OFFICIAL Te Maire Martin Signs Three Year Deal with the Warriors

On the flip side to that argument though we could give him a decent 2 or 3 year deal and his form could fall off a cliff. Then people will be complaining about that. I think we give out contracts too easily and thats why our cap is a mess. If he isnt prepared to wait after we have given him this lifeline then so be it. I wouldnt even be looking at it for another 5 or 6 games minimum.
TMM on a 2 year $300k deal, offered in 2 or 3 games time is a pretty good gamble to take. I agree with you’re saying but the issue isn’t the hypothetical TMM contract, the issue is the Walters, Turpin, Gamble, Lee, Kennedy, James, Kelly, Roberts, Mead, Periera, Niu, etc contracts we have been chucking around. The 5/10 players who have reached their ceilings and are in most cases are past that 25 year old mark.

As I said, it’s good to have a few of them because you need depth but we seemed to have way too many of those type of deals. Guys like Palasia, Jensen and TMM are a level above and are worth the risk from a money ball perspective.

TMM on a 2 year $300k deal, offered in 2 or 3 games time is a pretty good gamble to take. I agree with you’re saying but the issue isn’t the hypothetical TMM contract, the issue is the Walters, Turpin, Gamble, Lee, Kennedy, James, Kelly, Roberts, Mead, Periera, Niu, etc contracts we have been chucking around. The 5/10 players who have reached their ceilings and are in most cases are past that 25 year old mark.

As I said, it’s good to have a few of them because you need depth but we seemed to have way too many of those type of deals. Guys like Palasia, Jensen and TMM are a level above and are worth the risk from a money ball perspective.
I think James, Kelly, Roberts, Mead, Lee, and Periera were all signed to bring in some older heads to the group. Apart from Alby they were all the type who only made through sheer hard work and that's the sort of effort you want to instill in the younger players of the group. They are all also cut price deals and are reasonable buys to pad out our 30.

Maybe the best option would be flip the tables on recent player deals and offer him a deal for next year, with an option in our favour.

Maybe the best option would be flip the tables on recent player deals and offer him a deal for next year, with an option in our favour.
That’s what I would be hoping for. The 3 year 300k feels like we’ve not been savvy enough.

Yep I'd like a 2 year deal, 2nd year in our favour. So 2023/2024 CO

300 for 3 years avg is excellent. Astute deal - as long he stays injury free.

I'm very confident can be our long term FB solution. So much good stuff there naturally, just a bit of polish and body strength needed. Seems to mesh well with the team also.
seconded.

If he gets the brain issue back, is he allowed to be medically retired if it happens again?

I'm happy with it. A 3 year deal that doesn't break the bank for a bloke who can play two different spine positions is nothing but astute, and if he continues to improve he doesn't even get relegated to depth, he can claim a mortgage on the position of his choice, preferably the 6 because I think we need a bit of speed and physicality at the back more than anything, and Ezra is going to need both some competition for his place in the side and some mentorship, which both Reyno and Martin can provide.

Mam is the only part of this deal that you need to be cautious about and considering recent events the club need to treat this thing VERY delicately. He clearly still has some development to do, but he is no more than 2 years away from debuting in first grade. By year 3 of Martin's new deal Ezra needs to be in the 14 at the very least with Paix or Mozer starting hooker. Absolutely no more than that, otherwise he's gonna walk and all of a sudden we're lamenting another Walsh/Walker like disaster and everyone in the comp is wondering what the **** we're doing.

We have looked much more solid since he came in, I would be down to re-sign him if he maintains this for a couple more games but I'm already heading towards being onboard.

Barring any injuries to Martin we should be shopping Niu out already tbh, i just don't see a future for him here and we can use that money.

We have looked much more solid since he came in, I would be down to re-sign him if he maintains this for a couple more games but I'm already heading towards being onboard.

Barring any injuries to Martin we should be shopping Niu out already tbh, i just don't see a future for him here and we can use that money.

You're a bit trigger happy there regarding Niu, he hasn't been great for us this season and his injuries are becoming a concern but he's still only young.

He also re-signed recently.

You're a bit trigger happy there regarding Niu, he hasn't been great for us this season and his injuries are becoming a concern but he's still only young.

He also re-signed recently.
Would’ve preferred Isaako. At least he can goal kick and play wing.

We should sit down and talk towards the end of the year, not after a couple of games.
We are sort of between a rock and a hard place. If we wait too long, and he tears it up, then other clubs will start sniffing around and we would potentially have a bidding war and have to bump the price up.

We obviously don't want to go too hard too early, but can't wait too long. One hopes he feels a bit of loyalty and gratitude to the Broncos for giving him a shot.

If he gets the brain issue back, is he allowed to be medically retired if it happens again?
Pessimistic as it it, yes concussion related to prior injury would be grounds. Even if he felt a little foggy after a big hit and the doctors expressed concerns he would be an immediate candidate given history.

Pessimistic as it it, yes concussion related to prior injury would be grounds. Even if he felt a little foggy after a big hit and the doctors expressed concerns he would be an immediate candidate given history.
100% this, given the nature of his past concerns, he would definitely be a medical retirement if there was any concerns about the same thing happening again.

Hopefully, for his sake, that never happens. That's a hell of a shit thing to deal with so fingers crossed he stays healthy and turns out to be one of our best budget buys.

It is important to be realistic given the injury history. @BooKhaki asked a legit good question. This is also a reason I would be using club options for maybe the second year but definitely the third.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Redux
  • Harry Sack
  • bazza
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.