State of Origin Game III - Live Discussion

I dunno, I'd be getting him in ASAP. Let him learn, and build the team around him in the future.

Agree. I think Kev has to just get Ponga straight in to the 1 jersey next year, regardless of what's happening at club land.

The side next year should be as follows.

1. Greg Inglis
2. Corey Oates
3. Cameron Munster
4. Dane Gagai
5. Valentine Holmes
6. Michael Morgan
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Dylan Napa
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Josh Papalii
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jai Arrow

14. Kalyn Ponga
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Felise Kaufusi/Coen Hess

Ponga needs to be slowly introduced into the Origin arena. Keep him on the bench next series and then in 2020 he takes over.

Zero chance for Inglis at fullback. Ponga doesn't need to be slowly introduced. He was thrown into the lions den and was damn near best on ground. He's fullback next year.

Also, it's not in the discussion for a lot of people at the moment, but I think Milf will be the six next year for QLD.

To be fair, DCE won a dead rubber.

It's very rare for a team to clean sweep the series so we could have probably won with anyone else at halfback. We'll see how he goes in the first two games next series.

I think we would have won Game II with him in the side, but he hasn't proven himself yet.

Serious? Who - Hunt?

lol playing the long game is giving Walters way too much credit. He simply picked Hunt because he prefers him, no way it was a long game move to "humble" DCE or whatever.

I didn't imply that he was making DCE work for it. I was implying that giving the reigns to someone who will bleed for the team and grow in to the role long term was better than throwing a jersey to a mercenary who plays only for himself.

I didn't imply that he was making DCE work for it. I was implying that giving the reigns to someone who will bleed for the team and grow in to the role long term was better than throwing a jersey to a mercenary who plays only for himself.
Except clearly it wasn't, it played out as obviously as anyone who has watched Hunt for a long time knew it would. He would crumble under pressure, poorly execute options and cost us in the big moments.

It was a bad call, simple as that. There's plenty of people who would "bleed" for the jersey, doesn't mean they're suitable to take the most important role in the team in must win games.

Even if DCE played the series and we lost, and he brought all the bad things people said he would, it still would have been the right choice, because DCE there's a good chance he does play well, and we win. With Hunt, there's next to no chance he would have excelled and become the next 7.

There's a reason Bennett was willing to get into a bidding war to keep Milford at all costs but wouldn't do the same for Hunt.

Even if DCE played the series and we lost, and he brought all the bad things people said he would, it still would have been the right choice, because DCE there's a good chance he does play well, and we win. With Hunt, there's next to no chance he would have excelled and become the next 7.

There's a reason Bennett was willing to get into a bidding war to keep Milford at all costs but wouldn't do the same for Hunt.

DCE doesn't bring bad things on to the field. His ability on it is not questioned. It's what he does off the field that is potentially so dangerous to the team. We've seen what someone with an almost untouchable esteem can do, in Smith tanking last year in order to get his mates back in the jersey. You don't think DCE will do the same if given any rope?

If we lose the series next year, who goes, DCE or Walters (assuming Walters is even coaching next year)?

DCE doesn't bring bad things on to the field. His ability on it is not questioned. It's what he does off the field that is potentially so dangerous to the team. We've seen what someone with an almost untouchable esteem can do, in Smith tanking last year in order to get his mates back in the jersey. You don't think DCE will do the same if given any rope?

If we lose the series next year, who goes, DCE or Walters (assuming Walters is even coaching next year)?
Where I, and people who don't like DCE disagree, is that I don't think he's supposedly as toxic as he's made out to me, I don't buy it.

Watmough calling him out only makes me more sure it's a beat up. I seriously believe because DCE is so well spoken, and isn't a push over, that rubs over the dinosaurs in the game the wrong way.

Has he seriously done anything "bad" in his career, ever? I've heard lotza rumours, lots back paper gossip, but I've never once seen him do anything questionable. He doesn't play like a grub, he's led his teams to a premiership, he backed out on the Titans, but so what? I don't see that as some sort unquestionably unethical thing, it's a business, he got a better deal and he took it. That's completely pointless to me, as long as he performs at his best, and everytime I watch Manly play (which to be fair isn't often) he's clearly trying hard, he plays a clean, good game and doesn't go off at his teammates and the refs every time something goes wrong.

The only things he seems to be questioned about, is that he's went about getting the absolute best deal for himself, and that's not a grubby quality, the clubs will **** off players instantly if they're no longer any value.

Last edited:
Rough day at work?

It's already well established that I'm a toss who regularly gloats about foresights, although considering I cop my fair share for the occasional shit call, I'd say I'm within my rights to throw out an occasional, quite friendly, "Well, would you look at that".

No one said you couldn't. You wanna own it, be prepared to be called out on it.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The GC at the time knew he wasn't actually signed until the cooling period finished. Didn't they offload Hayne last year because he wasn't any value? Don't the Roosters sack players the second someone better comes along? Didn't we tell Wallace not to sign elsewhere because we'd re-sign him, then didn't and screwed him over financially?

It's very, very low on the radar for me of scummy things to do. He did everything within the rights that the stupid rules at the time allowed him to do to maximise his financial earnings. He entered the NRL scene fairly late (21 I think?) and his career, at any point, could be cut short as we've seen with Yowie, McKinnon, and a number of other players.

Him not taking an 8 year deal would have been stupid. GC offered him 4 years, Manly countered with 8 years, with better money. Any reasonable person would take that.

Last edited:
No one said you couldn't. You wanna own it, be prepared to be called out on it.

Prepared to be called out on being correct, or prepared to be called out on reminding everyone that I was correct? :campeon::ARMS1::asz:

Edit: I love these oldschool emotes.

Last edited:

DCE doesn't have friends it seems, so we should be fine.

Zero chance for Inglis at fullback. Ponga doesn't need to be slowly introduced. He was thrown into the lions den and was damn near best on ground. He's fullback next year.

Also, it's not in the discussion for a lot of people at the moment, but I think Milf will be the six next year for QLD.

And gifted NSW the chances they needed to clinch the series. He shouldn't be getting such an important position yet. Not until he has more experience in the Origin arena. A series under the wing of Inglis would be valuable for him.

The chances of Milford being 5/8 next year are slim. We all know Munster is going to keep his spot, but one can hope he doesn't. But QLD can get fucked and pick someone else. Milford stays at the Broncos.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The GC at the time knew he wasn't actually signed until the cooling period finished. Didn't they offload Hayne last year because he wasn't any value? Don't the Roosters sack players the second someone better comes along? Didn't we tell Wallace not to sign elsewhere because we'd re-sign him, then didn't and screwed him over financially?

It's very, very low on the radar for me of scummy things to do. He did everything within the rights that the stupid rules at the time allowed him to do to maximise his financial earnings. He entered the NRL scene fairly late (21 I think?) and his career, at any point, could be cut short as we've seen with Yowie, McKinnon, and a number of other players.

Him not taking an 8 year deal would have been stupid. GC offered him 4 years, Manly countered with 8 years, with better money. Any reasonable person would take that.

To me people's words are their bond. He lied over and over about being commited to his Tits deal.

To me people's words are their bond. He lied over and over about being commited to his Tits deal.
I can understand that view, but then again it's rugby league. Everyone lies to everyone to suit themselves, Inglis did the same thing, and he's captaining QLD.

I'm not justifying what he did, it was a shit thing to do, but it was like 6 years ago? And on a scale of scummery it's pretty low.

To be fair, DCE won a dead rubber.

It's very rare for a team to clean sweep the series so we could have probably won with anyone else at halfback. We'll see how he goes in the first two games next series.

I think we would have won Game II with him in the side, but he hasn't proven himself yet.

This point is interesting. As good as last night's result was, the fact is QLD played their best football when the series was over.

The Blues played best when the series was on the line.

The Maroons need to be careful when deciding who to take into 2019. We don't what guys who only deliver when the pressure is off.

NSW got into that trap. It's how numpties like Ennis got a start and they kept persisting with.

Personally, I'd go with Ponga and DCE for Game One next year. As good as Macca was - I wouldn't say he's an automatic selection. Same with Munster.

Morgan can revert back to the utility role and Ben Hunt can **** right off.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.