NEWS Slow news day: Ben Ikin names his Broncos team of the decade from 2010-2019

I went with players who played more games because they made me sad more often?
If you wanted to include Thaiday in a context that truely made people sad you should have included him at Dummy Half. Still gives me nightmares all these years on.

Worst 17 of the decade
1 Ben Barba
2 Lachlan Maranta
3 Jordan Drew
4 Gehamat Shibasaki
5 Greg Eden
6 Corey Norman
7 Kodi Nikorima
8 Martin Kennedy
9 Travis Waddell
10 Korbin Sims
11 Sam Thaiday
12 Sam Tagatese
13 Todd Lowrie

Josh Hoffman at Five-Eighth over Norman. I think putting Waddell at 9 is actually off as well, he wasn't bad for us when he got thrown in.

1. Ben Barba
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Jordan Drew
4. Aaron Whitchurch
5. Greg Eden
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Martin Kennedy
9. Sam Thaiday
10. Korbin Sims
11. Lama Tasi
12. Todd Lowrie
13. Mitch Garbutt

Josh Hoffman at Five-Eighth over Norman. I think putting Waddell at 9 is actually off as well, he wasn't bad for us when he got thrown in.

1. Ben Barba
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Jordan Drew
4. Aaron Whitchurch
5. Greg Eden
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Martin Kennedy
9. Sam Thaiday
10. Korbin Sims
11. Lama Tasi
12. Todd Lowrie
13. Mitch Garbutt
I was just about at the point in my life where I was able to forget that at one point we were being held to ransom over what position Josh Hoffman thought he deserved to be playing. FFS, thanks a lot.

Maybe, I just think he’s being unfairly lambasted simply because he wouldn’t toe the line with seibold.
Perhaps for some. Honestly I just think for us he was about 2/3's the player he was at the Titans.

His form at Souths this year also suggests it wasn't just a Seibold/Broncos anomaly either. In my opinion he just honestly isn't very good and he gets away with it here and there because he IS very fast.

Last edited:
Reed was the better clubman, but based purely on speed, I would give the nod to Jimmy. He was the closest the Broncos had come to finding the next Chris Walker. Not only incredibly quick, but could sense an opportunity and had that innate ability few players had. Also had his demons which prevented him from being the next Pearl which is what everyone wanted him to be.

I would still take Ben Hunt over Peter Wallace. I know he's a punch line to some fans, but on his day, very few halves this decade have his potency or ability to carry a team. Wallace never lost the Broncos a grand final, true, but he never took them to one either.

I love Bulla, but he was at the twilight of his career this decade and just couldn't churn out the minutes like he was able to. Moose should start, with Blair coming off the bench.

Maybe, I just think he’s being unfairly lambasted simply because he wouldn’t toe the line with seibold.

There's always been an air of disappointment surrounding Jimmy. Fans were willing to cut him some slack waiting for him to put it altogether but now that his stint is over he can only be judged on what he's delivered.

His form at South Sydney didn't help his case either.

Perhaps for some. Honestly I just think for us he was about 2/3's the player he was at the Titans.

In a lot of ways, I thought Roberts improved at the Broncos, particularly in 2017. I just think it's easier to look better in a bad side.

If you’re picking a team of peak roberts and peak Reed the ranga doesn’t even come close
Peak Roberts never played for us. Peak Roberts played at the Gold Coast.

EDIT: Has already been said.

Last edited:

1. Ben Barba
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Jordan Drew
4. Aaron Whitchurch
5. Greg Eden
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Martin Kennedy
9. Sam Thaiday
10. Korbin Sims
11. Lama Tasi
12. Todd Lowrie
13. Mitch Garbutt

I just couldn’t pull the trigger and put Mitch Garbutt in my worst Broncos team of the decade.

I couldn’t bad mouth a guy who went and clocked that fucking wanker Tamou right in the jaw and drop him like a sack of potatoes. GOAT status only for Garbs from me.

I actually didnt watch many souths matches so cant really comment on that.

He was certainly more motivated down there, but Reynolds is a terrible ball-player so he usually had to run inside lines to get any decent ball. He was largely invisible and would only come into view when the opposition would score tries down his channel.

Until he improves, his stint at Souths makes it easy to label him as a disappointment.

He was certainly more motivated down there, but Reynolds is a terrible ball-player so he usually had to run inside lines to get any decent ball. He was largely invisible and would only come into view when the opposition would score tries down his channel.

Until he improves, his stint at Souths makes it easy to label him as a disappointment.

I hope his Souths career continues on the same trajectory.

It was one of the only things that made losing him at the time make me feel better. If Bird stays injury free and Staggs continues on his trajectory then we have actually covered his loss remarkably well.

God we miss his pure speed though

Peak Roberts never really played for the Broncos.
Peak all round Roberts was 2017... took hitups, could actually defend and was dangerous in attack from anywhere

2015 (when he got center of the year) was literally him getting the ball and running around defenders
2016 was egotistical trash on the back of getting an award
2018 was injured
2019 was drunk, injured, ego trash

**** Ben Ikin, up there with Josh Hoffman, Ben Hannant and Jimmy Roberts as embarrassments to the jersey.

See, I think he was able to hide behind the fact that our Halves were such a rabble and that kind of hid the fact that Jimmy isn't actually that great at going looking for work.

The Souths Halves are hardly a benchmark, but they're a pretty big step up in quality and fluency from the Halves he played outside of at Brisbane, yet he still seems to struggle to have any sort of combinations working and for the most part he's looked just as disinterested as when he played for us, which again may not be a genuine lack of interest, just a lack of ability to read his Halves or get himself effectively involved.

I'm actually inclined now to say the Titans form was a bit of an anomaly and that he's since then returned to the level he will probably stay at now.
[automerge]1574373155[/automerge]
**** Ben Ikin, up there with Josh Hoffman, Ben Hannant and Jimmy Roberts as embarrassments to the jersey.
Won a Premiership in 2000. Could easily have won more if it wasn't for injury. Hardly a Broncos great, but not even close to being considered an embaressment during his time in the jersey.

Last edited:
I was told by someone involved in rugby league in the local comp that Ben Ikin sometimes posts here on BHQ. Not sure if true or not.

See, I think he was able to hide behind the fact that our Halves were such a rabble and that kind of hid the fact that Jimmy isn't actually that great at going looking for work.

The Souths Halves are hardly a benchmark, but they're a pretty big step up in quality and fluency from the Halves he played outside of at Brisbane, yet he still seems to struggle to have any sort of combinations working and for the most part he's looked just as disinterested as when he played for us, which again may not be a genuine lack of interest, just a lack of ability to read his Halves or get himself effectively involved.

I'm actually inclined now to say the Titans form was a bit of an anomaly and that he's since then returned to the level he will probably stay at now.

I agree, which is why some fans on here re-evaluated their opinions of him. Still, he was naturally more motivated to make a difference at Redfern but hardly saw any good ball. While Roberts' work ethic is well established, so is Reynolds' inability to create opportunities for his outside men.

I disagree with 2015 being an anamoly. The Jet scored more tries, took more runs, made more line-breaks, made more tackles and made more tackle breaks in 2017. Even passing the eye test, he was a more well rounded player. Again, I think the fact he won the Dally M Centre and he was the best player in a struggling side made him stand out more than when he was playing better footy.

I agree, which is why some fans on here re-evaluated their opinions of him. Still, he was naturally more motivated to make a difference at Redfern but hardly saw any good ball. While Roberts' work ethic is well established, so is Reynolds' inability to create opportunities for his outside men.

I disagree with 2015 being an anamoly. The Jet scored more tries, took more runs, made more line-breaks, made more tackles and made more tackle breaks in 2017. Even passing the eye test, he was a more well rounded player. Again, I think the fact he won the Dally M Centre and he was the best player in a struggling side made him stand out more than when he was playing better footy.
Agreed 2017 was his best year.

2015 he was a speed merchant that titans just threw the ball to

He should've played for Australia and NSW in 2017... unfortunately he picked up this Achilles injury in 2018 and has not been the same since.

I'm not sure how this injury gets fixed (surgery or rest), but I think he should sit out for as long as it takes to fix, because he is an absolute shell of his 2017 form right now

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Broncorob
  • azza.79
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • Lurker
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Thelmus
  • Justwin
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • eggstar10
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.