State of Origin Game III - NSW vs QLD

Looking at the Morgan incident again, it definitely should have been a penalty. Possibly penalty try.

Frizell moves across to block Morgan from getting to the ball, but no penalty.

However, later on in the game in the lead up to McGuire's try, Frizell does the same thing but to Norman. This time it's a penalty.

The refs were atrocious last night.

I actually think our best bet is to follow the Melbourne Storm template for QLD. Pick serviceable players who just do the job in positions where we have no real stars, and develop a game plan to use our best players better.

In a new era, this is would be what i'd go with.

1 Ponga
2 Oates
3 Opacic/Seve/Hunt
4 Opacic/Seve/Hunt
5 Gagai
6 Munster
7 DCE
8 Moose
9 Turpin
10 Papalii
11 Lowe
12 Kafusi
13 Arrow

14 Welch
15 Joffa
16 Molo
17 Fifita

We are really low on centers, so just pick whoever is performing best at the time. They dont need to do anything but just do their jobs and be solid. What we have to do is let Munster play both sides and get Ponga backing him up. Turpin just has that aggression about him which i think would suit Origin football. No utility on the bench is a risk probably, but its one i'd take.

I saw somewhere that rated offa 6.. he was at least a 7 or 8

Was he? I thought he was immense Game 1, but a bit of a let down in Game 3 overall, didn't even crack the 100m mark. In fact none of our forwards did, once again.

Joffa 90m, Papa 96m, Moose 83m, Kaufusi 83m, Lowe 90m, Welch 63m.

Was he? I thought he was immense Game 1, but a bit of a let down in Game 3 overall, didn't even crack the 100m mark. In fact none of our forwards did, once again.

Joffa 90m, Papa 96m, Moose 83m, Kaufusi 83m, Lowe 90m, Welch 63m.

Don’t forget that Kevvie kept papa and joffa off for quite a long period of time. I thought both joffa and papa made the tough carries when they were on and held their own in the middle.

Still can’t believe Klein got in the way then. Let em sort it out

This is the unfortunate nature of being a Queensland Origin fan. Apart from the previous decade where we had an absolute once in a century run of talent all at the same time, Queensland will go back to needing basically everything to go right for them in order to win an Origin series.

The facts are that NSW have an overwhelming advantage in player numbers, which means in general they have an advantage in overall talent. Queensland at absolute full strength can usually field a team that's competitive, but once you throw in a couple of injuries or you get a few shitty calls in a match, the gap becomes just too difficult to overcome.

Nothing summed this up for me better than the judiciary last week. Even when NSW make mistakes and pick the wrong players (Sims) the judiciary still manages to work out in their favour and they get a replacement in Klemmer who is even better than the first bloke.

Compare that to Queensland losing Arrow and being down to literally choosing which club football bench Prop is actually left standing to replace him. The gap between our best 17 and the guys below them is just light years in a lot of key positions.

100% and has always been that way whenever QLD didn't have the players.
I started watching origin form 98 (97 I watched the SL one) - and before the 10 year run;
98 - won
99 - drew
2000 - got smashed
2001 - langer
2002 - drew
2003 - got smashed
2004 - got smashed
2005 - got smashed

2000-2005 when they had the players, we were thoroughly outplayed. When they have a huge pool of talented players and they are in form. They are always tough to beat in a mid-season 3 game series.
(A game here and there ala last year game 3 and this year game 1)
But to win the series seems hard unless we have the 2 games at home scenario (and when we DO and we lose game 1 like last year, it's all over)

2006-2017 was unbelievable; I'm confident I won't see anything like it in my lifetime again. To have the players we had at the same time and remarkably not injured during origin throughout the ten years... amazing. I'm glad to have witnessed it - when I'm old and gray I'm going to watch them all over again.

Biggest mistake i think QLD made was not managing better the transition of the side. We should never, ever have let Cronk, Thurston and Smith finish up all at the same time. Should maybe have done it over a 3 year period. Thurston 2017, Cronk 2018 and Smith 2019. Surely if the plan was put to them they would have agreed it was the right thing to do for QLD. IT would be extremely selfish of them not to agree to that. I can remember Civo and Price staying on to mentor the younger guys coming through, these blokes should have done the same. Losing JT, Cronk, Smith, Inglis and Slater would leave a huge hole in any team.

I'd actually go so far as to say if the succession plan i proposed was put in place, we would have won the last 2 series.

Biggest mistake i think QLD made was not managing better the transition of the side. We should never, ever have let Cronk, Thurston and Smith finish up all at the same time. Should maybe have done it over a 3 year period. Thurston 2017, Cronk 2018 and Smith 2019. Surely if the plan was put to them they would have agreed it was the right thing to do for QLD. IT would be extremely selfish of them not to agree to that. I can remember Civo and Price staying on to mentor the younger guys coming through, these blokes should have done the same. Losing JT, Cronk, Smith, Inglis and Slater would leave a huge hole in any team.

I'd actually go so far as to say if the succession plan i proposed was put in place, we would have won the last 2 series.

The problem is that they are all the same age, so it was probably inevitable that they'd all retire at the same time, unless someone retired before they should have and someone else retired when they were already past it. I only feel like Smith could have definitely continued to play though, but I guess he's had enough mentally.

Speaking of mistakes, someone elsewhere pointed out how QLD go about tackling Tedesco all wrong. Most of the time, they try to go high on him, and it just allows him to use his deceptive upper body strength and acceleration to easily break free. The few times defenders tried to go for his legs, it ended up being more effective.

Smith did a bit of a dirty on qld though. Leading up to last years series I’m sure qld thought he’d be around to mentor the young guys but he pulled the pin 3 weeks out if I remember correctly.

I'm just going to say how proud I am of the Maroons. We were written off before a ball was kicked, we were told that there was no way we'd be able to compete with the talent NSW have, and NSW were talking up a "dynasty" after winning one single series.

We may not have won the series, but we won game one, and came so amazingly close in game three. Being 12 points down and looking like we were about to be shredded, the effort to get it back to an even score was phenomenal. At the time I was thinking, even if we lose this, just to get back to this point, with so many things against us, is worthy of admiration.

We have a third or a quarter of players to choose from, the best 6 or 7 players from the last decade have retired, and we were riddled with injuries. But we still pushed those arrogant ***** literally to the last minute. Good job.

Don’t worry matey, we’ve seen plenty of quality from the Greenhouse during the lowly years.

But we are a fan base that come to expect shit, thus we almost revel in being shit and blaming the nrl for the salary cap sombrero.

A Canberra Fan knows being shit well. Does a modern QLD fan know this?

But we are a fan base that come to expect shit, thus we almost revel in being shit and blaming the nrl for the salary cap sombrero.

A Canberra Fan knows being shit well. Does a modern QLD fan know this?
I’ve witnessed a grand final loss, I’ve seen it all haha.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.