State of Origin Game III - Live Discussion

Am I the only person that thinks Cooper is done at this level?
He just looks sssllllllooooooooowwwwwwww to me.
In the first half there was a grubber put through right in front of him and he kinda just loped in and looked to tackle the NSW defender who picked up the ball.
We needed a powerful second rower bursting through the line after the ball at speed not a loper jogging through to defend.
Chances are he doesn't get to the ball but he could have put a lot more pressure on the defender if he was in his face and maybe forced an error or drop.
Love Coops and he has been a champion but I think he's just too slow for Origin now. He was mostly picked as JT's right hand man but without JT he isn't as effective.

He had two moments that stood out for me. One was obviously the set up for DCE's try, and the other when he stopped - I think it was Munster - from performing an illegal dangerous tackle. Yes he is slow, but I thought he was a bit of an old head that served the team well with such plays. I doubt he'll be there next year, but he was ok in my book.

On another note, Roberts was very well contained this series. I know he has an injury, but he didn't score a try if I recall correctly. The defense was all over him. He'll probably get another run next year, but NSW will have to figure out how to use him efficiently, just like the Broncos have had to do.

Bit delayed, but just wanna say "I told you so" to everyone who scoffed at me for wanting DCE in the team from the start of the season. He's clearly so much better equipped for the big stage in comparison to Hunt that it's not even funny.

Great game from him last night, that try he scored must've been so satisfying, equally so for myself, having $50 on him at 6's for any time try scorer.
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I was just reading the old Origin threads in an attempt to find the team I named and you had named about four different halves combos within about ten pages. DCE was in your first team list though

Bit delayed, but just wanna say "I told you so" to everyone who scoffed at me for wanting DCE in the team from the start of the season. He's clearly so much better equipped for the big stage in comparison to Hunt that it's not even funny.

Great game from him last night, that try he scored must've been so satisfying, equally so for myself, having $50 on him at 6's for any time try scorer.

Bit delayed, but I just wanna say, anyone who adds "but just wanna say "I told you so" to everyone who scoffed at me for wanting DCE in the team from the start of the season." to the start of a message, is being a bit of a toss, don't you reckon?

Last edited:
turning my attention to next years series ... this is how i would go (assuming all players healthy and in decent form):

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Munster
4. Inglis (c)
5. Gagai
6. Milford
7. Cherry-Evans (last night earned him another shot)
8. Arrow
9. McCullough
10. Papalli
11. Su'a
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Oates (utility as can play forwards and backs)
15. Ofahengue
16. Hess
17. Napa

18. Rhyse Martin

No Morgan? Was that deliberate or an oversight?

Oates got monstered last night every time he pretended to be a second rower, why would be be a good utility?

Full credit to DCE last night, he was most definitely the difference.

However I don't think anyone ever questioned his ability. The reason he wasn't selected was never due to ability, it was down to his team mentality. He's not a team player. He can be, when he has a personal point to prove (like he did last night), but that's not how he normally plays long-term.

Once DCE gets comfortable in a team, he wants to call the shots. That in itself isn't bad, it's a great trait for a halfback to have, but he inevitably puts himself first, the team second. He would rather lose a game as a general, than win a game as a soldier. Last night's performance doesn't change that, he was playing at his best in order to prove himself.

Walters' decision to not play him was playing the long game, therefore I don't think it was the wrong decision. Was it the wrong decision therefore playing DCE last night? Time will tell. It was great to not lose the series 3-0, but is the team going to suffer long term because of DCE's attitude? Without Smith, Slater, Cronk, Thurston, and most of the seasoned players of the last 10 years, DCE is well and truly going to be one of the senior players from now on and after that game last night, he's going to expect to be able to run the team how he wants it. Once again, that's okay for a halfback, but not for one who has shown to always put himself before the team.

He had two moments that stood out for me. One was obviously the set up for DCE's try, and the other when he stopped - I think it was Munster - from performing an illegal dangerous tackle. Yes he is slow, but I thought he was a bit of an old head that served the team well with such plays. I doubt he'll be there next year, but he was ok in my book.

On another note, Roberts was very well contained this series. I know he has an injury, but he didn't score a try if I recall correctly. The defense was all over him. He'll probably get another run next year, but NSW will have to figure out how to use him efficiently, just like the Broncos have had to do.

He did a lot of talking at key moments as well which you would expect of one of the senior players. I thought he played his role well last night, but I agree that I think he is just about done at this level.

That Walters did not pick DCE at 7 for games 1 and 2 is a blackmark against his name as a coach. Selecting Hunt because he is mates with him was pretty bad.

I'm sure the way the dragons are going compared to manly also swayed things into hunts favour. Widdop must make him look really good too.

Bit delayed, but I just wanna say, anyone who adds "but just wanna say "I told you so" to everyone who scoffed at me for wanting DCE in the team from the start of the season." to the start of a message, is being a bit of a toss, don't you reckon?

DCE hater spotted.

Embrace it, embrace our lord and saviour.

zXCpg2w.jpg

Full credit to DCE last night, he was most definitely the difference.

However I don't think anyone ever questioned his ability. The reason he wasn't selected was never due to ability, it was down to his team mentality. He's not a team player. He can be, when he has a personal point to prove (like he did last night), but that's not how he normally plays long-term.

Once DCE gets comfortable in a team, he wants to call the shots. That in itself isn't bad, it's a great trait for a halfback to have, but he inevitably puts himself first, the team second. He would rather lose a game as a general, than win a game as a soldier. Last night's performance doesn't change that, he was playing at his best in order to prove himself.

Walters' decision to not play him was playing the long game, therefore I don't think it was the wrong decision. Was it the wrong decision therefore playing DCE last night? Time will tell. It was great to not lose the series 3-0, but is the team going to suffer long term because of DCE's attitude? Without Smith, Slater, Cronk, Thurston, and most of the seasoned players of the last 10 years, DCE is well and truly going to be one of the senior players from now on and after that game last night, he's going to expect to be able to run the team how he wants it. Once again, that's okay for a halfback, but not for one who has shown to always put himself before the team.
lol playing the long game is giving Walters way too much credit. He simply picked Hunt because he prefers him, no way it was a long game move to "humble" DCE or whatever.

To be fair, DCE won a dead rubber.

It's very rare for a team to clean sweep the series so we could have probably won with anyone else at halfback. We'll see how he goes in the first two games next series.

I think we would have won Game II with him in the side, but he hasn't proven himself yet.

DCE hater spotted.

Embrace it, embrace our lord and saviour.

zXCpg2w.jpg

You didn't answer the question. I've already been called out, so you're late on that too.

Your post would have been perfect if you didn't feel the need to put yourself on a podium and scream "look what I said and it hapoened" along with 50% of our username who said the same .

Edit: Just to clarify. My last line means, plenty of other people thought the same way as you. You're not special.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I was just reading the old Origin threads in an attempt to find the team I named and you had named about four different halves combos within about ten pages. DCE was in your first team list though

I said I wanted DCE in the team in the first post, the ones after that were either adjusted through injury, or adjusted to what the media was reporting that Kev was going to pick. It came out pretty early that Munster & Hunt were getting first crack, so they were more so "projected" line-ups rather than me flip flopping between who I wanted. I at no stage wanted Hunt in the 7 jersey, I'm sure you know that by now :P

I was wrong regarding Morgan though, I thought he was better than Munster last year, don't think anyone could've predicted he'd just completely 180 back to being a sideways running mong.

The side next year should be as follows.

1. Greg Inglis
2. Corey Oates
3. Cameron Munster
4. Dane Gagai
5. Valentine Holmes
6. Michael Morgan
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Dylan Napa
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Josh Papalii
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jai Arrow

14. Kalyn Ponga
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Felise Kaufusi/Coen Hess

Ponga needs to be slowly introduced into the Origin arena. Keep him on the bench next series and then in 2020 he takes over.

The side next year should be as follows.

1. Greg Inglis
2. Corey Oates
3. Cameron Munster
4. Dane Gagai
5. Valentine Holmes
6. Michael Morgan
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Dylan Napa
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Josh Papalii
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jai Arrow

14. Kalyn Ponga
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Felise Kaufusi/Coen Hess

Ponga needs to be slowly introduced into the Origin arena. Keep him on the bench next series and then in 2020 he takes over.

I dunno, I'd be getting him in ASAP. Let him learn, and build the team around him in the future.

You didn't answer the question. I've already been called out, so you're late on that too.

Your post would have been perfect if you didn't feel the need to put yourself on a podium and scream "look what I said and it hapoened" along with 50% of our username who said the same .

Edit: Just to clarify. My last line means, plenty of other people thought the same way as you. You're not special.

Rough day at work?

It's already well established that I'm a toss who regularly gloats about foresights, although considering I cop my fair share for the occasional shit call, I'd say I'm within my rights to throw out an occasional, quite friendly, "Well, would you look at that".

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • lynx000
  • Lazza
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.