NEWS Seibold tells Boyd he will play centre next season

I mean I'm not saying it's not possible but maybe Macca wants to secretly kill innocent babies while they're just trying to have their next bottle of milk but he doesn't do that so he can continue to earn 500k a year playing like a tortoise with a 9 on his back.

It's possible but I can only go by what I've seen, which is Macca is a good guy and a shit player and Lodge was an absolute dumb **** who instead of ending up in jail knuckled down, worked hard, took shit contracts and re-signed for less money rather than taking the easy option of going back to Sydney once he had a foot in the NRL door. He never once denied he did the wrong thing, he made amends, he took the long road back to the NRL. I admire the guy, not because of he was but because of the steps he took to get back into the position he is in. Most people can't do that, Roberts is still a dumb **** 4-5 clubs later of being sacked.

Mate what i suggested might not be that likely in your head but it is a hell of a lot more likely than the dribble you have just used to try enforce your point.

Mate what i suggested might not be that likely in your head but it is a hell of a lot more likely than the dribble you have just used to try enforce your point.
Of course it's just dribble, it's far fetched on purpose but really all we can do is judge people on what they've shown. If we're going to dabble into what a person may really think we can go as absurd as we like.

Lodge made a mistake - for sure - a really bad one too! But do we condemn a guy forever or do we judge him by his actions afterwards where I think he's done everything a person can realistically do to show remorse, and turn this life around for the better.

He's paid for his crimes, literally.
He's done his time.
He's taken the hard road to redemption.
He's kept his nose clean.
He's actively participated in the community to help others avoid making the mistakes he did.
It's been years.

What more can someone do to earn a genuine second chance at life?

Last edited:
I don't know, I think if I had kids and they were dumb enough to base their life choices off a footy player, then someone who fucked up when he was 19/20 but turned his life around, paid his dues, and stuck firm in the face of adversity to reach the top of his profession when the easy choice was to give up, that sounds exactly like who I'd want my kids to aspire to be like.

Pretty good guy in my books.
Not that I don't respect Lodge for his strength of character to turn his life around and walk the walk, but I'd prefer they base their life choices on someone like Alex Glenn or Matt Gillett, who chose not to be a fuckwit in the first place, not someone who was pushed to do it after being faced with very serious consequences, like a stint on Rikers Island...

Last edited:
Of course it's just dribble, it's far fetched on purpose but really all we can do is judge people on what they've shown. If we're going to dabble into what a person may really think we can go as absurd as we like.

Lodge made a mistake - for sure - a really bad one too! But do we condemn a guy forever or do we judge him by his actions afterwards where I think he's done everything a person can realistically do to show remorse, and turn this life around for the better.

He's paid for his crimes, literally.
He's done his time.
He's taken the hard road to redemption.
He's kept his nose clean.
He's actively participated in the community to help others avoid making the mistakes he did.
It's been years.

What more can someone do to earn a genuine second chance at life?

Even if i did agree with what you are saying and we were to ignore all of the off field stuff. A captain should be disciplined on the field, which he is not. A captain should be present on field all game to make team decisions and lead the boys around which he is not. Do we make a 50 minute prop captain because the other young lads look up to him? I'm no Coach but i certainly wouldn't.

Even if i did agree with what you are saying and we were to ignore all of the off field stuff. A captain should be disciplined on the field, which he is not. A captain should be present on field all game to make team decisions and lead the boys around which he is not. Do we make a 50 minute prop captain because the other young lads look up to him? I'm no Coach but i certainly wouldn't.
Yeah and that's fair, I think there's plenty of reasons for Lodge to not be captain.

He wouldn't be my choice FYI, I would 100% choose Alex Glenn, give him 2 years then probably Payne Haas after that but if the club decides to go with Lodge and I guess a co-captain since he only plays 50 minutes, I won't morally object to it.

Not that I don't respect Lodge for his strength of character to turn his life around and walk the walk, but I'd prefer they base their life choices on someone like Alex Glenn or Matt Gillett, who chose not to be a fuckwit in the first place, not someone who was pushed to do it after being faced with very serious consequences, like a stint on Rikers Island...
FWIW, I agree. I think someone who's always been a clean skin ranks ahead and I would definitely like Glenn to be captain. Gillett... Eh, he's a great bloke for sure but I just can't shake the feeling he might decline very significantly and we're back in the Boyd situation of carrying him because it's hard to dump your captain. If I was more convinced Gillett could get back to his best, I'd back him for captain 100%.

Well I think it does matter. I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to move on I'm simply saying that I don't want a bloke with his history, captaining our side. A lot of people look up to professional athletes, the Captain of the Brisbane Broncos will garner even more admiration. I know I wouldn't want my kids looking up to a bloke who is capable of what he has shown.
[automerge]1569142121[/automerge]

I did and it didn't appear to show everything that was mentioned. They might be fine.....I wouldn't know. Still don't want him as Captain.
You say 'what he is capable of'. If you thought deeply enough about people and understood that we ALL are capable of bad behaviour you may be more forgiving. People like to think that only a person who has done something wrong is capable of such acts but any person under the neccessary conditions is capable of outrageous wrongs and acts. There's plenty of evidence to prove that.

Why Lodge?

Pretty sure he captained youth teams including rep sides from memory. I’m also sure was early identified as having leadership qualities and was added to the leadership group, something Bennett commented on a few times, and I think he has been groomed for a leadership role since he got to the club. A lot of broncos players have mentioned looking up to him, and seeing him as a mentor , and when recently asked about who should be broncos captain apparently his name was the one put forward.

So...probably cause those reasons I imagine.

B
But we aren’t asking the players to make life choices based on the captain. We want them to focus and push hard when things are going to shit and Lodge can lead them in doing that.

B

But we aren’t asking the players to make life choices based on the captain. We want them to focus and push hard when things are going to shit and Lodge can lead them in doing that.
You need to look at the context, especially the post I was replying to. I was talking about children following an example...

My reservations on Lodge are much more of a practical nature, such as his time off the field during each game, and my opinion that while he may lead by example, he lacks the mental acuity to deliver what is demanded of a Broncos captain.

You need to look at the context, especially the post I was replying to. I was talking about children following an example...

My reservations on Lodge are much more of a practical nature, such as his time off the field during each game, and my opinion that while he may lead by example, he lacks the mental acuity to deliver what is demanded of a Broncos captain.

If we’re stuck with Boyd at centre he can be captain when Lodge is off. Otherwise Gillett or Glenn will probably be on during the time Lodge is off.

Plenty of Captains haven’t been 80 minute players.

They ( the board ) chose to go with a long term coach and it’s reasonable to assume they also want the same with the club captain.

Glen, my choice, is at the end of his career and Gillett unfortunately is only a game to game proposition as he showed towards the end of the season.

Lodge, although still a bit rough around the edges is the players choice and that in my humble opinion holds a lot of water. As far as a PR disaster goes most of us accepted and got over it when he joined and we'll get over it again when he's made captain.

There is really no one else and once again highlights the lack of forward planning. It appears to me the board and sponsors have accepted mediocrity for far too long while getting 30k at Lang Park and prime time television. But it’s all caught up with them with the 58 blot thrashing that has changed everything. One can only hope so.

I honestly feel like giving up on this club and its fucking management. Its hard for me as someone who gets overly emotional and passionate about the broncos to see them constantly makes horrible decisions.

For someone with anxiety I feel like I just need to take a break.

So Boyd gets another year to derp it up in another position. Would much rather bird stayed and Boyd was free to leave.
I think you might have misunderstood our salary cap obligations. We can't just cut one and keep the other unless someone picks up the contract or the player leaves voluntarily. I'm sure you can appreciate that while Bird has potential interest from other clubs, it's highly unlikely you could say the same about Boyd, so the only one we can release and get some cap relief with is Bird.
[automerge]1569190182[/automerge]
They ( the board ) chose to go with a long term coach and it’s reasonable to assume they also want the same with the club captain.

Glen, my choice, is at the end of his career and Gillett unfortunately is only a game to game proposition as he showed towards the end of the season.

Lodge, although still a bit rough around the edges is the players choice and that in my humble opinion holds a lot of water. As far as a PR disaster goes most of us accepted and got over it when he joined and we'll get over it again when he's made captain.

There is really no one else and once again highlights the lack of forward planning. It appears to me the board and sponsors have accepted mediocrity for far too long while getting 30k at Lang Park and prime time television. But it’s all caught up with them with the 58 blot thrashing that has changed everything. One can only hope so.
I just think that if we could squeeze another season or two out of Glenn as Captain (assuming Boyd does not retain it) then we'll be in a much better position to promote Lodge from within a leadership group up to outright Captain in a season or two's time one some more time has passed and more of his football has done the talking to the media/sponsors/fans, plus he'll have had the benefit of learning and refining his leadership under another highly respected figure in Glenn.

Last edited:
File your insurance claims lads, next season is a write-off.

If they've already decided that Boyd will play Centre, surely they must have something up their sleeve in terms of a Fullback/Half? Especially with Bird now free to leave?

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • bert_lifts
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Manifesto
  • Astro
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Manofoneway
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.