Something I noticed...

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
In the Melbourne game last night, I really noticed that Melbourne have turned up the volume on their grubbiness. By that I mean, holding down a lot in the ruck, hitting kickers late, wrestling locks, high shots, mushing peoples faces in tackles etc.

Is this just Melbourne? Or is this something that we're going to be dealing with from all teams come the finals now? The refs penalised Melbourne a few times, but ultimately if they just keep at it, the refs will stop penalising.

They did seem to be grubbier than usual last night didn't they.

They knew what they had to do to beat us, basically. Drag us down to their level then beat us around the head with their grub tactics

And it worked perfectly for them last night, we got suckered into their slow wrestle grind fest and it put us off our usual game.

Newcastle showed how to beat the storm and that's with up tempo fast game not trying to match them in a grind.

And it worked perfectly for them last night, we got suckered into their slow wrestle grind fest and it put us off our usual game.

Newcastle showed how to beat the storm and that's with up tempo fast game not trying to match them in a grind.

First time i've ever seen Milford give an elbow across the face to an opposing player.

I didn't watch the whole game but I did notice them blatantly step to the side and play the ball next to the marker. They did it twice in a row.
They also run a lot of obstructions imo.

Certainly some grubiness last night. Especially from the captain, but meh, who cares.

To say it put us off our game is a bit far fetched. We played pretty well considering our halves were affected prior to kickoff, then came injuries, so the halves were out the window.

I was sort of wondering if you guys think this will be tactics used by teams in the finals to put us off our game? And if so, do we have enough grubbiness in us to counter it?

I was sort of wondering if you guys think this will be tactics used by teams in the finals to put us off our game? And if so, do we have enough grubbiness in us to counter it?

I don't think we should match grubbiness with grubbiness. To do so would be doing exactly what they want. We see their grubby and we raise them with good old fashioned hard. Hard running, hard tackling, hard mentality.

I don't think we should match grubbiness with grubbiness. To do so would be doing exactly what they want. We see their grubby and we raise them with good old fashioned hard. Hard running, hard tackling, hard mentality.

Agreed. Although we got a few penalties, but not enough, out of the Melbourne game from them doing it, I know the second we try anything similar we'll get pinged every time. That's how the refs work with us. But aside from Hodges and Blair, we really don't have any players considered grubs in our side, which I take a bit of pride in tbh. Although Milf has shown he can give a bit of niggle when provoked, but that's more just standing up for himself I think.

The refs are letting the wrestle creep back in. It was evident in the Souths and Roosters games too. As soon as we tackle them, we're being called off (in some cases before they even hit the ground - "Andrew!!" / "Corey!!" Yet we try and play up-tempo and aren't allowed as the defenders are lying all over us.. It was particularly evident in the Souths(?) game about midway through the second half when all of a sudden they lifted the tempo after playing a grindfest all game and all of a sudden WE were the ones being penalised for not getting up quick enough, even though we'd been stifled the entire game so far. It's really pissing me off.

I am utterly convinced the refs will decide most games this finals series. And I don't have words to describe how strongly I feel about that. It's disgusting, and only getting worse.

I thought it was really obvious in the Bulldogs game.

The referees really did a good job of policing the ruck early in the game. Canterbury would try and slow down a quick play the ball on the last, Brisbane would get the penalty then invariably score.

However after the second try, it was almost as if the referees had hit their quota, and put their whistles away. Canterbury continued to slow the ruck and 'peel' off of tackles, yet nothing was being done about it.

I don't think there's any point in complaining about it. The referees just happen to set in a groove where they try to find a balance between blowing the pea out of the whistle and letting the play flow.

I also think there is an art to it. Namely, if you happen to win the ruck and have a few big boppers like the Dogs do, the referees tend to show more leniency, allowing the defence that extra second or two that can make all the difference.

Brisbane aren't winning enough rucks in defence so they're conceding faster play-the-balls and more metres.

I know this will sound awful and contrary to the Broncos way but WB really should make a few public comments about this very thing prior to the finals getting underway. These tactics need to be penalised and like the Roosters back in round 16 we need the conversation to be alive. The refs are surprisingly easy to manipulate as the Roosters showed back then. The refs may unconsciously take the hint and reward good footy and come down hard on the shit tactics of the Roosters, Dogs and Melbin Scum.

Yeah I must admit I'm a bit concerned. I feel that our finals hopes (and that of the Cows too tbh) relies on the ability to play up-tempo footy. If we get into more of a forwards slug/grindfest against the likes of the Rorters / Dogs / Cheats I don't think we can match it and we'll bow out before we deserve to. But if the refs let the game flow quickly, as we were told would happen this year, then we can beat anyone.

It shouldn't come down to the refs. It should come down to the players on the paddock. But my greatest fear is that it WILL come down to the refs.

And I despise that...

I hate watching any Storm games because half the game is spent watching their opposition being rolled onto their backs after they hit the ground.

Not to mention the good old-fashioned 'chicken wing' as well.

I see that move slowly creeping back in as well :tsk:

Active Now

• Alec
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.