Taylor gone to Bunnies

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Flutterby said:
When are people going to realise that forwards in general and props in particular need time to develop? Young forwards come along with big reputations from their schooldays and are thrust into the heat of NRL battle too soon and then don't live up to the hype. Why? because they have not had the time invested into them to learn their trade in the lower grades, but rather just thrown in the deep end. It is no conincidence that the best props in the game are generally late 20s through to mid to late 30s. It is much harder for a young forward than a young back to make the huge jump from schoolboys to professional football. Webbie, Civo, Price etc - they all spent a lot of time in the lower grades at the start of their careers and it was the best thing for them to ensure they became the best they could be and ultimately the best in the game. Bennett knows this - hence why he never gave DT the NRL game time so many people seemed to think he deserved to get without earning; Henjak learned from the best.

I agree with these thoughts 100% icon_thumbs_u

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Flutterby said:
When are people going to realise that forwards in general and props in particular need time to develop? Young forwards come along with big reputations from their schooldays and are thrust into the heat of NRL battle too soon and then don't live up to the hype. Why? because they have not had the time invested into them to learn their trade in the lower grades, but rather just thrown in the deep end. It is no conincidence that the best props in the game are generally late 20s through to mid to late 30s. It is much harder for a young forward than a young back to make the huge jump from schoolboys to professional football. Webbie, Civo, Price etc - they all spent a lot of time in the lower grades at the start of their careers and it was the best thing for them to ensure they became the best they could be and ultimately the best in the game. Bennett knows this - hence why he never gave DT the NRL game time so many people seemed to think he deserved to get without earning; Henjak learned from the best.

I agree with what you are saying but Taylor is good enough now to be playing first grade. Sure in 5 years he will be 100 times better so what does that say about how good he will be.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
But is it worth spending $250K a year on the hope he does develop? Given we have guys like Lockyer, Hunt etc that we need to try and re-sign (however in vain) paying overs for a still to prove himself prop is a risk.

Broncos couldn't match that. And if Souths are willing to pay it, and Dave willing to take it, so be it.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think Taylor has had good stints but from what i have seen of him he also tends to go missing at times when the team needs him... and he needs to get over that

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxyz said:
But is it worth spending $250K a year on the hope he does develop? Given we have guys like Lockyer, Hunt etc that we need to try and re-sign (however in vain) paying overs for a still to prove himself prop is a risk.

Broncos couldn't match that. And if Souths are willing to pay it, and Dave willing to take it, so be it.

I think if Taylor was playing first grade at the Broncos he would have stayed regardless of an extra 50k a year. Now when Taylor does develop we can sit back and watch him destroy the Broncos.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Beads6 said:
Coxyz said:

I think if Taylor was playing first grade at the Broncos he would have stayed regardless of an extra 50k a year. Now when Taylor does develop we can sit back and watch him destroy the Broncos.

I think its more like an extra 100k a year. i doubt the Broncos would have offered him more than 150k a year (and FTR, i don't think he is worth more than 150k a year)

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
The game has changed forever. (For a lot of reasons)
No longer do players stay at the broncos for less pay and compounded by the fact clubs offer HUGE money for future prospects and 'over-rated' players. Quinn signed for an estimated 250k a year at the storm, WTF??? I wouldn't pay more than 150 MAX for him. I'm one of the people who think players are overpaid in correspondence to the cap, highest paid should be 400k then work your way downwards. These days mid-range players are payed 300k or so and 350k for DT? No way in hell brother. (Until we use a different system.)

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
So Taylor's going to Souths, looks like he doesn't want to play for QLD or AUS, ever. Have fun.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Get rid of the salary cap. Sure it creates a fairer comp, but clubs barely get to keep quality juniors these days because of it. The whole game has become just a luck thing because of it - recruit well for the year and you can suddenly become a premiership winning side.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
should we possible chase someone like Poore now?

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
At the start of the year I would have said we definately needed to keep him no matter what.

But after seeing his early season play which was solid at best, and seen the excellent form of the likes of Kenny and Clinton and Thaiday and even Josh Maguire for the amount of money he has reportedly commanded I say good luck to him and we will move on.

Yes the kid could still be anything but he has had an opportunity under 2 coaches now and it seems both have had similar issues, so the change of scenary might do him good. Big change for someone with a new bub and still so young hope for Qld's sake he makes it, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Poore's already told the Broncos he's not coming.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Alec said:
Get rid of the salary cap. Sure it creates a fairer comp, but clubs barely get to keep quality juniors these days because of it. The whole game has become just a luck thing because of it - recruit well for the year and you can suddenly become a premiership winning side.

Yeah get rid of the salary cap and we can have a 5 team comp when everyone else goes bust!

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • Dash
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • theshed
  • Manofoneway
  • Lurker
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.