State of Origin II - NSW v Queensland - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the refs had a clue and didn't think thaidays try was an obstruction firstly, do you think they would have even checked the try?

Yep because the referee asked to check grounding.

What argument? You went from saying Taylor had a phenomenal performance to a "very solid performance". If anything you agree that phenomenal was an exaggeration, which it was...

We must be looking at different stat. sheets. NRL Stats has the following...

Dave Taylor 54m
Chris McQueen 62m
Ben Te'o 75m

The Maroons made 10 mistakes, true, none of them was as stupid as the one Taylor forced on McQueen. Taylor was informed all week about his one job, his one responsibility to the team and when the going got tough, he took the soft option like he has time and time and time again in the Maroons jersey.

If this was a one off, I would have given him a free pass but this is a common occurrence and has been the story of his Origin career.

FWIW Gillett missed six tackles according to NRL stats, the same number as Guerra who appears to be getting a free ride from A LOT of fans. I thought he played worse than McQueen in Game I...at least McQueen made a half-break.

Its not about the number of missed tackles by gillett but how he misses them. Running out of the line to be a hero, leaving the line broken is far far worse than missing a tackle in the line. He did it in numerous occasions

Big Pete said:
We must be looking at different stat. sheets. NRL Stats has the following...

Dave Taylor 54m
Chris McQueen 62m
Ben Te'o 75m

The Maroons made 10 mistakes, true, none of them was as stupid as the one Taylor forced on McQueen. Taylor was informed all week about his one job, his one responsibility to the team and when the going got tough, he took the soft option like he has time and time and time again in the Maroons jersey.

If this was a one off, I would have given him a free pass but this is a common occurrence and has been the story of his Origin career.

FWIW Gillett missed six tackles according to NRL stats, the same number as Guerra who appears to be getting a free ride from A LOT of fans. I thought he played worse than McQueen in Game I...at least McQueen made a half-break.

Getting my stats from NRL.com, you'd think they would be reliable?..

They say -

Dave Taylor 67m
Ben Te'o 54m
Chris McQueen 36m

Gillett 9 missed tackles
Guerra 6 missed tackles

They always have had the wood on us in the depth department.

I probably should have been more clear. I was talking about the quality of the depth.

We had the wood on them for a bit, but now they have the wood on us.

Not in every position, but most of them.

I can't believe people are saying that should be gilletts last origin, but arguing Taylor was fine... And are then accusing others of agendas lol

?..

Are you talking about me? Never said a bad word about Gillett, just said his tackling technique needs some work.

Taylor's only mistake was passing to the wing when he thought a chance was on. McQueen, filling in for Tate wasn't there. It's as much mcqueens fault as Taylor's. Gillett made 2 huge mistakes, as well as rushing out of the line letting Hoffman get through, numerous times. It's unacceptable. He is a liability. He deserves to spend some time out of the qld team like Taylor did

I would like to thank the mastermind who made the one punch and you're off rule. If that didn't exist, I'd like to know how different the first half would have been. One punch up, send a couple guys off for 10, and I'd like to think they would've just gotten on with it instead of having the first half we did have
Might not have changed anything though

Last edited:
I am trying to get an answer out of ANYONE that has anything to do with the nrl on twitter etc, but i am seriously lost as to why the Woods kick off thing was not over turned... when can the vid ref interevene. It seems like they have no idea. In the tigers game last week or the week before, he overruled a drop out decision, but then the next set couldnt do the same thing again. wtf

Or did NSW get the game going too quickly to have it overturned?

NSW were too good this year. I didn't agree with every decision but if I started to whine after a loss in the series I'd be as bad as some NSW supporters I know so I will just say 8 years in a row was a good run and it will probably never be topped. I would like to see some changes in game 3 just to blood some new players and to look towards the future(come on give Mcguire a shot Mal!).

I blame the refs for having no control in the first half. They let soo much go yet penalise a love tap just added to the frustration of both teams

I would not make too many changes for game 3 this year. McGuire in for Scott if injured or Taylor, and Parker in for Teo who is off to union next season. McQueen gets a stay of execution as he can cover some backline positions. I would also drop Gillet to the bench and have Thaiday on the right edge
DCE needs to be fit and ready for training as there was no cohesion on his side of the field which i put down to him not training with the team

Last edited:
Well that was a stitch up, pure and simple. We always knew the referees have been trying their hardest lately to stop QLD winning, but we've always been good enough to get over it. Not last night, not with that heavily biased.....no, that was beyond just biased, that was just straight up cheating.

Firstly, the penalty count. 9-4 against us in a match where NSW literally did anything and everything they could to slow the play-the-ball down, took out our kicker a second or 2 late every single kick, and dropped more elbows on heads than a WWE wrestling match.

Secondly, that no try to Thaiday. Hayne clearly knocked that ball out intentionally, which is a great play from him since it's fair play - but that makes it a loose ball and play on, and then thaiday grounds it cleanly over the try line..........why is that not a try again? You don't have to "regather control" of the ball before it hits the ground when the ball is stripped, only if you drop it. That literally cost us the game and the series.

Thirdly, Woods' "chest of god". We all saw it. The video replay showed it without a shadow of a doubt. Instead of overturning the decision, which is fully within their powers and happens nearly every other week in the NRL, they carry on and march NSW down field 70m, the ball never to come back in NSW's half of the field. What should've been us attacking their line for the first time in the last 30 minutes turned to us defending our line for the last 7 minutes.

It was just pathetic to see how much and how blatantly the refs were favouring NSW. Cheap shots let go, late shots let go, forward passes missed, penalties given for no particular reason, blatant tries disallowed......pathetic. The N(SW)RL should be ashamed. At this stage I don't even want to watch the third game, as a whitewash would be their ultimate goal and after last night I have no doubt they'll get it.

On to other things, I can't believe people on here are lambasting Taylor and saying Gillett was great! Yes Taylor made one mistake, a mistake that was as much McQueens fault as his, but he was fantastic for the rest of his minutes. He hit the ball up with force and tackled well. People saying that was the turning point are forgetting that we had been defending for 20 minutes partly because of Gilletts not one but two knock ons. Gillett also kept bolting out of the line and just clean missing the ball carrier, time after time, allowing them to get an extra 20-30m up field. He'd miss, then go for it again the very next tackle! It was just stupid, stupid play by him - something we've unfortunately come to expect - yet he just keeps getting picked. BHQ being BHQ I guess, Gillett can do no wrong apparently.

Inglis can just piss off if he's not going to try. Seriously, I'm sick of it. He should be having as much if not more impact as Hayne, yet he seems to just not care.

Myles has been our player of the series by a country mile. What a champion. Him and Teo - who was also very good yet BHQ seem to think did nothing - are the only ones with a shred of aggression in our team. Every NSW player plays like they want to kill us, we play like we want to be their friends apart from Myles and Teo.

Slater has been great even while playing injured. Should have shut his doubters up.

Tate has to be the unluckiest guy in the world. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery, and would love to see him lace on the boots again next year, but I'd understand if he doesn't. Hats off to a great Origin career if that is his last game.

Hodges had probably his best Origin, he was heavily involved. Was good to see.

Thurston just hasn't really fired for 2-3 years now at Origin level. Maybe needs to be put on notice.

I can't believe people are saying that should be gilletts last origin, but arguing Taylor was fine... And are then accusing others of agendas lol
Gillett is yet to play a good Origin, and in this one he knocked on twice (compared to Taylors zero), missed a shitload of tackles, and gifted NSW attacking opportunities by charging out of the line and completely missing, leaving gaping holes.

I am trying to get an answer out of ANYONE that has anything to do with the nrl on twitter etc, but i am seriously lost as to why the Woods kick off thing was not over turned... when can the vid ref interevene. It seems like they have no idea. In the tigers game last week or the week before, he overruled a drop out decision, but then the next set couldnt do the same thing again. wtf

I can answer that ... because overturning the decision would have given QLD the ball back in good field position with a chance to win the game ... and we couldn't have that now, could we.

If the situation was reversed and QLD touched the ball before it going dead, the video refs would have overturned the decision and given NSW the ball back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.