VOTE Anthony Seibold Discussion

Should Seibold be sacked immediately?

• Total voters
I don't know, Leigh Matthews, Nathan Buckley and a million other former star players have gone on to epic coaching careers in the AFL.

Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler don't go so bad in the NRL.
Bellamy played with Stuart at the raiders.

Bennett played for brothers and represented Qld in the 70s.

Etc... most current top tier coaches are former players many with premierships and rep careers....

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Anyone else see it like this?

- Roosters are absolutely ruthless with their recruitment and retention/shopping of players. RTS gone? Fine we'll get Tedesco. Matterson wants more money? Fine we'll get Crichton. Snagging Keary after Souths gave him the boot, he's gone on to become one of the smartest and best 5/8s in the game. Enough old heads to steady the ship and carry the culture and standards required to play at a consistently high level for years. All overseen by a CEO who will stop at nothing to get his way.

- Storm, everything revolves around Bellamy and the scouting team there. They are what the Broncos used to be with identifying talent. They have several generations worth of talent each as good as the next. Blessed with 3 of the greatest to ever play the game yeah, but the culture, standards and commitment to excellence is ridiculous. Since Bellamy became head coach 17 years ago, they haven't finished lower than 6th (cap cheating spoon notwithstanding). People say Maguire is a 'taskmaster' and goes to hard on players - well Bellamy does that every week and yet they always seem to respond. He knows exactly how to ride the line between kicking them up the arse and making sure he doesn't have his players hate him.

The culture at the Broncos fucking stinks, it reeks beyond comprehension. It's like the head office is in a slow motion car crash that has been going on for years. How has this been allowed to happen? I know you can't be at the top forever but **** me, even some semblance of competence and professionalism wouldn't go astray. This is how clubs fade into obscurity if it's allowed to go on too long, perception becomes reality. With a 2nd Brisbane team just around the corner some serious action has to be taken.

Last edited:
Bellamy played with Stuart at the raiders.

Bennett played for brothers and represented Qld in the 70s.

Etc... most current top tier coaches are former players many with premierships and rep careers....

But how many went straight into a head coaching gig the year after retiring?

But how many went straight into a head coaching gig the year after retiring?
None that I can name. Fitler coached the Roosters (and failed badly) two years out from playing. Same with Nathan Brown. Trent Barret took about 5 years. Hasler 7.

Ricky Stuart was probably the quickest transition: one year out of the game. And I think he's a pretty good one to compare with Smith. He was talented as a player, though not as good as Alfie, but what set him apart was his game smarts. His tactical kicking, and marshalling the opposition. You could tell even as a player he'd make a great coach. He won a premiership in his first year. But then you had to deal with his personality.

There aren't many players in the game right now that scream coach in the making. Smith is the standout by far. I reckon Cronk might have it in him, too.

Last edited:
Anyone else see it like this?

- Roosters are absolutely ruthless with their recruitment and retention/shopping of players. RTS gone? Fine we'll get Tedesco. Matterson wants more money? Fine we'll get Crichton. Snagging Keary after Souths gave him the boot, he's gone on to become one of the smartest and best 5/8s in the game. Enough old heads to steady the ship and carry the culture and standards required to play at a consistently high level for years. All overseen by a CEO who will stop at nothing to get his way.

- Storm, everything revolves around Bellamy and the scouting team there. They are what the Broncos used to be with identifying talent. They have several generations worth of talent each as good as the next. Blessed with 3 of the greatest to ever play the game yeah, but the culture, standards and commitment to excellence is ridiculous. Since Bellamy became head coach 17 years ago, they haven't finished lower than 6th (cap cheating spoon notwithstanding). People say Maguire is a 'taskmaster' and goes to hard on players - well Bellamy does that every week and yet they always seem to respond. He knows exactly how to ride the line between kicking them up the arse and making sure he doesn't have his players hate him.

The culture at the Broncos fucking stinks, it reeks beyond comprehension. It's like the head office is in a slow motion car crash that has been going on for years. How has this been allowed to happen? I know you can't be at the top forever but **** me, even some semblance of competence and professionalism wouldn't go astray. This is how clubs fade into obscurity if it's allowed to go on too long, perception becomes reality. With a 2nd Brisbane team just around the corner some serious action has to be taken.

The only thing that is keeping the 'brand' afloat is fan loyalty. I say brand because the club (as we knew it) no longer exists. That winning culture, that justified arrogance on the field, that ability to overcome perceived NSWRL/Refs/judiciary bias and win despite a dozen other excuses that might be described as adversity. All that has been slowly discarded, traded in for the sole purpose of turning a profit for shareholders. It's a mere shell of the once mighty Broncos and that shell is as thin as the patience of most of the Broncos die-hard fans. If the team is still losing come the season's end and Siebold is still at the helm then I'd hazard a guess and say many of those long-term fans will be so disillusioned that they will never return. Even if the club starts winning again!

Unfortunately, the personnel in the front office determines the playing group on the field. This current group's string of stuff-ups resemble Mr Bean, his parents and all his siblings producing a weapons grade shitshow.

I feel for the youngsters currently coming through. Their naked enthusiasm for success for the club is matched only by their naivety.

Young lions being led by old donkeys.

So only great players can't be coaches?

Rugby league immortal Bob Fulton?

Mal leading QLD to what will probably be the best steak in origin ever?
I’m not arguing for or against. I’m just saying Wayne and Bellamy weren’t greats of the game during their playing days.

Last edited:
The only thing that is keeping the 'brand' afloat is fan loyalty. I say brand because the club (as we knew it) no longer exists. That winning culture, that justified arrogance on the field, that ability to overcome perceived NSWRL/Refs/judiciary bias and win despite a dozen other excuses that might be described as adversity. All that has been slowly discarded, traded in for the sole purpose of turning a profit for shareholders. It's a mere shell of the once mighty Broncos and that shell is as thin as the patience of most of the Broncos die-hard fans. If the team is still losing come the season's end and Siebold is still at the helm then I'd hazard a guess and say many of those long-term fans will be so disillusioned that they will never return. Even if the club starts winning again!

Unfortunately, the personnel in the front office determines the playing group on the field. This current group's string of stuff-ups resemble Mr Bean, his parents and all his siblings producing a weapons grade shitshow.

I feel for the youngsters currently coming through. Their naked enthusiasm for success for the club is matched only by their naivety.

Young lions being led by old donkeys.

Things are certainly not what they should be, after 18 months of a new coach who is clearly struggling. Judgement will be passed on Seibold by the end of this year.

However, when I read about the shit that was the Eels over what, 7 years 2010 - 2015, or the Sharks with all their sex, drugs and rock n'roll, I don't feel quite so bad.

Last edited:
The only thing that is keeping the 'brand' afloat is fan loyalty. I say brand because the club (as we knew it) no longer exists.
How deep does a ship need to sink before you sack the coach?

Screenshot 2020 08 07 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

Last edited:
Yeah, that one's a puzzle.

It is.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes, when addressing deep problems, advancing simplistic solutions and not paying enough attention to complexity, and maybe compounding this ignorance through confirmation bias, tends to lead to a much worse outcomes.

I am not accusing you of this, however at times, this happens a bit on here, and I am guilty of it as well..

Last edited:
I’m not arguing for or against. I’m just saying Wayne and Bellamy weren’t greats of the game during their playing days.
Benny played for QLD and Australia in the 70s. It's before my time but you'd have to think a Queenslander getting picked for Australia during those ridiculously pro-NSW times would have had to be pretty good.

Benny played for QLD and Australia in the 70s. It's before my time but you'd have to think a Queenslander getting picked for Australia during those ridiculously pro-NSW times would have had to be pretty good.
Precisely!

It is.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes, when addressing deep problems, advancing simplistic solutions and not paying enough attention to complexity, and maybe compounding this ignorance through confirmation bias, tends to lead to a much worse outcomes.

I am not accusing you of this, however at times, this happens a bit on here, and I am guilty of it as well..
I agree. Having confirmed that though many a time the simple solution stares you in the face and it seems too obvious that it gets discarded as being too reductive.

Often a failing group will also obfuscate and throw up a plethora of strawmen in an attempt to baffle people with bullshit. In a results driven sport/industry/organisation those For and Against charts and winning percentages do not paint a complex problem here.

It points unequivocally to abject systemic failure.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
  • Skyblues87
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.