. I agree he has all the makings of a future important player, but some of the talk up on here, i havent seen it to fruition YET. He hasnt had enough time yet in the NRL or even in one game to say he is a "future captain" etc. Nor enough time to be making errors, or being tired to fall off any tackles. That is all. Dearden is showing his goods in ISC, but he does not deserve to be built up as our savior either and i am telling you that he does not want people to say that either.

Last edited:
Looks to me like we're going to have a gamebreaking prop in Haas when he has settled in, a gamebreaking middle forward in TPJ, and a gamebreaking back-rower in Fifita. So I'm happy to balance that with some tough, reliable workhorses like Gillett, Lodge, and Carrigan.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • upthehorse
  • Behold
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Lostboy
  • Galah
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • rj9
  • Dash
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
  • whykickamoocow
  • thenry
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Rowdy124
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.