State of Origin Game II - NSW vs QLD

Did anyone catch any reason as to why that Maloney tackle at the end there was a penalty?

I could of sworn they referees said play the ball until the push and shove started, to which I'm still absolutely bloody seething about.

Puh-leese...I am pissed off, but you, Foordy and Morkel are the biggest Hunt apologists on here.

He and Chambers cost us the game. Fin.

Hunt apologist.. How am I being a Hunt apologist?

I'm with @Mr Fourex when it comes to McCullough. If he's not making 50+ tackles against nuffy opposition, he is completely and utterly useless. If Granville were in any sort of good form, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the Maroons 9.

Did anyone catch any reason as to why that Maloney tackle at the end there was a penalty?

I could of sworn they referees said play the ball until the push and shove started, to which I'm still absolutely bloody seething about.
Yeah I’m pretty sure you’re right there. What a shit fight.

Another Hunt mark. Sorry, he was awful.

I think he took the line on once or twice all fucking game. Piss weak little bitch that he is. Can't kick for shit, can't set up a play to save his life - one other option left, and he didn't have the balls to take it. QLD's number 7. When the game was there to win, he shuffled the ball like a true pussy.

What's a Hunt mark?

Hunt was critical in both of the tries that were scored on our right hand side.

One of those errors of his was when he was lifted a metre off the ground (identical to what we were penalised for doing to Maloney) and the ball was raked out by NSW.

Hunt wasn't even the worst half out there, Cleary was.

Hunts origin career is done I think, at least in the 7, he might get a crack in the 14 jumper if he’s lucky.
Chambers needs to take a good hard look at himself if he is still there next year. In game 1 he was so focused on getting to Mitchell and again tonight, that he doesn’t play his natural game and it has been very costly for us.
I’d have DCE in the 7 over Hunt at the moment, and that’s saying something.
In game 3 id really like to see Ponga in the 6, muster 7 with maybe Milf to get another crack in the 14? But it won’t happen..
Macca played well, Wallace had another shocker and could be in the same boat as Hunt with his origin career.

QLD lost that tonight. Hats off to NSW but honestly, i really feel that we cost ourselves that one.

How many more years does DCE have in him at origin level?? I’m not saying I’d pick him but if he’s coming into his twilight years it’s wasted selection for me. We need to be looking to the future and building combinations and relationships now for next years series

They absolutely did, I said as much during the match.

It was play on until Frizell reacted, in which case it should have been a penalty for us.

Maloney didn't go over the horizontal, it was just a good tackle. There were four or five similar tackles prior to that, that never got pulled up.

Rubbish refereeing, which is what I've come to expect unfortunately.

Poor selections, terrible tactics and bad run with injuries. Refs screwed us but we did plenty by ourselves.

Hunt. Can anyone now seriously suggest he is a halfback? He is a running 5/8 or hooker who still has the yips. Widdop holds his hand. Having said that still have him as hooker over next problem. Time to let Taylor have a crack in game 3. Nothing to lose.
Macca. Terrible option. Can’t recall worse attacking hooker for QLD.
Chambers. Has to go. Overrated but was a solid player but his 2 worst games. Time to give Gagai a go in centres. Worried about his defence and would prefer Munster but given halves shortage worth trying and brings Oates into side.
Wallace - not reactionary when a starting prop makes less then a handful or runs each game. Looks like a plodder he used to for Broncs. Suspect he is a slow developer but needs to go back to nrl and make a huge push.
Defence need a lot of work still.
Use of Ponga. Absolutely moronic bringing him on so early. Over reaction to late use of Milf. Let’s make our star attacking option make 30 tackles at lock... maybe last 25 or 30.
On plus side a lot of good heart and effort.

I'm with @Mr Fourex when it comes to McCullough. If he's not making 50+ tackles against nuffy opposition, he is completely and utterly useless. If Granville were in any sort of good form, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the Maroons 9.

We might as well just try and cover his tackling with another backrower......or throw Hunt in there. We have no direction in attack from the play the ball. McCullough is too dumb or too slow to see what is developing around him.

What's a Hunt mark?

Hunt was critical in both of the tries that were scored on our right hand side.

One of those errors of his was when he was lifted a metre off the ground (identical to what we were penalised for doing to Maloney) and the ball was raked out by NSW.

Hunt wasn't even the worst half out there, Cleary was.

Cleary didn't lose the game for his side with garbage, in fact, he made a crucial tackle to save it.

For every good thing Hunt does, he does two stupid things. That's his nature - some (most) see it, some don't.

Inglis was ordinary tonight
Might have to switch him up on Mitchell for his defence alone

In fairness, let’s deal with the negatives:

- NSW core players are young, look very comfortable at this level, and will likely be around for a long time to come

- Queensland have a huge dearth of quality Front Rowers, whilst NSW seem to be churning them out with ease. Our Front Row stocks have been immense during the last decade and a really underrated part of our success over that period. Without an ability to find some consistent performers in the engine room we’re destined for plenty more Origin pain potentially. Napa was much better tonight, but Wallace was again a passenger mostly, and the sad fact is we don’t have anyone really putting pressure on those two guys at all. It shouldn’t take a rocketing from the media to get Napa to put in like that, and frankly Wallace just appears unable to take the step up in quality.

- The best in play Kickers we have are Hunt, who now seems destined to be a ‘never in a big game’ kind of player, DCE who is no spring chicken, and Taylor who is currently going through his own bit of second year syndrome issues. Michael Morgan is injured, out of form and looks really fatigues, and Bodie Croft is currently languishing in ISP. If we can’t find our own version of Nathan Cleary to build our side around we could be in for a tough few years.
I love the idea of a Walters and Lam Halves combo in the future, but by the time those guys are ready we could have already lost several series and they’d have all the momentum.

- Inglis, despite his best series in a long time, is almost finished, and Chambers has become a total liability, and Queensland do not appear to have anyone looming in that position to replace these two guys. Sure, Gagai can shift, but he’s been immense on the Wing and we’ll be relying heavily on him continuing that form in the Centres, but outside of that our options are very thin indeed. Considering NSW left out the likes of Aitken etc they’re light years ahead of us in this key position at the moment. This and our Front Row stocks appear to be the two biggest obstacles facing Queensland from a depth position both currently and in the longer term.

Poor selections, terrible tactics and bad run with injuries. Refs screwed us but we did plenty by ourselves.

Hunt. Can anyone now seriously suggest he is a halfback? He is a running 5/8 or hooker who still has the yips. Widdop holds his hand. Having said that still have him as hooker over next problem. Time to let Taylor have a crack in game 3. Nothing to lose.
Macca. Terrible option. Can’t recall worse attacking hooker for QLD.
Chambers. Has to go. Overrated but was a solid player but his 2 worst games. Time to give Gagai a go in centres. Worried about his defence and would prefer Munster but given halves shortage worth trying and brings Oates into side.
Wallace - not reactionary when a starting prop makes less then a handful or runs each game. Looks like a plodder he used to for Broncs. Suspect he is a slow developer but needs to go back to nrl and make a huge push.
Defence need a lot of work still.
Use of Ponga. Absolutely moronic bringing him on so early. Over reaction to late use of Milf. Let’s make our star attacking option make 30 tackles at lock... maybe last 25 or 30.
On plus side a lot of good heart and effort.

Disagree on Ponga - he was brought on to crack it open, but the refs had other ideas. At least he had the guts to get in there and get the ball and try and do something.

We might as well just try and cover his tackling with another backrower......or throw Hunt in there. We have no direction in attack from the play the ball. McCullough is too dumb or too slow to see what is developing around him.

I'm even skiddish about putting Hunt in there. We all know how mentally fragile he is, and if the vast majority of QLD'rs can see how bad he was tonight, he sure as hell can. He is cooked for the Maroons now, no matter what position he plays, just like he was for us post 2015.

Inglis was ordinary tonight

Really?

I thought once again like game 1, he tried to be inspirational. I think if you're expecting Greg Inglis to palm off his opposition and run the length of the field to score you're going to be disappointed. That GI is gone. Today's GI is more mature, robust and bullocking. I don't think I've ever seen him try to get as involved in an origin game as he has done this series .....

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Allo
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Accept
  • Behold
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.