Taylor gone to Bunnies

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
And that will be the last we will hear from him. It seems that the fastest way to kill your career is to head to souths.

But we can't keep everyone, Broncos can't always be to blame and if he wants to move to a less successful team for more cash and less opportunities then so be it. You can't make them sign the dotted line.

More cash for Hunt now.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The bunnies offer was way more than i would wanted the Broncos to pay for him... last time i read it was 250k per season and i seriously don't think that he is worth anywhere near that. and if that is the case, it seems that the bunnies still need to pay overs for players to get them to sign for them

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Obviously Taylor is not living up to the standards that the Broncos have set for him, in one way or another. The Broncos have been patient with him, giving him all the time in the world to get himself up to scratch, and they still wanted to resign him for next year.

He has decided to take a far bigger offer from Souths, which means that there will be a huge rise in what is expected of him - Souths will most likely be expecting a consistent, probably starting forward. How Taylor handles this pressure will be interesting to watch. I think it's either going to finally wake him up and realise his potential, or it's going to ruin him.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Explosive players like Taylor are always gonna be worth more than the normal workhorses. SBW was payed half the Dogs salary cap because the commentators loved him. I think if we concerntrate on someone like McGuire who is also an impressive prospect and who instead of being an explosive impact forward like Taylor is more like a younger version of Webcke or Civo, it would suit us just as well for less money.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
schmix said:
Obviously Taylor is not living up to the standards that the Broncos have set for him, in one way or another. The Broncos have been patient with him, giving him all the time in the world to get himself up to scratch, and they still wanted to resign him for next year.

He has decided to take a far bigger offer from Souths, which means that there will be a huge rise in what is expected of him - Souths will most likely be expecting a consistent, probably starting forward. How Taylor handles this pressure will be interesting to watch. I think it's either going to finally wake him up and realise his potential, or it's going to ruin him.

i think that is he more likely outcome until he gets out of the Bunnies. how many players have we seen go to the bunnies for that cash only to see their careers stall eusa_think

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Good luck to him, although historically a move to Souths for the extra coin has proven to be a career killer for most. We'll see.

I love watching Dave play for us but we can't keep them all. And no matter what potential we all see in him, he's been incredibly hit and miss when he's been given opportunities to impress. Simple as that, he's had his chances.

Had he have taken those (admittedly sometimes limited) opportunities and made the most of them, he may have found himself a regular in the Broncos 1st grade side and commanding a contract to reflect the unusually high amount that he and his manager believe he is worth at this point in his career.

So yeah, disappointing, but over it very quickly to be honest.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Another case of looking short term and going for the cash rather than long term and taking the time to develop into a truly great player IMO. For DT's sake (cause I actually really like the guy) I hope I am wrong, but I agree with others that I think this will seriously impair his career.

T

Tiger_Woods

BRL Player
Dec 23, 2008
Like I told you guys few weeks back.
But no one listens to little Elia around here [icon_drun

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
This is up there with the most disappointing player losses ever for me, this kid could be anything.

I also think the moving to Souths and stalling was true a few years ago, but is a bit of a myth these days. Craig Wing is on the verge of breaking back into the origin team since going to souths, Roy's going pretty well (was named best NZ player first year he was at souths and certainly doing better than his other doggies counterparts at the roosters), Jamie Simpson from the broncos is also doing alright when he couldn't crack our squad.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I think the Souths move is a career killer is a myth. No doubt lots of guys have gone there and gone to shit, but Jamie Simpson, Sandow, Asotasi show that careers can bloom there.

It would have been nice if the Broncs gave him a bit more of a chance instead of putting him in the team and out of the team all the time.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Je$ter said:
I think the Souths move is a career killer is a myth. No doubt lots of guys have gone there and gone to shit, but Jamie Simpson, Sandow, Asotasi show that careers can bloom there.

It would have been nice if the Broncs gave him a bit more of a chance instead of putting him in the team and out of the team all the time.

Yep.

It's even more painful when you see players like Steve Michaels who seem to have blind faith instilled in them by the coaching staff.

Regardless of his fitness or whatever, i honestly believe if Taylor continually made the bench over the last two seasons, he'd of probably been keen to stay.

Souths have thrown massive money his way, and he's not even sure he'll be in first grade each week for the Broncos. Can't blame him myself.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
I'd say Asotasi is a better player at Souths than he was at the Dogs.

Don't know why Jamie Simpson is put up as an example though? He is a centre, and his last game saw him start at hooker. WTF!?!?! Jason Taylor is a myth.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Congrats Bruno and Ivan... Ever since the Bennett to the Roosters saga happened the Broncos management and player retention has gone to $hit. I can't blame Taylor for his decision in my eyes he was treated like crap at the Broncos when you compare him to guys like michaels.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Alec said:
On the plus side, it might be a little easier to re-sign Hunt now. :oops:

Disappointing tbh, but with Souffs offering him 350K (or whatever it was) there's nothing we could have done (assuming we put him in QLD Cup BECAUSE he said he was going to sign with them). Souffs signing him and Crocker is a little suss though.

How ironic if we also lost Hunt. [eusa_doh

As for a career move, I think it's a good one, especially since I'm not one of the Bunny Baggers on these forums.

Hmmm ... A forward pack including Asotasi, Crocker and Taylor. Not too bad IMO.

In any case, it's probably the last we'll see of Taylor in the top team this year. But then, we've always got Michaels to look forward to.

Henjak has learned his craft well.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
When are people going to realise that forwards in general and props in particular need time to develop? Young forwards come along with big reputations from their schooldays and are thrust into the heat of NRL battle too soon and then don't live up to the hype. Why? because they have not had the time invested into them to learn their trade in the lower grades, but rather just thrown in the deep end. It is no conincidence that the best props in the game are generally late 20s through to mid to late 30s. It is much harder for a young forward than a young back to make the huge jump from schoolboys to professional football. Webbie, Civo, Price etc - they all spent a lot of time in the lower grades at the start of their careers and it was the best thing for them to ensure they became the best they could be and ultimately the best in the game. Bennett knows this - hence why he never gave DT the NRL game time so many people seemed to think he deserved to get without earning; Henjak learned from the best.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Fozz said:
I'd say Asotasi is a better player at Souths than he was at the Dogs.

Don't know why Jamie Simpson is put up as an example though? He is a centre, and his last game saw him start at hooker. WTF!?!?! Jason Taylor is a myth.

[icon_confu

He came to Broncos as a ball playing lock, so that kills your argument.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ironbroncos
  • mystico
  • sooticus
  • Mustafur
  • Waynesaurus
  • LittleDavey
  • Fozz
  • Jeza23
  • Harry Sack
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.