Teams for Game II

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What changes would you make to either side?

For me...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. Ben Hannant
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Josh Papalii
15. Brenton Lawrence/Jacob Lillyman/Ben Ross
16. Ben Te'o
17. David Shillington

Would be an idea to tinker with GI and Slater through out, I'd drop GI to fullback not long into the match to take advantage of his brilliant kick returns and give Slater some rest.

Hannant starting for Shillington - I believe Shillo brings more impact off the bench and Hannant compliments Scott nicely as the hard working prop. Considered bringing him back via the bench, but I'm against Harrison being in the side.

Papalii to debut and provide us with some inspiration and intimidation off the bench. I'd also like to see more balance, so let's go with 2 props and 2 backrows. Te'o keeps his place over Gillett and McQueen simply because I see more value in him as a fringe runner.

Sutton in for Reynolds, unfortunately Daley said Reynolds will be kept for game 2.

I thought Hoffman was pretty useless for the Blues. I'd draft Grant into the starting line up, put Bird on the left fringe and push Gallen back to lock.

That would be the only change I'd make.

Agree about Hoffman, every time he had the ball he just about made an error, wouldn't mind if he got dropped.

1- Slater
2- Boyd
3- Inglis
4- Hodges
5- Tate
6- Thurston
7- Cronk (I'm resisting the temptation to put DCE in here)
8- Scott
9- Smith
10-Hannant
11-Myles
12-Thaiday
13-Parker

14-Te'o
15-Gillett
16-Lawrence/Shillington
17-Papalii

Depending on Thurston's health an Cronk's form, DCE has to be on standby.
I believe Gillett has done more than enough to keep his jumper, but Harrison has to go, and Papalii has to come in for McQueen.
Out of loyalty, I'll probably keep Shillo in there, but I think that Lawrence probably deserves it more on this season's form.

Inglis to fullback. Its the only way to get him involved. Tate to centres and slater to wing. Harrison has to go. Parker to start at lock. I am sort of hoping cherry evans gets picked in halves..

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Slater
15. Harrison
16. Papalli
17. Taylor

Alternatively: Slater fullback, G.I. Centre & DCE on the bench.

As much as we don't want to change the team there is clearly a few things that I have noticed since last year. NSW are obviously getting better, and are just waiting to find that right team and make those right combinations. Where as QLD are at our best, and havent really changed much in the past 5 years.

My main concern over the last year has been our pack. Although everyone picked is deserving I just don't think the makeup of it is as effective as it could be, likewise with the bench rotations.

Harrison looks to be the one to miss out for me. He doesn't quite offer enough, especially when you have Thaiday and Myles in the back row with him, there isn't really enough punch there.

Parker has been great in the last year for QLD and had a good game and is clearly up to origin level so put him in at lock.

If Hannant is back bring him straight in for Gillett/Te'o/McQueen, probably McQueen, always stands up in origin and we need another big bopper, NSW's pack scares me and we need to match it. I'd be considering Papali and Taylor on the bench too.

Next big thing for me is getting Inglis more involved at fullback and in kick returns. Hayne was hard to tackle returning the ball where as none of our back three really make much of a dent in the line.

1.Slater
2.Boyd
3.Inglis (dropping back every now and then to fullback)
4.Hodgo
5.Tate
6.JT
7.Cronk
8.Scott
9.Smith
10.Shillo
11.Myles
12.Thaiday
13.Parker

14.Gillett
15.Te'o
16.Hannant
17.McQueen/Taylor/Papali
18.DCE

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. We need to up the tempo and get back to basics, the forwards is the real area which needs work.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Papalii (Bring him on to silence Gallen. We need to counter their enforcer, we don't have anyone to do that at the moment)
15. Shillington
16. Gillett
17. ??? Someone in form and useful

Our forwards got rolled. Harrison needs to go, we need tougher and bigger blokes off the bench and at least one front rower ffs. It's such a shame Dave Taylor has the heart of a flea 'cause he could come in very handy otherwise.

Regarding our attack, I don't think it was quite as bad as people are making out but our halves were very average. Cronk didn't do much good and Thurston was clearly nowhere near up to scratch. They will be better in game 2. I think Slater needs to retain his position at fullback but we need to get Inglis running it back intermittently, that being said he needs to be getting more ball in general.

Apart from that just work on maintaining discipline and urgency, both offensively and defensively and the rest should take care of itself. We still have the edge on paper

1. Inglis (best player in the world atm and playing out of position.. its just stupid. slater isnt in form either)
2. Boyd
3. Tate (another player playing out of position just so slater can hold onto his spot.)
4. Hodges
5. Slater (1 player out of position as opposed to 2, makes sense)
6. Thurston
7. Cronk (please find some form)
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Shillington
15. Lawrence
16. Papalii
17. Teo / McQueen

Gillett is a passenger. He needs to be dropped. Harrison is past his use by date and is just too slow now. Parker is the same player but has an offload and attack. We lacked size and aggression off the bench, papalii and lawrence bring that

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. Ben Hannant
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Josh Papalii
15. Daly Cherry-Evans
16. Ben Te'o
17. David Shillington

I know people see having a bench half as a waste, but with 4 forwards they don't get a lot of minutes anyway. Papalii and Te'o for the back row, Shillington and Myles can rotate into the middle to relieve Hannant and Scott.

Cronk and Thurston were so off last night, especially with the kicking game. DCE is also deceptively strong running the ball and he could add something coming off the bench.

1. Inglis
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (seriously, he needs MORE minutes and bye bye Harrison)

14. Shillo
15. Papalli (bye bye McQueen)
16. Te'o
17. Gillett

I would probably keep the same side (as Mal will) but if we lose Game 2,I would give Thaiday, Harrison and Tate their walking papers and start planning for the future.

1. Slater
2. Barba
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Shillington
15. Taylor
16. Papalli
17. Teo/McQueen/Guerra

I think Qld lacked a bit of size/aggression/initimdation hence Taylor getting a recall as well as Papalli on the bench.
Harrissons time is up and Gillett misses out for now.

Barba on the wing replacing Boyd to add a bit more spark on kick returns and set plays. Boyd is solid i guess but i really dont think he strikes fear into the NSW side when he has the ball.

I would probably keep the same side (as Mal will) but if we lose Game 2,I would give Thaiday, Harrison and Tate their walking papers and start planning for the future.

Anyone wanted tate dropped clearly doesnt watch the little things he does. He is the most determined player on the field for us and NEVER lets us down. He chased down so many breaks last night

Anyone wanted tate dropped clearly doesnt watch the little things he does. He is the most determined player on the field for us and NEVER lets us down. He chased down so many breaks last night

Well said. Tate is a living, breathing epitome of the Queensland spirit. Quite a few of the players need to learn from him.

Really, really disappointed in Slater and Cronk. I said in the lead up their form in the NRL was a worry, and it proved true. Apart from that break he made, Slater was completely non-threatening, and Cronk was just all over the shop.

I wouldn't make any changes to the Blues only if they are forced changes.

Unread

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • Mustafur
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  • Spike
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.