Stephen Kearney Named Warriors Coach

For everyone suggesting that Kearney needs to change the culture at the Warriors, this is from an article published yesterday.

Warriors culture must change: Kearney

New Warriors coach Stephen Kearney said transforming the culture of the club will be his top priority when he takes the reigns at the end of the 2016 season.

After being announced as the man to replace Andrew McFadden as head coach of the Kiwi club, Kearney said he would stick to the same formula which had delivered much success for him on the international stage with New Zealand over the past nine years.

"Everyone watching the Warriors can see the potential they do have, and for me it's about creating an environment which helps them realise that potential," Kearney said.

"It's about creating a culture which demands that, so that will be my primary focus, to make sure we demand a very high expectation.

"My focus is on making sure that I improve the culture… making sure that we deliver, that we put our best performance out every week.

"I am sure the rewards will come off the back of that."

In nine seasons as coach of the Kiwis, Kearney guided them through one of their most-successful periods, winning the 2008 Rugby League World Cup and picking up Four Nations titles in 2010 and 2014.

He stood down on Tuesday as coach of the New Zealand side, leaving them as the No.1 ranked nation in the world right now.

Kearney said he expected there would be little difference in how his key coaching principals would apply to an NRL Telstra Premiership side, despite the Warriors having chewed through four coaches since 2012.

"I can't see there being any issues or problems with that… with the more time you have with [the players] it's probably an even better opportunity [to do that]," he said.

"It's a culture that demands a high expectation on the way we train, the way we live and obviously the way we perform.

"From the point of view of expectation, I am confident that if we build the right culture and the right environment and have the players maximise their potential [there will be success]."

Current Wests Tigers assistant coach David Kidwell is the favourite to assume control of the New Zealand national team, with both Kearney and New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Alex Hayton instilling him as the frontrunner for the role.

Source: Warriors culture must change: Kearney - NRL.com

I think it's safe to say he knows what he needs to do.

I think Kearney will be good for them, he should take a leaf out of Bellyache's book and get the laziness out of their game.

Hodges said on NITV that his ambition is coaching the Broncs. Didn't know that.

Wats that got to do with anything?

Because I've always found that the relationships between Maoris is far stronger than that of a non Maori. Given your location, I'm sure you are well aware of that, and would see it quite a bit.

Hmmm no. Thats like saying WB has stronger relations with the Aussie players in the Broncos than the rest. Simply not true. And the warriors are diverse in cultural backgrounds, Maori are just one of many in the team.

Hmmm no. Thats like saying WB has stronger relations with the Aussie players in the Broncos than the rest. Simply not true. And the warriors are diverse in cultural backgrounds, Maori are just one of many in the team.

I think based on the fact that he is a Maori, he will get more out of that team than any other coach at that club in the past.

Shades of the Brian McLennan signing in 2012.

Based on his efforts as the New Zealand coach, Kearney has improved since his time out at Parramatta but I struggle to see how he'll provide the leadership the club so desperately needs. I think they needed to give somebody new a shot, somebody with a new vision who doesn't have any preconceived notions at this level.

In saying that, let's look at Kearney's time at Parramatta.

Kearney was appointed as coach in October 6th, 2010 after the Parra board pulled an about-face and sacked Daniel Anderson from the final year of his contract. By that point, Mateo & Inu had already announced their departures to join the Warriors and in their stead Anderson had brought in Carl Webb, Casey McGuire, Jordan Atkins and Reni Maitua.

Kearney wasn't given the best hand, but he made it worst with his next three signings. Chris Hicks, Paul Whatuira and Chris Walker at one point or another had been handy players that had the luxury of playing in successful teams, but by 2011 were well and truly past their best.

The place needed a clean-out. It wasn't just the signings that were poor, it was the loyalty being shown to ordinary players or players past their best. Of their 17, the only players who really offered much of anything were Hayne, Hindmarsh and Moi Moi. The rest needed to be moved on.

End Result 6-17-1

It was the year the Eels were bound to have. In fairness to Steve, he gave nine rookies a chance in first grade, the issue was the cattle just wasn't there. He had to take the bullet and needed to build a team with some smart signings and quality junior development. He needed to sign players who were consistent, who knew how to make the tough plays and weren't afraid to get their hands dirty.

He signed Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts instead.

Game over.

The signings of Joseph Paulo, Willie Tonga and Taulima Tautai were hardly better mind you but right then and there you just knew Kearney had it all wrong with his halves pairing.

Kearney didn't last the year, Stuart came in and did exactly what Kearney should have done in 2011 and Arthur had a pretty decent base to work with in 2014.

Stephen needs to learn those lessons quick smart. He needs to be adept in his recruitment, stick to a vision and execute. He can't be flexible and allow his recruitment officer to make desperation signings like Sandow. He needs to be firm, show a few of these Warriors players the door and rebuild.

David Kidwell will be taking over the NZ national side for reference.

You guys don't think Kearney has learned anything being under Wayne? I seriously doubt he's the same coach who was at Parramatta 4 years ago.

Wasn't like he and Wayne were strangers before the Eels tenure - Wayne had a lot to do with the Kiwi side that won the World Cup.

Last edited:
That is probably nothing compared to being at training every day together.

Look, it's a tough decision to judge because there's really nothing to judge Kearney on other than his time at Parramatta where he was woeful. I think he showed some improvement as the New Zealand coach, but not enough to say he deserved a second chance.

I can't remember too many times where a coach has bombed as badly as Kearney and gone onto have success. At least with Stuart, he had that early premiership, two grand final appearances and that 2008 season with Cronulla to draw on. Kearney was coaching a team that was competing for the wooden spoon.

It just seemed like a convenient move for the Warriors, to bring in somebody of Kearney's status who they can point to and say they got the job done because they brought in the New Zealand coach. It just doesn't seem like they learned their lesson from McLennan and for mine, Kearney always reminded me of Elliott in that he's known for a conservative approach.

I wish him well, but I don't think the Warriors really thought this through.

Actually, I would argue they've thought it through very well. It's not just Kearney coming in, they've also put in place a think tank of proven coaches, albeit other sports, around him to bounce off. He is the figurehead they need but with a pretty good supporting cast to back him up. The problem they will have is too many egos thinking they know what to do.

I haven't heard anything about a coaching consortium. What I do know is that he'll have three assistant coaches. Two of which, Stacey Jones and Andrew McFadden are already apart of the club and Steve McNamara the former England coach. His tenure as English coach was nothing to write home about and like Kearney he was in charge of a struggling club in Bradford.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kearney seeks out advice from other coaches. They all do it, but all the good advice in the world can't make up for inability.

Good luck to Hodges if he wants to coach us in the future.

I wonder if we could get The Wizard of Oz as an assistant coach. We have quite a few players that need a brain.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Shane Tronc
  • LittleDavey
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bazza
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • BroncoFan94
  • Morkel
  • Nerd
  • broncsgoat
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • pennywisealfie
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.