Storm sign Inglis to contract extension

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Champion five-eighth Greg Inglis has agreed to a multi-year contract extension with the Melbourne Storm.

It is a major boost to the Storm on the eve of the NRL finals series, with the club hot favourites to claim a second straight title.

There had been speculation that the 21-year-old Inglis would be tempted by the big money on offer in French rugby.

But the Queensland and Australian star, who was already contracted to the Storm until the end of 2010, has decided to further extend his stay in Melbourne.

I'm not a fan of the Storm, tbh, but i am glad that he extended his contract. It's good news for the Storm because he is a star player. but it is also very good news for the NRL and league in Australia, that such a big name player has decided to stay in Australia for what would probably be considerably less than he could have earned over seas.

WELL DONE GREG INGLIS [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/storm ... -4dca.html

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Ho hum, all he has to do is at any stage in his contract he wants to go to French Union or whatever, he can just say "Pay $500K transfer to my club and all good". Thanks Bulldogs. Thanks for caving in.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Thats a negative slant Coxy lol. I agree though, its great he has shown the commitment to stay but because of SBW the exit has become so much easier for these top level players, their agents and the overseas suitors.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, hate to be negative, but the cynic in me thinks it's just a nice way for him to stop people speculating, and he can "negotiate" with Khoder in peace.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Yeah, hate to be negative, but the cynic in me thinks it's just a nice way for him to stop people speculating, and he can "negotiate" with Khoder in peace.

I hope your wrong but as we know stranger things have happened. I just hope that if he or anyone else in the NRL want to pursue a better deal elsewhere they actually tell there club and try to get a release because the next high profile player to go depending on which way they exit will have huge ramifications for the NRL. Another SBW style exit will (hopefully) make the NRL do something to fix its problems because you cannot let players break contracts and then get away with it, it makes the NRL and its clubs look very weak.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
How can the Storm afford this? This means that the only players NOT signed for 2011 are Cam Smith and Slater. How can they keep Cronk, Blair, Manu, Lima, Johnson and Quinn AND stay under??

I don't understand how they can keep the big three (Smith, Inglis, Slater), which makes this signing a little premature, considering it's 08 still. Inglis is golden, but they hav not locked up Cam Smith.

Not to mention; Quinn, Blair, Manu, Lima and Johnson would all be demanding some decent upgrades. Something isn't right.

P.S. Has Steve Turner re signed? When is his contract up?

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Hammo said:
How can the Storm afford this? This means that the only players NOT signed for 2011 are Cam Smith and Slater. How can they keep Cronk, Blair, Manu, Lima, Johnson and Quinn AND stay under??

I don't understand how they can keep the big three (Smith, Inglis, Slater), which makes this signing a little premature, considering it's 08 still. Inglis is golden, but they hav not locked up Cam Smith.

Not to mention; Quinn, Blair, Manu, Lima and Johnson would all be demanding some decent upgrades. Something isn't right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V596x9cwLYM

i think i smell a rat ooh i think i smell a rat [icon_shady

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Good to see Storm have a salary cap.

Apparently broncos will struggle to keep lockyer, hodges and hunt at the same time yet melbourne have re-signed most of there stars and very soon will extend cam smith's contract for 4 years.

Good work NRL.

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Well done to GI! I have no doubt there was huge money for him to cross but he showed some loyalty and decided to stay with the game that has given him his life and fame.

Good choice

I agree totally in regards to the Storm cap issue, surely something is doing there

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
just read that the Storm are going to help relocate GI's parents to Melbourne.

Inglis admitted he had received overseas offers of around $1 million a season.

But the big sweetener to remain with the Storm was worth much less financially and much more emotionally.

The club agreed to help move Inglis' parents from Bowraville on the NSW mid-north coast to Melbourne to be closer to their son - just days after Inglis' father Wade Blair suffered a heart attack which left him hospitalised.

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/ingli ... -4dca.html

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
All those questioning the Storm should look at there own backyard first. People from every other club have questioned us the same way for a very long time. The answer is simple they want to play for a winning club with a winning culture perfect example of this was Steve Turner turning his back on the GC or even Michael Hancock staying for basically nothing here with no guarantee of first grade. People who are younger will sacrifice a bigger deal now because they have more contracts to come and they would prefer to play for a good club with a great squad achieving great things. They are going through the same issues we went through and have lost a few guys and will lose more but so far they have scouted brilliantly to find good kids to come along and fill the holes that have been left.

S

Sabu_2008

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
Contracts mean nothing nowadays anyway. WOuldnt be suprised to see him in Union before 2012

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hammo said:

I can understand where people are coming from when they say stuff like this, but to me it seems a little odd when it comes from Broncos supporters. Mates, team culture, coaching staff etc. can really sway decent players into staying despite the fact they could be earning more elsewhere.

If there is any doubt about all this, please look at the Broncos line-up from 2000.

Hell, people could even say it about our line-up for next year. The forwards might not contain the biggest names in RL (though Sam Thaiday as a rep player would now be worth as much as nearly any in the game), but we'll have a backline featuring Hunt, Hodges, Folau, Lockyer and Wallace. Farking impressive!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
bfoord said:

But the big sweetener to remain with the Storm was worth much less financially and much more emotionally.

The club agreed to help move Inglis' parents from Bowraville on the NSW mid-north coast to Melbourne to be closer to their son - just days after Inglis' father Wade Blair suffered a heart attack which left him hospitalised.

I hope that goes under the cap, cause they're basically paying what otherwise inglis would of probably had to pay for.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
broncospwn said:
bfoord said:

I hope that goes under the cap, cause they're basically paying what otherwise inglis would of probably had to pay for.
Wouldn't it have normally been what his parents would've had to pay for...wouldn't they just give the money to them? eusa_think

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
mrslong said:
broncospwn said:
bfoord said:

Wouldn't it have normally been what his parents would've had to pay for...wouldn't they just give the money to them? eusa_think

Giving his parents the money, or w/e point is inglis and his family are benefiting from it so ti should go DIRECTLY towards the cap money.

Talk about salary cap scandal, Melbourne are probably giving vacations to many players families.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
As broncos fans we can't really say anything about the Storm without looking in our own backyard. I'm sure there are some fairly similar deals around here that no other club could offer players either. Meh I don't care, if that's what it takes to keep Inglis in League than that's what it takes.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Read today that Smith was thinking about doing the same thing. Personally, I think Melbourne are being very intelligent in the way they are approaching the recruitment/retention of their star players. Most of the QLD boys want to be closer to family...so they bring the families to them.
Brilliant!

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dee
  • Painin the Haas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.