State of Origin 2013 - Game II Build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I commented on that in the post game thread the next day @Morkel.

You should've done the same for the blues 10 mtrs, who were the ones quite often offside.
Mal may be labelled a whinger, but he is absolutely spot on!

Yeah I was bitching about the same stuff during the Broncos vs Warriors & Broncos vs Bulldogs games. I can't be f'd doing screen grabs of the video though. Was very happy to use NSW's researched images against them though.

It's all part and parcel of the Origin "psychological warfare" mate. The difference being, we have a reason to whinge!

With NSW'kers on the other hand, it's genetic. They have this whining gene and will cry every time they lose... which has been quite noticeable in the last 7 years. :finger:

2 things to note Bman, firstly AFAIK it's not Mal whining it's the courier mail and secondly when NSW whinged the refs were promptly sacked. Message sent loud and clear to the next 2 refs.

**** Qld over or you're gone.

Imagine if NSW somehow got the clearence to drive down Caxton Street before the game then it broke down? Pretty sure that would be a nightmare for the coppers

I know, they wouldn't know who to charge with multiple deaths.

They could say, there were no suspicious circumstances.

Does anyone think Daley's relationship with Nathan Merritt was a factor in his inclusion as Loz has coached him before as the indigenous coach and he knows him well. It makes me feel more confident as it shows that Laurie knows his players well.

Last edited:
I'd like to think it was on form......

I think Merritt has been in good form this year and is in the top 5 of the try scoring list, tomorrow night will be the his true test of ability though.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to rate the "try scored" statistic very highly in terms of rating a player. I don't really get it. So many things change between playing for your club side and playing for your state that it just doesn't really apply IMO, especially as a lot of wingers tries tend to be just them falling over the line with no one in front of them.

Nathan Merritt is the modern equivalent of Matt Sing without the heart and with a much larger chip on his shoulder. He's getting a free ride because his club side is performing well, just like Chris McQueen.

Selectors had little choice and it made a nice story following all the Ferguson drama but I don't see him having a great Origin stint. Or at least I hope he doesn't.

Queensland to win on the back of their home ground advantage and terrible NSW preparation. Our selectors probably don't deserve the victory given the make up of the pack and bench but the talent of the senior players and nous of Mal should see them pick up the slack.

The tries scored column certainly helps but Merritt really is just a finisher and rarely creates something and struggles defensively but that imo has improved over the last few years but it will be tested tomorrow. I'm happy with his selection as it is a feel good story and he was the best winger available, Tingha (Nathan Blacklock) was more hard done by than Merritt btw.

I was confident going into game 1. I'm not so confident this game, so we should win. It usually works that way for me...

Makes sense.

Nathan Merritt is the modern equivalent of Matt Sing without the heart and with a much larger chip on his shoulder.

Except Matt Sing deserved his selection in all the rep sides he's ever made. He's one of the wingers you can say have saved far more tries than they ever scored, and he scored a buttload.

That was the point Alec.

Let's not get it twisted, for as courageous as Sing was, he was never as talented as a Tuqiri, Folau or even Sailor but he put in. Yow Yeh really reminded me of him.

Last edited:
Merritt will go to water just like in all big games.
Odds on that Inglis will make Merritt his b**ch!!!

I have a feeling that Merritt will come out and play a blinder as he was waited for an opportunity like this for years,this reminds me of Hazem El Masri's origin appearance. Tomorrow will be the true test of Merritt's ability but it would be a huge bonus for him if B-Morris plays well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember El Masri doing much on his debut. That was the game when Qld were down to one on the bench and it still took you 70 odd minutes to seal the game

I have a feeling that Merritt will come out and play a blinder as he was waited for an opportunity like this for years,this reminds me of Hazem El Masri's origin appearance. Tomorrow will be the true test of Merritt's ability but it would be a huge bonus for him if B-Morris plays well.

You're right about the last bit mate, Morris will literally have to hand the ball to Merritt in space for him to do anything. I'll give Merritt this, he has some good wheels but....that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • broncsgoat
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.