VOTE Should Milford be dropped immediately?

Should Milford be dropped immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • No, that would be too easy. He should suffer longer.

Votes: 16 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I think "get involved more" I am thinking Thurston level of involvement for 1 milli Milf.
He should be involved in everything, touching the ball multiple times a set. The guy should be fit and able to move around the field being on the ball every chance he can get. Instead we get what is currently being dished up.

It is lifeless boring footy, no creation, no spontaneity, no energy and total lack of desire. So I say drop him, if that does not wake him up, waltz into the dressing room, plant one on his chin and drop him for a 10 count and then plant a few on Boyd because their both dishing up shit. That my friends is unacceptable in the bigs.

Milford is not Thurston. He never was, is or will be. He was paid to do what does when we signed him, in those heady days of '15 and '16 when he was allowed to play his natural game behind a well formed pack of forwards who had decent shape, structure and energy and desire. We have none of that at the moment, and that rubs off onto everyone, particularly those players who rely on that so they can show what they have.

What this club tried to do to Milford has been done to death on these forums - trying to turn him into Locky or Thurston, instead of building a team which capitalises on his strengths as opposed to watering them down by making him into something he simply isn't.

This side this year has failed to adapt to the new 6 Again rule, has failed to develop shapes and structures to compete against teams who have, and in such failures, has crippled our attacking weapons like Milford, as well as diminishing the energy - physical and mental, of the whole squad. There are few opportunities for Milford to use his footwork when all he has to work with is a shallow, uncoordinated attack, a new half back who is in a similar situation and a brick wall defence which rushes up to nullify our poor formations before we can start anything positive from happening. There is little support play, little offloading, little zeal and impact.

When Milford does get space and time, he has done well: set up Oates to bomb tries, set up Boyd to score them, kicked for Coates to score and his game generally in Rds 1 and 2 before the new Rule wrecked us, was ok given the essentially new team on the park. It was good to see in those 2 games for example that at least we had Fifita and TPJ planted on the edges with obvious results. Since then, injuries inexperience, constantly shuffled positions and poor adaptation to the changes in the game have screwed us.

I am like everyone here, hoping that the next fe games will see our side adapt better, and give Milford and Croft more space and time say to allow him to create the opportunities we so badly need.

I agree his energy is down and I am looking forward to the next few games, hoping Milford and Croft get what they need from the pack which has to perform as a group and individually, and a wide, deep backline running onto the ball. If not, then I am sure Milford will get cut as a fall guy more than anything and we will see Dearden come into the side equally set up to fail, which at his age and inexperience would be sad to see.

Fingers crossed

When I think "get involved more" I am thinking Thurston level of involvement for 1 milli Milf.
He should be involved in everything, touching the ball multiple times a set. The guy should be fit and able to move around the field being on the ball every chance he can get. Instead we get what is currently being dished up.

Goddamn but I hated JT as an opposition player because of this very trait. He was everywhere, doing everything, and if they did something good, doubtless he had a hand in it.

Do we think Milford draws any level of hatred from opposition fans?

It is mate.

No, it's Seibold's. Look at the pics I posted earlier how our entire team wanders about aimlessly in clumps and explain to me how Milford is supposed to deal with that on the park. Ask the ref for time out so he can walk around telling the entire team where to stand?
[automerge]1593042667[/automerge]
you sound like you're trying to absolve him of all responsibility.

we should rename milford to teflon. it's like, never his fault for anything. it's always another player/position/coach that's causing him to be an absolute dud. couldn't be the player, never...

has another broncos player ever been given such leeway?

Of course he has a role to play, and responsibilities to perform. I am simply trying to point out that context is everything.
[automerge]1593042694[/automerge]
he should watch some videos of JT to learn how a 5/8 can be more involved.

See my later post

Last edited:
No, it's Seibold's. Look at the pics I posted earlier how our entire team wanders about aimlessly in clumps and explain to me how Milford is supposed to deal with that on the park. Ask the ref for time out so he can walk around telling the entire team where to stand?
[automerge]1593042667[/automerge]

Of course he has a role to play, and responsibilities to perform. I am simply trying to point out that context is everything.
[automerge]1593042694[/automerge]

See my later post

Specifics ? How about touch the ball?

how many times a set did JT or Locky touch the ball per set? JT would have his hands on it three or four times.

So Seibold should walk out on the field and tell them where to be? They get tired and lazy and it’s the job of the halves (fullback,too) to scream at the team to call the forwards out and get them moving where they should be. It’s that simple.

Why was Alfie called the General?

Because Alfie was.

As for Seibold, his job is to create the shapes and structure at training so like the Roosters and Eels say, they are automatic and immediate as soon as the ball is kicked off. Seibold has excuses given the injuries and suspensions however, my patience with him is wearing thin as other's is with Milford
[automerge]1593043173[/automerge]
Specifics ? How about touch the ball?

how many times a set did JT or Locky touch the ball per set? JT would have his hands on it three or four times.

That I agree with. That part of his game needs to lift. Yes. It would of course help if had some support from his team mates, yet still, that is on Milf.

Last edited:
Because Alfie was.

As for Seibold, his job is to create the shapes and structure at training so like the Roosters and Eels say, they are automatic and immediate as soon as the ball is kicked off. Seibold has excuses given the injuries and suspensions however, my patience with him is wearing thin as other's is with Milford
[automerge]1593043173[/automerge]

That I agree with. That part of his game needs to lift. Yes. It would of course help if had some support from his team mates, yet still, that is on Milf.

I don’t want to seem like it’s an issue of blaming Seibold or blaming Milford. They both aren’t doing their jobs.

Can I just say, I absolutely hate the on field coaching done by refs. They pick and choose when to warn players and it is generally (like all things NRL), unprofessional and all one way traffic. It isn't their job to tell players what to do, it is their job to penalise infringements and make the game fair for both sides. It is hard to believe they are so incompetent at what should be their only two KPIs. This isn't helping the young Broncs who mostly seem mentally fragile, including the million dollar baby.

I don't find it surprising that Lodge seems the only one who keeps on trying when the chips are down.

Reminder to all: poll closes this evening. Only 101 more votes needed for Milford to keep his job. He's counting on you!

So what is Milford supposed to do. Specifics please.
When I think ‘get involved’, I always think of this match.

From fullback, Lockyer was in everything, and I mean everything. As I recall, then Australian coach Chris Anderson said post match, something to the effect of it being the most involved / dominant performance he had seen from any individual during his entire rugby league career.

Lockyer was 26 at the time, the same age as Milford will be come November this year.

From fullback, Lockyer was in everything, and I mean everything. As I recall, then Australian coach Chris Anderson said post match, something to the effect of it being the most involved / dominant performance he had seen from any individual during his entire rugby league career.

Lockyer was 26 at the time, the same age as Milford will be come November this year.

I can't like this enough.

That's what million dollar players do.

Quotes from Lockyer today re: the calls for Dearden to replace Milford

"People are sort of saying Milford needs to get the ball and run it more because we know he's a great runner of the football but Tom Dearden's very similar to a Brodie Croft in that he's an organising halfback with a kicking game," Lockyer said.

"So I think if people are saying Milford needs to run it more … Look, I rate Tom Dearden highly, he's a kid with great talent and he's got a great attitude. His time will come but I don't know that putting him in for Milford is the logical answer right now."

Milford is not Locky, never was and never will be. Lockyer, like Thurston, was the complete footballer. Milford has the skills but he is not a leader of men as was Locky and JT.

I wish people would stop the comparisons with Locky. It was the initial "Milf is the next Locky" which marked his decline. Nobody can be made into a Lockyer or JT. They are just born that way. It can't be coached, but when comparisons are made, what skills they have can be coached out of them in such a vain pursuit, which is exactly what happened to Milf starting with Bennett's attempt to re-create what simply can't be done.

Last edited:
So Seibold should walk out on the field and tell them where to be? They get tired and lazy and it’s the job of the halves (fullback,too) to scream at the team to call the forwards out and get them moving where they should be. It’s that simple.

Why was Alfie called the General?
I always thought Alfie was called the general cos Wally was the king?

I always thought Alfie was called the general cos Wally was the king?
And Wally had both the running game and the playmaking game perfected and while being largely noted as a 5/8th he even played halfback at times during his career and started out as a lock and finished his career with the Broncos at lock. Lewis alongside other club 5/8ths Walters and Lockyer showed you can have 5/8ths who possess both aspects to their game.
[automerge]1593058753[/automerge]
Renouf: Milford must stand up for Broncos or face axe

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/25/renouf-milford-must-stand-up-for-broncos-or-face-axe/

The Broncos need Anthony Milford to stand up against the Titans and show everyone the quality player that he can be.

Saturday night is D-Day for Milford. Anthony Seibold has shown his hand by picking Tom Dearden on the bench.

That is obviously a decision that Seibold believes is best for the team but it is also a warning to Milford and Brodie Croft that if they don't perform there is a young half ready to take their spot.

Since coming back from the enforced break Milford has hardly fired a shot.

Milford is at his best when he is running the ball. Before writing this column I had a look at the dazzling try he scored against the Rabbitohs in round two where he beat six defenders just by backing himself.

It was from broken field play but it is something he can try and do at any stage. In that try he wanted the ball and he was determined. Milf has the speed and the footwork to cause headaches for any defence in traffic as well. I have seen him do it in Origin when he's had a chance.

He is a strike player and we have seen him do it.

Unfortunately Milford just hasn't performed in the last month. Last week's game against Newcastle highlighted where he is at with his football. He went missing. It was picked out by Joey Johns on Channel Nine and he hit the nail on the head.

I was thinking during the game 'Where is he?' He is the number six and he says he wants the ball in his hands but he seemed to be everywhere the ball wasn't.

It is simple. Get the ball in your hands.

He really doesn't have any excuse. If he doesn't perform against the Gold Coast then I don't see why he should be in the team to play the Warriors next week.

The Broncos have replaced Jamayne Isaako at fullback with Tesi Niu but they could have axed half a dozen, and Milford would definitely have been in that group.

Every half in the game could blame their own lack of impact on their forwards not getting momentum. Good players don't need excuses to be made for them though.

Allan Langer would always drag us out of a mess. We were never perfect but there was always someone who would pick up the slack for us.

This team doesn't have that at the moment but Milford is in a position where he should be taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making it his own.

His forwards can help him in this regard as well of course. Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai can offload. It is time for Milf to follow them and get that second-phase play going. It is really time for the Broncos pack to also live up to their reputations.

It concerns me that since 2015 Milford has only shown glimpses of his best. He is one of the most experienced players in the team with 170-odd games and he should be standing up, but he's not.

He was given an opportunity to get the ball in his hands more at fullback last year but that didn't work out. Milford is back at six where he has really shone in the past. He showed that in 2015 where he was so close to winning the Clive Churchill Medal and a premiership.

Milf is such a lovely lad but he needs a rocket. I'm sure he can fire for Brisbane this week if he gets himself involved and runs the ball. If he does it can be the start of a Broncos resurgence. I am really expecting a big game from him.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.