Should the Broncos make a play for Benji Marshall?

Re: Benji Marshall asks for immediate release to come back to NRL

I would have thought that Benji would be keen on going to the Storm because of the lack of rugby league interest there as opposed to Sydney. Going to the Sharks would attract much more focus on him, something which, if he's smart, he doesn't want right now.

Then again, if he was smart, he wouldn't have gone to the Blues and suggested that he could make the All Blacks.

[MENTION=8468]Cult3[/MENTION]

His wife works in the media in Kiwi land.

She has a better chance of work in Sydney. She won't want to lower her 'standards' by moving to Brisbane.

I would have thought that Benji would be keen on going to the Storm because of the lack of rugby league interest there as opposed to Sydney. Going to the Sharks would attract much more focus on him

But that's what he wants. It's all about him & his wife.

IMO: Benji thought it would be easy going to Union.

Last edited:
Re: Should the broncos make a play for benji Marshall

cant believe people actually want him here. absolute turnstile in defense. attack has been average for years. loves himself too much. everything would be about him. look what he did to the tigers. sook

would rather watch hoffman not pass for the rest of the season than marshall put on a broncos jersey

I'd like to preface this by saying that at the end of last year, my answer would have been a definite no.

However at this time, many things have changed and now my answer is a resounding yes.

1 Benji has now lost his right to demand big dollars in the NRL
2 He needs a bridge contract for this year, show all that he is not washed up, and then at the end of 2014 get whatever contract he can. Anybody playing for a future contract is a good thing.
3 By moving to NZ, he most likely has less reason to require a club in Sydney. He can do the footy show or whatever from Brisbane.
4 We need a 5/8. To note here is that in recent times he is not the player he was 5 years plus ago. He is a lot more steady, he has a decent kicking game, can kick goals and would be a good foil for Ben Hunt. The days of him stepping half the defensive line and doing flick passes are long gone. At the same time, his defence is not horrible like it once was and his shoulders have remained in tact for many years now.
5 We are going fairly well currently. Given all these points, space in our cap and the unlikelihood of Benji staying on beyond this year ... I say sign him up for 2014 for sure. With teams like Souths, Roosters, Storm etc looking very beatable, wow we have an open comp right now. Could we win a premiership in 2014 ? Its not completely impossible. Benji might also see us as a good option to prove himself for the remainder of this year, given our decent form and strong pack.
6 Hoffman to the wing, Copley to the centres, Reed to the backrow or bench. Barba looks like he could break down at any moment. Hodges is a day to day proposition. Who knows what injuries are just around the corner.

Sign him up.

Oink !

Last edited:

cant believe people actually want him here. absolute turnstile in defense. attack has been average for years. loves himself too much. everything would be about him. look what he did to the tigers. sook

would rather watch hoffman not pass for the rest of the season than marshall put on a broncos jersey

The Tigers had Robbie Farrah and not much else. Benji was king shit in that side.

We have some decent names in our side already. Benji would know he can't walk in and act like a prima donna. He would be playing for his future. He would need to knuckle down, earn respect from everybody in league all over again if he is to get the contract he wants in 2015 and beyond.

Oink !

I'd take him for the year. We only really have one half at the moment, coupled with a third winger 'roaming' around the field, terminating backline shifts.

I'd take him if he didn't want much money, but I'm sure that won't be the case. When he left, it's like he was oblivious to how far he'd slid in terms of usefulness. He quit the NRL thinking he was still one of the top halves, that he'd still make the Kiwi team, and that he was going to Union to grace that game with his presence. Even the way his exit from Union has been written, like he's miffed that the unfair coach has given him little game time, that he may even be dropped? Surely these people are idiots, and those in the NRL know what he's worth and will agree to his elite price tag.

That, and his last year in the NRL showed how pitiful his defence is. SHUT UP RIGHT NOW IF YOU'RE ABOUT TO SAY THAT HALVES AREN'T THERE FOR THEIR DEFENCE. Just... no. Be quiet. We're winning games at the moment not simply because we're scoring more points, but because we're stopping more points. If we hadn't defended so well in the first 20 minutes against the Knights the result would have been very different. And the game's we've lost were because we couldn't prevent soft, easy tries. Anyone else remember when we played the Tigers last year and both Gillett and Prince easily brushed Bunji aside for a clear run to the line? Yeah, enjoy that every single week... except the points going against us.

Would happily take him for the rest of this year and go from there. Nothing more until he's played out the rest of the season.

Hoffman to the wing outside Hodges, and Copley and Vidot down the other side.

Matty Johns show said tonight that his wife wants to move to Sydney.

I'd take him for the rest of this season, but not beyond, Fullback / Five-Eighth / Hooker are 100% locked up for next season, and with the way Hunt is playing, there's no way we're replacing him with BenG in the long run.

Once Milford is guaranteed (of course nothing is set in stone til he shows at pre-season in November), he can Qcup it and show if he's worth a spot in first grade. Rest of the year deal on minimal money. He can be in the team so long as we're winning and he's contributing to that. Keeps his head and ego in check, no dumb shit on or off the field. Will be under extreme pressure especially if he comes during a nice form patch for the team. That's only if he were to come. If I'm Gee, I'm not going out of our way to get him

Take Benji for this season and if Milford renegs by round 13 we look at extending it.

He's been spotted in Brisbane and I've heard 2 radio stations saying that they can't reveal the source but he's coming to the Broncos. Triple-M (yeah I know) said he'd only count for $60k under the cap.

He's been spotted in Brisbane and I've heard 2 radio stations saying that they can't reveal the source but he's coming to the Broncos. Triple-M (yeah I know) said he'd only count for $60k under the cap.

Interesting

If any of this is true and we can get him for only 60k under the cap, we would literally be retarded not to.

If we do sign him I hope that isn't a sign Milford has reneged

sign him up for the rest of 2014.

make it happen whitey.

I just can't see Hook using Marshall and displacing any of the current backs, unless he is used as utility off the bench.

I can't see this happening to be honest.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Old Mate
  • rj9
  • Bish
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.