Sterlo can't see Dogs or Broncos in eight

My dream for the NRL is for it to become so big that fox sports can afford to pay home team commentators.

I never get the impression that Sterlo hates the Broncos. I get the impression that Brandy Alexander does, but not Sterlo. He just loves the Eels and everyone else is in second place.

And he's bloody right in his assessment of us this year. We have a VERY tough draw that could easily see us 0-5 to start the season. And then add in the fact we have no depth in the front row position, it's quite easy to see us not making the 8. Because Hunt needs all the help he can get up front to have a successful season.

I hope we can prove the haters wrong, and definitely have faith we will. But if I'm a casual observer I can see the cracks in the season for the Broncos this year.

Sterlo has never been good at picking red herrings.

I don't care about his prediction, he's a legend of the game and I really enjoy him as a journalists. His 1 on 1 interviews have been a real highlight these past few years and well worth watching if you have the time.

The only time I remember being disappointed in Sterlo was his behaviour during and after the Broncos/Titans final. He wasn't alone, but the carry-on was enough to turn me off the whole finals series.

Sterlo has never been good at picking red herrings.

I don't care about his prediction, he's a legend of the game and I really enjoy him as a journalists. His 1 on 1 interviews have been a real highlight these past few years and well worth watching if you have the time.

The only time I remember being disappointed in Sterlo was his behaviour during and after the Broncos/Titans final. He wasn't alone, but the carry-on was enough to turn me off the whole finals series.

His silence during QLD dominated Origin games (namely game 3 '15 where Gould, Rabs and Sterlo were quiet for large patches of play) is pretty shameful, but otherwise, I would agree. He's one of the more astute observers of the game. Hasn't been able to hide his anti-broncos leanings over the years, though.

I never get the impression that Sterlo hates the Broncos. I get the impression that Brandy Alexander does, but not Sterlo. He just loves the Eels and everyone else is in second place.

And he's bloody right in his assessment of us this year. We have a VERY tough draw that could easily see us 0-5 to start the season. And then add in the fact we have no depth in the front row position, it's quite easy to see us not making the 8. Because Hunt needs all the help he can get up front to have a successful season.

I hope we can prove the haters wrong, and definitely have faith we will. But if I'm a casual observer I can see the cracks in the season for the Broncos this year.
Brandy too, both flogs

I'm not too bothered about Sterlo's predictions. His knowledge of the game has different strengths than analysis of different teams.
As far as being biased, he's far from the worst out there too... there are a few of them who wouldn't look out of place skewered to a large pole.

That said, he's not wrong about what the Broncos need and where our problems are. We will need both Hunt and Milford to fire up and play like 2015 to be a significant force this season, but I don't think the loss of Parker and Wallace will affect us as much as people fear.
I don't believe McGuire is the solution at lock however, and I'm a bit concerned he'll be more of a hindrance than a positive in the position. For mine, he's much more useful as a high energy Prop.

Another year into the likes of Ofa, Ese, Su'A, Arrow, etc... will help, as will Korbin Sims presence, so in summary I'm not sure we are quite a true premiership candidate... yet, but we are also far from a bottom feeder.
If a few things click, we will be thereabouts in the Top 4, and from there everything is possible!

Enforce the 10m and ruck and we come first, let it slide like last year (despite reducing the interchange to quicken the game up) and we finish about 5th.

EDIT: Another pipe dream is them sticking by their pledge to bin teams who give away intentional penalties when defending their line (RIP Storm, Cows, Roosters, Souths, Dogs).

Enforce the 10m and ruck and we come first, let it slide like last year (despite reducing the interchange to quicken the game up) and we finish about 5th.

Way too simplistic.

This seems pretty standard. Every team needs their halfback and 5/8, forwards and 9 to fire up.

I suppose he's saying he doesn't think it's going to happen, but then again, I've read a lot of posts on here with that exact same opinion.

I agree with his assessment. If the halves don't fire, the Broncs won't make the 8. This team has a lot more weaknesses than the last two seasons. The young guys will hopefully step up but there is no guarantee they will.
Bit surprised to see you admit to that after giving me heaps for more or less saying the same thing, but hey I am not a popular journo ex player.
Maybe I am just delusional.

Even broken clocks are right twice a day...
Not if they are digital.

EDIT: Another pipe dream is them sticking by their pledge to bin teams who give away intentional penalties when defending their line (RIP Storm, Cows, Roosters, Souths, Dogs).
Whatever suits the Titans game I guess.

Big call to say we will miss the 8, we only need to have a pretty average year, win basically half of your games and can still scrape in.

We definitely have enough quality to get in the eight, top four is our challenge unless we really improve our kicking game, earn more repeat sets and sort out the meters we concede in defense.

Saying "The Broncos will make the 8" doesn't make headlines

As a pro journo, he is making sure his name stays in the headlines

His points are reasonable, but I would argue that the difference between top 4 and finishing 5-8

Sterlo is the greatest underhanded bronco basher ever lived. I've actually got a bit more respect for him as he was pretty upfront there. The only team he kicks the crap out of more is parramatta when they are down.

I think his comments fair. We are an unknown in depth of forwards, our halfback was not great last year and we have a tough start to the season.
I would think a lot of people outside the club would think the same way but us loyal supporters know better.

Rothfield has tipped us to miss the 8 as well, brings up the loss of Parker and Bennett's Newcastle stint as reasons.

although he does tip us to miss the 8 every year

Matty Johns and Mark Geyer on the Grill Team this morning has us misssing the eight as well.
Johns based it on losing Parker as well as the press saying Bennett has lost his aura???

They followed up with a Tallis interview who said, "As you get older, you still love your grandad, you just don't listen to him as much". Whatever that means...

Active Now

• Stix
  • YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • NSW stables
  • broncos4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Aldo
  • davidp
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.