NEWS Staggs Declares Loyalty: “I’m Going Nowhere”

5/8 is absolutely where he should be. He could totally bully other halfs and creat space out wide.
The hope might be that he can turn into a similar style five/eight as Munster.

Munster wasn't known for his kicking game before moving to 6 and even now isn't the primary kicker, but what he does well is kick down the short side and put little grubbers, etc. through inside the 20m.

Can't be worse than Hunts.
The hope might be that he can turn into a similar style five/eight as Munster.

Munster wasn't known for his kicking game before moving to 6 and even now isn't the primary kicker, but what he does well is kick down the short side and put little grubbers, etc. through inside the 20m.
So we're all resigned to still not having a fully formed five eighth.

Field goals are going to be big this year, now they're worth 2. I hope Kevvie has everyone practicing.

A crafty, speedy 9 who can control the ruck

A switched-on, calm, game-managing 7 who can steer and lead the team around

A robust, powerful, support playing 1 who can sniff around the ruck and pop up for offload opportunities

A big bodied, strong running 6 who can take on the line and create space out wide

Sounds like a damn good spine to me. Depends whether we think we have the above players... Can Turpin be that 9? Is Isaako a serviceable custodian? Will Dearden prove his worth at 7? I think Staggs ability to play that Jack Wighton style 5/8 role is probably the safest bet of the bunch. If they all play to their best, they can all likely fit the bill of what we need in my opinion.

You don't need both your 6 and 7 to be accomplished playmakers / kickers, and many players who haven't shown any playmaking ability thrive in the halves given a simple job (Wighton, Munster, Hughes come to mind). Staggs has played 6 before and looked quite good doing it.

With kicking options in Isaako, Turpin, Dearden (and potentially Staggs), there is plenty of versatility and not a huge amount of pressure on our pivot to be doing much 'playmaking'.

That's the spine I'd be going with when Staggs is back if Milford hasn't set the world alight. Think they could surprise a few people.

So we're all resigned to still not having a fully formed five eighth.

Field goals are going to be big this year, now they're worth 2. I hope Kevvie has everyone practicing.
In Dearden we trust 🙏🙏🙏

We Will Rise Jesus Christ GIF by INTO ACT!ON

Words means nothing unless you're willing to stay at your club for slightly under market value.

A crafty, speedy 9 who can control the ruck

A switched-on, calm, game-managing 7 who can steer and lead the team around

A robust, powerful, support playing 1 who can sniff around the ruck and pop up for offload opportunities

A big bodied, strong running 6 who can take on the line and create space out wide

Sounds like a damn good spine to me. Depends whether we think we have the above players... Can Turpin be that 9? Is Isaako a serviceable custodian? Will Dearden prove his worth at 7? I think Staggs ability to play that Jack Wighton style 5/8 role is probably the safest bet of the bunch. If they all play to their best, they can all likely fit the bill of what we need in my opinion.

You don't need both your 6 and 7 to be accomplished playmakers / kickers, and many players who haven't shown any playmaking ability thrive in the halves given a simple job (Wighton, Munster, Hughes come to mind). Staggs has played 6 before and looked quite good doing it.

With kicking options in Isaako, Turpin, Dearden (and potentially Staggs), there is plenty of versatility and not a huge amount of pressure on our pivot to be doing much 'playmaking'.

That's the spine I'd be going with when Staggs is back if Milford hasn't set the world alight. Think they could surprise a few people.
Staggs played halfback for Tonga when they beat Australia a couple of years ago, so hes got the capability to be a five eighth, whether they would take that punt is yet to be known. Not sure id want him defending 3 in coming of an ACL though...

Staggs played halfback for Tonga when they beat Australia a couple of years ago, so hes got the capability to be a five eighth, whether they would take that punt is yet to be known. Not sure id want him defending 3 in coming of an ACL though...
Easier than defending at centre I’d imagine.

Staggs is a bit of a ball hog in the centres, he'll have to change his ways quite a bit to play 5/8th.

I'm calling it now, Staggs won't be as good at 5/8 as he can be in the centers or back row. I don't think he has the game or the smarts for it personally. And if he wants to be a 5/8 he can't be asking for anything more than 400/450k a year either until he proves he can play the position well for a couple of years. If we even contemplate paying him elite money to play in the halves right now we need our heads looking at.

I'm calling it now, Staggs won't be as good at 5/8 as he can be in the centers or back row. I don't think he has the game or the smarts for it personally. And if he wants to be a 5/8 he can't be asking for anything more than 400/450k a year either until he proves he can play the position well for a couple of years. If we even contemplate paying him elite money to play in the halves right now we need our heads looking at.
In Kevvie I trust . The kid has skill and if we pick up a smart 9 and Dearden becomes the 7 most believe he can be , then i think he has all the attributes of a 6 we would need. Can you imagine the room he would create, very Munster esk imo

I'd be happy with 600k a year with incentives. Even at 600k a year, that is absolute elite money for a centre, so either way it is an appropriate price tag. Any more than that and I would be very worried.

I'd be happy with 600k a year with incentives. Even at 600k a year, that is absolute elite money for a centre, so either way it is an appropriate price tag. Any more than that and I would be very worried.
Assuming our cap situation is now in a much better state after letting go numerous overpaid players and no doubt saving some money on Milford after this year i would be ok with hitting up to 700k with Staggs. The next few seasons we need to start attracting some serious talent if we are to compete for the premiership, it will be players of the ilk of Munster, Grant etc. and its an easier conversation with them with a player like Staggs in the backline rather then losing him over 100k and trotting out Copley and Mead as selling points.

Someone who is willing to spruik the club to the media about not wanting to leave is also welcome and a nice change.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.