COMP SVRL Expression of Interest

It's a shame but I respect that, much the same reason I don't participate in other forms of fantasy outside SVRL. The draft is really the only lengthy process and it takes a fair bit of looking at the rules to understand scoring and smart drafting.

If you change your mind though you'd be a welcome addition!

I've never played draft in NRL, but I'm well-versed in the matter having done a few drafts every year for the last 10 years for Fantasy NBA.

I can only assume it's a snake draft w/ similar point scoring to SuperCoach?

Can someone explain the rules\procedure to me. Have never played any fantasy sports but if it only takes 10min\week would consider giving it a go.

Do me a favour and pretend you're explaining it to a clueless idiot.

Unlike other fantasy leagues that rely heavily on stats, SVRL has an extremely simple scoring system. Each week you name a team of 17 and a goal kicker and if those players score points, it goes directly to your points total.

eg. David Fifita scores a try, that's four points to your team guaranteed.

However stats aren't completely irrelevant so guys like Payne Haas aren't completely useless.

Forwards (eg. players named at 8-13) can score what is known as a forward try if they can either...

(A) Make 30+ Tackles
(B) Make 14 Runs for 120m+)
(C) Make 40 something Tackles and Runs All Up.

If you've got Payne Haas and the big fella doesn't score any tries, but makes 30+ tackles, don't worry. You've got 4 points.

Halves who often set up tries but rarely score them also have additional way of scoring. If they're credited with a try assist, bang 2 points. If they kick a 40/20, we're that impressed you get 4 points. Unfortunately for Cameron Smith, only halves are credited for Try Assists and 40/20s so he'll have to plead his case elsewhere.

Are you following so far? Point Scorers, Forward Tries, Halves Try Assists and 40/20s.

Sounds easy enough, I'm in. What's the link? I assume there's some kind of budget to work with? I can't just fill my team with the best players?

Sounds easy enough, I'm in. What's the link? I assume there's some kind of budget to work with? I can't just fill my team with the best players?

No, you get to assume the role of Nick Politis which means congratulations you've got carte blanche to sign all the talent you want...

...when it's your turn.

It's a draft league which means you'll be up against seven other players and you have to wait your turn before you can sign players.

The other players will walk you through the draft but it usually goes like this.

1. Returning Coaches: Nominate 1 Back and 1 Forward from their 2019 roster they can keep for the following season.

2. Returning Coaches: Nominate 3 Keepers (players drafted from outside the first five rounds in 2019) they wish to hold onto.

3. New Players: Enter what's known as the restricted round. In the first two rounds you can pick 1 forward and 1 back from the Top 40 list (this is marked in the player database).

4. New Players: Continue with the draft order, but get to pick 3 players outside of the Top 40 list.

Last edited:
No, you get to assume the role of Nick Politis which means congratulations you've got carte blanche to sign all the talent you want...

...when it's your turn.

It's a draft league which means you'll be up against seven other players and you have to wait your turn before you can sign players.
The ways you mentioned are the only ways to score points?

...when it's your turn.

one other thing that should be mentioned is that there are several players you can keep over multiple years

you can have 2 marquee players (1 forward and 1 back) ... plus 3 keepers (there are rules around keepers and marquee players)

The ways you mentioned are the only ways to score points?

Tries = 4 Points
Goals = 2 Points
Field Goals = 1 Point
Halves Try Assists = 2 Points
Halves 40/20s = 4 Points
Forward Tries = 4 Points

one other thing that should be mentioned is that there are several players you can keep over multiple years

you can have 2 marquee players (1 forward and 1 back) ... plus 3 keepers (there are rules around keepers and marquee players)
So teams don't change every week? Whoever gets Haas gets him for the season? Can I call shotgun on him?

So teams don't change every week? Whoever gets Haas gets him for the season? Can I call shotgun on him?

That's right, you assemble your roster at the start of the season and you have to pick your 17 players from that group of players.

If you're scared of commitments don't worry. SVRL rewards fickle tendancies, so you can dump two players and draft in two free agents through the waiver each week.

You can also organise trades with other players, so if you're a wheeler and dealer you can whip your roster into shape.

Be warned though there is a limit and when you give that player the flick, they're not coming back. Rugby League players are emotional beings and they need an off-season to cool down before they'll consider rejoining you.

As far as Haas goes, that's a matter for you and soup to discuss.

I think you'd have an easier time selling snows to the eskimo personally, but you never know.

Tries = 4 Points
Goals = 2 Points
Field Goals = 1 Point
Halves Try Assists = 2 Points
Halves 40/20s = 4 Points
Forward Tries = 4 Points

So players who aren't halves can't get points for try assists or 40/20's?..

That seems.. odd..

Haha...thanks all, I'll have a browse of the info and will likely be in!!

That seems.. odd..

It's been highly debated over the years whether those stats should be extended, but they were only introduced to make halves more valuable since they historically added the least amount of value of any position.

That seems.. odd..

It’s to give halves any sort of value. If every player can get TA’s then halves just become pointless.

That seems.. odd..

last year we added fullbacks to the list of positions that can get try assists

Last edited:
So all the best players are already taken? Seems kinda counter-productive to attracting newcomers.

Still, I'll give it a whirl. My ragtag team of no-names and washed-up has-beens will band together and create a bond so tight we will win the whole thing in an epic fairytale finale after an inspiring halftime speach from the coach. Hollywood might even use it as a formula for a bunch of feelgood movies. Might even pick Boyd for my fairytale, he's available right?

Last edited:
It's been highly debated over the years whether those stats should be extended, but they were only introduced to make halves more valuable since they historically added the least amount of value of any position.

Certainly don't want to criticise SVRL, as it seems like a cool concept that's been around for a long time, but the scoring system feels a little archaic.

Maybe transitioning in to a SuperCoach draft league would be the way to go in the future. I know that SC has fully revamped the draft leagues this year with way more customisation available, etc.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Robboi_321
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
  • Splinter
  • HarryAllan7
  • Johnny92
  • Redux
  • RolledOates
  • broncs30
  • Skathen
  • broncsgoat
  • jarro65
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.