# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Queensland 6 (Gagai try, Thurston PG)
New South Wales (Cordner try)

Now they have to win at Suncorp to avoid another series defeat.

Happy that QLD won obviously but in a game that was not worthy of Origin. A real slog.

Can someone get onto the field and find that chunk of flesh that is missing from Oates head? He might need that.

It was a throw back to old school Origin. Just hard give it to them stuff with very little ball movement and attacking prowess. I will give the Maroons credit, their defense on their own line was excellent and the calmness of Cronk and Thurston got them over the line in the end. The effort from NSW was great and I actually thought there was some positive signs but we will need a massive performance at Lang Park in 3 weeks.

Solid debut from Oates, especially with that nasty gash on his head for the majority of the game.

Happy that QLD won obviously but in a game that was not worthy of Origin. A real slog.

Can someone get onto the field and find that chunk of flesh that is missing from Oates head? He might need that.

IMO the best Origin games are almost always slogs because both sides are so evenly matched.

Gotta love Thaiday.

What an answer.

thaiday may be a shit player now days but he is such a hard guy to hate. top bloke. wish he would replace beau ryan on footy show or better yet join matty john show.

any way back to origin. i thought both teams were pretty even. some ordinary calls going both ways. nsw seemed to beat them selves more then we beat them but a win is a win.

people saying this is now worthy of a origin game? seriously? we have this same argument every year in origin game 1. it is always low scoring game. with little attacking plays

Loved the win although I thought NSW were going to roll over us in the last 20. Credit to our boys for sticking tough even though we were a bit off tonight I thought. Thurston pretty quiet tonight although a few clutch kicks in the back end. Which also kept Inglis out of the game.

Big issue for NSW is that all Reynolds offered was a kicking game (possibly expected). And Maloney wasn't creative enough to compensate. And why Walker? Was on the field for like 8 min.

Thaiday played a lot of minutes. I was worried but his defense seemed to hold up although he lacked impact with the ball. And Miles played smaller minutes than I thought he should. Papali and Maguire lacked impact of the bench. Swap Thaiday and Maguire for game 2.

Johns is about to explode

Boyd was magnificent. Parker and Gillett the pick of our forwards for mine.

Also want to give a special mention to Gagai - had my doubts about him on the wing, but he handled the role with aplomb. Really impressed with the amount of times he came in to take the ball up, and he was making metres too!

Boyd is my pick for MOTM. It was essentially a textbook fullback performance.

Queensland player ratings

Darius Boyd 8 - Easily the best QLD player. Brought his Broncos form to Origin. Safe as a house, played a part in the try and made more meters than any other Queenslander. MOM for mine

Corey Oates 5.5 - Didn't get much chance to do anything as the game was played in the middle. Made some good runs but had some trouble under the high ball. Pass mark on debut.

Greg Inglis 6 - Always had NSW worried but didn't really cause much trouble apart from that break in the second half.

Justin O'Neill 6 - I personally didn't notice him that much but didn't do anything wrong. Pass mark on debut

Dane Gagai 7 - Another good start to his Origin career. Made plenty of meters and scored the only Queensland try

Jonathen Thurston 6 -Showed his expert nerve and kicking skills in the crunch moments in the second half but I can't remember him playing a more uneffective Origin game then that.

Cooper Cronk 6 -
Same with Thurston

Matt Scott 6 - Didn't make that many meters but made some good charges in the second half

Cameron Smith 6 - Topped the tackle count for the Maroons and the game with 49. Can play a lot better but it was still a good show from him. Congrats Cameron to on 37 Origin games.

Nate Myles 5 -
I thought he was average and was well contained by the Blues. Didn't bring his club form to Origin this time

Matt Gillett 6.5 -
Defended very well on the fringes but didn't make much impact with the ball

Sam Thiaday 6 - Same as Gillett

Corey Parker 7 -I thought Parker played his best game all season. I think he can play a lot better at the Broncos currently but I thought he was the best Maroons forward tonight. Making 146 meters and popping an offload. Great performance by the great man.

Michael Morgan 4 - Has never shown anything at rep level if you ask me. Came of the bench didn't make mistakes but was forced of with injury.

Josh McGuire 7 -
Everything you want in a reserve. Topped 100 meters and made 30 tackles

Aiden Guerra 5 -
Did ok. Better than his Roosters form although that isn't saying much

Josh Papalli 6 - ​Made a good impression through the middle.

Last edited:
Sounds like Gillett is man of the match.
How is man of the match in origin just an afterthought? Should be a big deal like the Clive Churchill. All we get is a 'btw, it was Gillett' from the Channel 9 muppets.

lol fatty and wally cant stop laughing and the sour grapes from gus and joey. i thikn they have finally reached breaking point they are seriously angry

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • john1420
  • Allo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Old Mate
  • Financeguy
  • Kev_Guz
  • heartly87
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.