COMP SVRL Expression of Interest

One final thing.

In SVRL goal kickers are treated like gods. Since they're usually the highest point scorers of any given season, they're the hottest commodity in the competition and only become available after all the coaches have picked their two marquee and three keepers.

Current GKs include
Jamayne Isaako
Jarrod Croker
Shaun Johnson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Cameron Smith
Kalyn Ponga
Mitchell Moses
Nathan Cleary
Adam Reynolds

Just as an example. The list isn't finalised and will include the two likely goal kickers heading into the season.

b4l is in for some bad news in regards to Holmes.

One final thing.

In SVRL goal kickers are treated like gods. Since they're usually the highest point scorers of any given season, they're the hottest commodity in the competition and only become available after all the coaches have picked their two marquee and three keepers.

Current GKs include
Jamayne Isaako
Jarrod Croker
Shaun Johnson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Cameron Smith
Kalyn Ponga
Mitchell Moses
Nathan Cleary
Adam Reynolds

Just as an example. The list isn't finalised and will include the two likely goal kickers heading into the season.

Of course they're gods, there's no negative points for missing goals. 😂

It seems like whoever developed SVRL was a massive Corey Parker fan but didn't want to have to worry about him kicking goals at 65%.

It has its merit as far as being archaic goes. It’s much more casual for one, and it rewards a clever drafting process, considering the scoring options.

I came into from being a SC addict and was actually pleasantly surprised tbh. It’s a bit like playing the old Cricket board game Test Match, compared to some super-real, highly technical simulator which sucks all of your time.

Agreed, it's a nice SC adjacent game that gets you thinking differently about the game without being a huge time sink.

If there was going to be an SVRL replacemt (perish the thought!) it would have to be something outside of SVRL.

I haven't really seen any other fantasy leagues other than CRL which was ridiculously complex.

Certainly don't want to criticise SVRL, as it seems like a cool concept that's been around for a long time, but the scoring system feels a little archaic.

Maybe transitioning in to a SuperCoach draft league would be the way to go in the future. I know that SC has fully revamped the draft leagues this year with way more customisation available, etc.

That’s the very point for why we have the scoring system, so that it is different from SuperCoach. If it were the same as SuperCoach what would be the point?

One final thing.

Current GKs include
Jamayne Isaako
Jarrod Croker
Shaun Johnson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Cameron Smith
Kalyn Ponga
Mitchell Moses
Nathan Cleary
Adam Reynolds

I’m used to bad news in this game Pete, water off a ducks back lol.

With the greatest respect to those who are critical, and I admit I am extremely biased here as I was one of the founding players way back when - but you're wrong. 😂

Yes - I suppose it is archaic in it's essence, but I find it's simplicity one of it's greatest appeals. It was never designed to be a complicated game - otherwise people like @Porthoz would never be able to play it. Granted - he's still rubbish, but he tries so hard. Bless his soul. I'm getting off track...

It was designed to be immersive, but not time consuming. If anyone can remember the old school VRL website made by Coxy around 2005-2006, it was basically made to replace that after stats providers decided to become massive twats. It was designed to replicate the real NRL, that's why we only reward tries, goals and field goals. That obviously rendered certain positions useless, so we scaled statistics to award forward tries to hard working forwards, and try assists to halves and fullbacks - which is what they mainly do in the real NRL.

You spend all your time in the preseason researching players and team changes and put it all into a draft that takes 3-4 weeks and then you have your own special squad to call your own for the season. It feels MORE like being a coach than SuperCoach or fantasy because you're the only person who has your players within your own conference and you can choose to focus on try scoring backs or consistent forwards.

You feel better when you beat your opposing coaches to a player you have your eye on - and you know that you've just annoyed 7 other people at once. You feel great when you take a chance on a rookie late in the draft and he turns into a star. There's a much greater sense of accomplishment when you do well because you know that you drafted the best team when you compare it to SC or Fantasy when there are thousands of others with the same players as you.

If you're worried about the best players never being available - there are only ever 2 players in each team that you are unlikely to ever get, and that's the marquees. Keepers can only be kept for 1 year and they they have to go back into the player pool. Yes - it does make it a bit more challenging for newer players, but you get the advantage of picking from the entire pool of players that aren't already marquees AND get early draft position. I can safely say Payne Haas will never be available though. This is a Broncos forum after all.

All you need to do during the week is check teams lists and name your squad of 17 (plus 2 emergencies) before the kick off of the first game of the round. On Wednesday night there is also waivers to be done, so if you want to make changes to your squad you need to PM the person looking after waivers for your conference who you want to dump and who you want to replace them with. There's more on this in the rules page. It's literally less than 10 minute work per week and then you're free to enjoy your weekend.

PLUS - you get to trash talk all year via the forum.

So all the best players are already taken? Seems kinda counter-productive to attracting newcomers.
To combat this, "keepers" can only be players drafted after the first 5 rounds in the previous year's draft. This means the best players are made available for new teams. On top of that, everyone's goal kickers are returned to the draft pool each year too.

As a relatively new player myself, I found the only time you're really at a disadvantage as a first-time player is in marquee selections.

With the greatest respect to those who are critical, and I admit I am extremely biased here as I was one of the founding players way back when - but you're wrong. 😂

Yes - I suppose it is archaic in it's essence, but I find it's simplicity one of it's greatest appeals. It was never designed to be a complicated game - otherwise people like @Porthoz would never be able to play it. Granted - he's still rubbish, but he tries so hard. Bless his soul. I'm getting off track...

It was designed to be immersive, but not time consuming. If anyone can remember the old school VRL website made by Coxy around 2005-2006, it was basically made to replace that after stats providers decided to become massive twats. It was designed to replicate the real NRL, that's why we only reward tries, goals and field goals. That obviously rendered certain positions useless, so we scaled statistics to award forward tries to hard working forwards, and try assists to halves and fullbacks - which is what they mainly do in the real NRL.

You spend all your time in the preseason researching players and team changes and put it all into a draft that takes 3-4 weeks and then you have your own special squad to call your own for the season. It feels MORE like being a coach than SuperCoach or fantasy because you're the only person who has your players within your own conference and you can choose to focus on try scoring backs or consistent forwards.

You feel better when you beat your opposing coaches to a player you have your eye on - and you know that you've just annoyed 7 other people at once. You feel great when you take a chance on a rookie late in the draft and he turns into a star. There's a much greater sense of accomplishment when you do well because you know that you drafted the best team when you compare it to SC or Fantasy when there are thousands of others with the same players as you.

If you're worried about the best players never being available - there are only ever 2 players in each team that you are unlikely to ever get, and that's the marquees. Keepers can only be kept for 1 year and they they have to go back into the player pool. Yes - it does make it a bit more challenging for newer players, but you get the advantage of picking from the entire pool of players that aren't already marquees AND get early draft position. I can safely say Payne Haas will never be available though. This is a Broncos forum after all.

All you need to do during the week is check teams lists and name your squad of 17 (plus 2 emergencies) before the kick off of the first game of the round. On Wednesday night there is also waivers to be done, so if you want to make changes to your squad you need to PM the person looking after waivers for your conference who you want to dump and who you want to replace them with. There's more on this in the rules page. It's literally less than 10 minute work per week and then you're free to enjoy your weekend.

Perfectly worded.

I won* Conference B last season in only my second ever season after having a year off.

I had to pick marquees of which I ended up benching or dropping completely from my squad. It’s all about drafting those early picks
well.

*first but didn’t win the GF

Last edited:

This. All of this.

Agreed, it's a nice SC adjacent game that gets you thinking differently about the game without being a huge time sink.

If there was going to be an SVRL replacemt (perish the thought!) it would have to be something outside of SVRL.

I haven't really seen any other fantasy leagues other than CRL which was ridiculously complex.
Check out www.nearlysport.com It's very similar to SVRL. It's the best in the land.

You can put as much or as little time into SVRL as you want really. I don't take it seriously at all and still enjoy it. It also makes non Bronco games a little more interesting imo. Looking gone for all money only to have your last 2 eligible players score stupid points to get you over the line is awesome. As Clintos mentioned as well, there's also those moments in the draft where you grab several peoples next selection. The chorus of "Fuuuuck you" after you make your selection is delightful.

I won* Conference B last season in only my second ever season after having a year off.

I had to pick marquees of which I ended up benching or dropping completely from my squad. It’s all about drafting those early picks
well.

*first but didn’t win the GF
I also won* Conference B last season in only my second ever season.

*actually won the GF 😉

To be fair everything you said said applies to SC draft as well. I would argue the scoring system is more simplistic in SC because you're not having to worry about certain positions or roles being exponentially more strong than others. You can still have a live draft with no time limit, trade with each other, use waivers, fully customize when the season starts and ends, the number of spots on each roster, how many people make the playoffs, etc.

But you guys are obviously accustomed to this method, which is understandable. I also hate change.

To be fair everything you said said applies to SC draft as well. I would argue the scoring system is more simplistic in SC because you're not having to worry about certain positions or roles being exponentially more strong than others. You can still have a live draft with no time limit, trade with each other, use waivers, fully customize when the season starts and ends, the number of spots on each roster, how many people make the playoffs, etc.

But you guys are obviously accustomed to this method, which is understandable. I also hate change.

While that is true for the draft method being same, the key difference is scoring. This is the closest to actual game scoring. While I do also enjoy SuperCoach the scoring is points for everything.

Whilst most of that is true, I wholeheartedly disagree with you regarding scoring. There are way too many scoring discrepancies with SC for that to be true. As soon as human interpretation comes into it then it becomes unnecessarily complex. VRL is black and white. Did they score a try? Yes? Have 4 points!

It's the nature of sport for certain roles to be stronger than others regardless. Look at the modern day centre in the NRL. They don't score as many tries as the wingers, they don't get as many try assists compared to halves and fullbacks, they don't make as many runs or tackles as the forwards. In SC they can still get 80+ scores through tackle breaks, offloads and last touches. In VRL they get nothing. There's nothing wrong with having 'weaker' positions IMO. To me it's more authentic and more accurately reflects NRL.

Whilst most of that is true, I wholeheartedly disagree with you regarding scoring. There are way too many scoring discrepancies with SC for that to be true. As soon as human interpretation comes into it then it becomes unnecessarily complex. VRL is black and white. Did they score a try? Yes? Have 4 points!

It's the nature of sport for certain roles to be stronger than others regardless. Look at the modern day centre in the NRL. They don't score as many tries as the wingers, they don't get as many try assists compared to halves and fullbacks, they don't make as many runs or tackles as the forwards. In SC they can still get 80+ scores through tackle breaks, offloads and last touches. In VRL they get nothing. There's nothing wrong with having 'weaker' positions IMO. To me it's more authentic and more accurately reflects NRL.

Saving this for the amount of times I miss out on a forward try due to human interpretation of how many runs or tackles someone makes lol

Active Now

• barker
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.