Staff
  • Staff
So it's official.

What does that mean for the Broncs?

Will be take anyone with him?

sus

QCup Player
****.. hope not!

congrats to kearney.. i thought he was derping it up in the griffinball years, but maybe he wasnt given the tools/space/reign, maybe its irrelevant

not expecting to see another warriors finals appearanxe anytime soon.. but good luck to him!

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Out there somewhere
I think Kearney is better suited to an assistant role than a head role. His head coaching stint at Parramatta was abysmal, I can't remember anything positive about those 2 years.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I think Kearney is better suited to an assistant role than a head role. His head coaching stint at Parramatta was abysmal, I can't remember anything positive about those 2 years.
He was at Parramatta ... even the "great" Ricky Stuart got the wooden spoon with that mob

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Yeah that was Parra. Don't forget he's going to the War.......sss, oh I see your point, Carry on

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
The mistake he made was trying to turn Parra into the Storm IMO. Not to mention the basket case that place has turned out to be. He's got a few more years behind him working up here, plus running the National side. I just wonder if he has what it takes to change the culture at the place, because I don't think a change of coach is going to change much, if anything.

On Cleary, rumours abound that the Dragons are chasing hard.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
I reckon he was still too 'ripe' when he took the Parra job.

These last couple of years under Wayne, plus his experience with the national team will stand him in good stead.

It's going to be bloody tough though - the Warriors seem to have a toxic culture running through the club.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain

These last couple of years under Wayne, plus his experience with the national team will stand him in good stead.

It's going to be bloody tough though - the Warriors seem to have a toxic culture running through the club.
Probably exactly why they got the NZ test coach. That will get half their team onside straight up. How they respond is another matter.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

It's going to take more than a change of coach to fix the problems there.

I don't see Kearney changing a thing. The attitude from the players on field the vast majority of the time is shit. I think that's a lot more than a coaching issue.

Last edited:

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
Quick search looks like maybe they've only had one. Kearney might be a really good call.
I think it's a good call, but will he be given the control to change/repair the culture there? As you've said previously, the issues run deeper than the coach.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I think it's a good call, but will he be given the control to change/repair the culture there? As you've said previously, the issues run deeper than the coach.
If he can get the playing group's respect, he'll go alright.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
First thing he needs to change is the warriors culture and therefor lack of. For years now they have just looked like they don't want to be on the field at times and I feel that the players think they run the club a little bit too much. Owners need to start backing coaches and getting rid of non performing players even if they are superstars of the club. Look at what Taylor has done with the tigers when they finally backed a coach for a change instead of a player.

bb_gun

NRL Player
For everyone suggesting that Kearney needs to change the culture at the Warriors, this is from an article published yesterday.

Warriors culture must change: Kearney

New Warriors coach Stephen Kearney said transforming the culture of the club will be his top priority when he takes the reigns at the end of the 2016 season.

After being announced as the man to replace Andrew McFadden as head coach of the Kiwi club, Kearney said he would stick to the same formula which had delivered much success for him on the international stage with New Zealand over the past nine years.

"Everyone watching the Warriors can see the potential they do have, and for me it's about creating an environment which helps them realise that potential," Kearney said.

"It's about creating a culture which demands that, so that will be my primary focus, to make sure we demand a very high expectation.

"My focus is on making sure that I improve the culture… making sure that we deliver, that we put our best performance out every week.

"I am sure the rewards will come off the back of that."

In nine seasons as coach of the Kiwis, Kearney guided them through one of their most-successful periods, winning the 2008 Rugby League World Cup and picking up Four Nations titles in 2010 and 2014.

He stood down on Tuesday as coach of the New Zealand side, leaving them as the No.1 ranked nation in the world right now.

Kearney said he expected there would be little difference in how his key coaching principals would apply to an NRL Telstra Premiership side, despite the Warriors having chewed through four coaches since 2012.

"I can't see there being any issues or problems with that… with the more time you have with [the players] it's probably an even better opportunity [to do that]," he said.

"It's a culture that demands a high expectation on the way we train, the way we live and obviously the way we perform.

"From the point of view of expectation, I am confident that if we build the right culture and the right environment and have the players maximise their potential [there will be success]."

Current Wests Tigers assistant coach David Kidwell is the favourite to assume control of the New Zealand national team, with both Kearney and New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Alex Hayton instilling him as the frontrunner for the role.

Source: Warriors culture must change: Kearney - NRL.com
I think it's safe to say he knows what he needs to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Twitter