NEWS Seibold’s final warning for failing halves

Is this a thing? It would explain a lot if it is.

It's the opposite, players are getting moved there because coaches want their own version of Smith or Robbie whether it's in the players best interest or not. The problem is you're putting these players into a box and if they don't understand the position, they'll struggle.

It's the opposite, players are getting moved there because coaches want their own version of Smith or Robbie whether it's in the players best interest or not. The problem is you're putting these players into a box and if they don't understand the position, they'll struggle.
It's just when you said 'too skillful to be made into a dummy half' you make it seem as though halves should only be converted into hookers if they are less skillful, and I just don't understand how being skillful is a detriment. Unless you meant it in the sense that Boyd specifically is too talented a halfback to jeopardise with a risky positional switch. Which I can appreciate, but ultimately once we make a decision on who to anoint as our future halfback we may as well try the other guys as fullbacks or hookers as overdeveloping your back-up halves is just going to get them poached.

It's just when you said 'too skillful to be made into a dummy half' you make it seem as though halves should only be converted into hookers if they are less skillful, and I just don't understand how being skillful is a detriment. Unless you meant it in the sense that Boyd specifically is too talented a halfback to jeopardise with a risky positional switch. Which I can appreciate, but ultimately once we make a decision on who to anoint as our future halfback we may as well try the other guys as fullbacks or hookers as overdeveloping your back-up halves is just going to get them poached.

Yeah, it could have been worded better. Usually when you see young halves transition into dummy halves, it's because they've hit a wall and they make a fist of a new position. Boyd hasn't hit that wall yet and I don't think you'd be doing his development justice by trying to manufacture him as a 9. I see his strengths more as a 7 and would like to see how he goes after a season of QCup.

At this stage, nobody has nailed down a spot. Dearden is the preferred option as of right now, but by the start of 2020 things could be entirely different. If Tanah Boyd was playing well enough to play NRL right now and we needed to find a spot for him, maybe you would try and squeeze him somewhere but for his development into professional football, it's best to do what's right by him.

I'm not worried about other clubs coming along and poaching, as long as the club doesn't fall asleep at the wheel. I look at Melbourne who have lost James Maloney, Cody Walker, Gareth Widdop and Blake Green. They're some of the best halves in the game and they just get on with it.

But you clearly said " i dont see him being a game breaker yet ", you wouldnt be saying that if thats not what you expect from him at some. Its a very odd statement from somebody who has watched him in the u20's, Wynnum and QLD as he has never been and never will be a game breaking player in the mould of TPJ when he is on form. I also find it odd if you have watched him for all those different sides that you wouldn't be able to see he is a born leader and quite easliy a good tip for a Broncos captain in the future when he makes the side regularly. He wasnt even Captain iirc ( @1910 maybe be able to help me out here, i could be wrong though ) when he joined the QLD u20's side but by game day he had made the role his own.

I'd actually argue at this moment in time that we need a game breaking forward. @Chewed made the point, and i think its bang on, that we just need our forwards to do their job and lay the platform for our backs to play. Maybe when we start holding the ball and completing our sets then we can look for that type, but right now, we need solid and reliable forwards doing their job.

I believe we have too many passive, workhorse type forwards. It’s just my opinion mate. You used the word “saviour” when it came to deardon, which I found odd. I didn’t say Carrigan was a game breaker coz clearly he is not. I think that is what we need tho.. again MY opinion only. I’m not saying I don’t like his qualities or don’t see a need for them. I likened him to an Arrow at the same point in their careers. But there is a reason we didn’t keep Arrow, which was a mistake in hindsight, so let’s hope Carrigan does turn into everything you think he will and more. I haven’t seen it yet (in the NRL) and I’ll be the first one to applaud when I do.

It’s a new day, I wonder what iteration of ‘I’m not out of form’ Boyd will come out with today.

It's also Anzac day, how about you quit your bullshit for 24 hours and focus on something that's truly important.

Go to an Anzac Day forum on your high horse mate

Not a clue, I watch every ISC game in full and what they do well and what they need to improve fluctuates weekly. Yet to see any of them nail down a game.
Disappointing. That being the case, no wonder he is persisting with our current two.

Boyd has been the busier player this year, he is more confident and put this down to a few things- he's playing at his own club and he has Dennis who has no desire to play NRL so isn't taking ball off Boyd.

Dearden has been too passive, Scarlett takes all the ball and all the kicks- he still wants to play NRL. How good would it have been to see Dearden with Ben Walker and encouragement and ball he would have got there. Wynnum are too conservative and stifling him. Even Norths would have been excellent choice with Smith.

Boyd is the batsmen that gets a busy 50 playing at everything, Dearden is getting not out 16 leaving everything and watching every ball.

Boyd set up a try for Port on the weekend, went open, looked up saw the kick was on and put it on Port's chest. Dearden would never have tried that at all. He wouldn't have gone open to begin with- he sits on the left hand short side.

Dearden is cover for an injury this week but it's not Nikorima. I want him to stay in ISC and get some enthusiasm I would rather see him throw a intercept than not throw it at the moment.

It’s an interesting point you make about the Boyd and Dennis combo at Souths. I’ve heard it from a few people that it’s harder to excel in the ISC because everyone’s out to try and make themselves look better.

Surely, the only sensible time to make a swap to trying Dearden would be after the bye week where he has had 2 weeks to run solidly with the team.
He has been training with the team since november and has always been in the top 30

Same goes for Patty though Wolfie. I honestly don't think he deserves his major talk up just yet either. It sets them all up to disappoint. He is coming on doing a job at the moment but i dont see him being a game breaker yet and that is what we need. None of our forwards bar TPJ are being game breakers atm. Part of that is how they are being used positionally (Offa, gillo and Glenn no flair whatsoever at the moment) and same with the guys off the bench - getting peanut minutes and expected to make any difference. It takes time for combinations to gel and the current ones are not gelling between forwards and halves - its time for a shake up. I hope they are training the hell down at training - the likes of Dearden etc.
I see Deardon as a 6 not a game controlling 7 Cory Paix is a good game manager but they want him to play 9

Last edited:
I see Deardon as a 6 not a game controlling 7 Cory Paix is a good game manager but they want him to play 9

Maybe boyd for 7 then. I think paix looks like best option for 9 imo

Disappointing. That being the case, no wonder he is persisting with our current two.

I don't think it's dissaointixng, he's 18 and four games in to his career. The concepts are pretty hard things to get and a young half wouldn't normally have them.

When I watch young half I want him to be busy, and having a go at things. The kick might go out on the full or the pass over the sideline but that's all learning and understanding when you use those skills.

At the moment Dearden I don't think is having those 'cracks' whether that is nerves, or anxious I don't know.

I'd just want to see it before he could play NRL. Mistakes I don't care about too much but I would want to see some initiative.

But having said that sometimes they can be showing less in lower grades and then more in first grade. This time 12 months ago I watched Fifita not really doing too much in MM and I thought he's being lazy but when they promoted him to ISC he exploded and within four games he was playing NRL.

Some guys need the challenge but not sure if half is one of those positions.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.