Badel Warning Seibold: leave Darius alone

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
TL;DR: Despite how mindboggling shit he looks, he's actually pretty great.

Anthony Seibold makes passionate plea for critics to lay off skipper Darius Boyd

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
43 minutes ago

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is fed-up with “relentless” attacks on Darius Boyd and has come out swinging in defence of his besieged skipper ahead of Friday night’s blockbuster against Penrith at Suncorp Stadium. Boyd’s offensive game has come under fire since his move from fullback to five-eighth six weeks ago, with the captain making just one run for two metres in Brisbane’s 18-14 derby defeat of the Cowboys last week. In the past fortnight, Boyd has made two runs for seven metres in the famous No.6 jumper once worn by Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, who has urged the 32-year-old to attack the line.

Anthony Seibold has defended under fire playmaker Darius Boyd. Picture: Michael Chambers

Anthony Seibold has defended under fire playmaker Darius Boyd. Picture: Michael Chambers

Now Boyd faces another daunting assignment with the five-eighth convert to oppose one of the code’s most experienced pivots on Friday night in Penrith’s NSW Origin match-winner James Maloney. Seibold has had a gutful of the criticism directed at Boyd, justifying his meagre runs by hinting at the attacking efforts of Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary, who made one run for four metres against Canberra last week. “Everyone needs to back off on Darius,” Seibold fired. “If there’s opportunities to run the footy, he will, but I will say this – Darius for whatever reason seems to be an easy target. “I had a look through the competition from last weekend.

Boyd has been criticised all season. Picture: Ian Hitchcock

Boyd has been criticised all season. Picture: Ian Hitchcock

“There is an Australian No.6 (Keary) playing for a team in Sydney who only made four metres last week and he missed five tackles and not one thing was said in the media. “His team won and our team won. “Because Darius has only done one run, he’s been crucified all week from what I understand.” Since undertaking the biggest positional shift of his career, interchanging with new fullback Anthony Milford, Boyd has lost one of six games at five-eighth. Seibold accepts the Boyd-Jake Turpin scrumbase alliance needs polish but the union was only ever a tactical stop-gap measure, with hooker Turpin operating as a makeshift No.7 after halfbacks Tom Dearden and Sean O’Sullivan suffered injuries.

Seibold pointed out Luke Keary’s similar stats to Boyd last week. Picture: Brett Costello

Seibold pointed out Luke Keary’s similar stats to Boyd last week. Picture: Brett Costello

Turpin has since performed admirably, scoring the match-winner against the Cowboys last week, but Seibold said critics of Boyd were misinterpreting his role in the play-making spine. “Darius’ job is to organise our team,” he said. “He is not an Anthony Milford who is going to take the line on. He is a leader and he has been getting better and better (at five-eighth). “The reality is we have a hooker playing halfback and a fullback at six. That’s where I think they are best suited for our team at the moment.

“Yes we were a bit frantic at certain times of that (Cowboys) game but our defence was outstanding. We missed 10 tackles and didn’t concede a line break. “It’s been really challenging for them (Boyd and Turpin). Essentially they had two sessions to make the change from their respective positions. “Ideally, you do it in the pre-season and give the guys some time to adapt but we have only lost one game from our last six (with Boyd and Turpin in the halves), so most teams will take that.”

Pic: unrelated

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Does Boyd possess some magical talisman that only affects choaches he plays for that make them unable to see just how shit he is whereas literally everyone(I hope by now) else can?

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Does Boyd possess some magical talisman that only affects choaches he plays for that make them unable to see just how shit he is whereas literally everyone(I hope by now) else can?
Perhaps, yes I say perhaps Boyd contributes an intangible. Every time I've mentioned stats I always rea a few responses telling me the stats mean nothing, it's the things that stats don't show. I say fair enough but maybe, just maybe Boyd does something for the team that makes them better.

I'm loving this from Seibold actually. Why? Well he's using the masters tactics, namely building a seige mentality within the team. He's making the world the enemy, it's the Broncos against the media, the fickle fan, the other clubs, the ex players.

From what I can tell the team supports DB and this stuff solidifies the resolve. A lot of us, myself included have been kicking him and it's probably time we stopped. Time for kicking is when the seasons done.

Stix

NRL Player
Jesus wept... Why say this? Really ?
The media are going to have a field day.
Comparing Darius to Keary like this makes Seibold look like a fruitcake!!!

Reactions: Gaz

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
Perhaps, yes I say perhaps Boyd contributes an intangible. Every time I've mentioned stats I always rea a few responses telling me the stats mean nothing, it's the things that stats don't show. I say fair enough but maybe, just maybe Boyd does something for the team that makes them better.

I'm loving this from Seibold actually. Why? Well he's using the masters tactics, namely building a seige mentality within the team. He's making the world the enemy, it's the Broncos against the media, the fickle fan, the other clubs, the ex players.

From what I can tell the team supports DB and this stuff solidifies the resolve. A lot of us, myself included have been kicking him and it's probably time we stopped. Time for kicking is when the seasons done.
The best way for him to stop people from kicking him are with his actions on the field. Milford is copping it more from commentators about not contributing enough which is unfair because Milford is doing a lot already. So Boyd, as captain, needs to step up and give more support to his players. I would love to see Boyd with a show and go this week for a line break, wouldn’t that be amazing.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Clip can be found here:

Look, it's hard to look at those stats from Keary and not wonder if Boyd isn't copping a bit more of a pasting because he's captain of the Broncos, notwithstanding the fact that Boyds workrate is still clearly unacceptable, but I also can't escape the feeling that Seibold must really be digging hard to look for ways to defend Boyd if he needed to go do his homework on how every other half in the comp is doing statistically as compared so he has something to feed the media scrum.

And frankly he picked a poor target in Keary. The Roosters are 2nd on the ladder and Premiership contenders, nobody gives a shit about Keary's stats until they start losing.

Last edited:

Gaz

NRL Player

I've said it before - because he’s stinking this place up doesn’t mean he’s stinking up the players group. Got to be a valid reason why our coach is backing and defending him.

Last edited:

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
“Darius’ job is to organise our team,” he said. “He is not an Anthony Milford who is going to take the line on. He is a leader and he has been getting better and better (at five-eighth).”

So if the attack looks rudderless and disorganised, here’s who we should blame.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
“Darius’ job is to organise our team,” he said. “He is not an Anthony Milford who is going to take the line on. He is a leader and he has been getting better and better (at five-eighth).”

So if the attack looks rudderless and disorganised, here’s who we should blame.
Even Shane Perry would take the line on at some point and time when he was playing at the club good lord FFS.

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
The “he’s learning the role” is a cop out I think. He was useless at fullback and now he’s useless at 5/8 (for mostly the same reasons).

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
Right so how’s this for random, I was patrolling the airport the other having a rather impassioned chat about the Broncs and moving Boyd to left centre.

Some chick was listening in and offered me Siebolds number to pass on my ‘advice’. I just asked her to pass on the message to ask Darbs to retire. Guess my fickle fan view was enough lol

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
The “he’s learning the role” is a cop out I think. He was useless at fullback and now he’s useless at 5/8 (for mostly the same reasons).
He was deteriorating rapidly at one important spine position so let’s move him to a more important spine role. That’ll wind back the clock.

Seibollocks

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Right so how’s this for random, I was patrolling the airport the other having a rather impassioned chat about the Broncs and moving Boyd to left centre.

Some chick was listening in and offered me Siebolds number to pass on my ‘advice’. I just asked her to pass on the message to ask Darbs to retire. Guess my fickle fan view was enough lol
Mate, you fucked up there. Seibold would have had to get new number had that been me lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter