Teen giant Payne Haas makes big impression at Broncos pre-season training

I'm not blaming the players for taking the cash. They have limited time in their career to actually make a decent earning.

My issue is the clubs that come in and throw massive coin at a guy based purely on potential. It doesn't allow the player the time to develop and realise where they stand in the competition. Instead, it seems, their manager talks them up like they're worth $1m a season and they get heaped with a ton of pressure to perform.

They may dominate under 20's when they're up against kids but it is too much pressure to throw on a young kid and if they take the cash and don't perform like a milion dollar prospect they get thrown out like yesterdays garbage.

I mentioned jnik as more of a precautionary warning to young players of what may come if you choose to take the cash before establishing yourself as a player. If you're intention is to earn a quick buck and then move into the working class then good work on spending your entire schooling life on grabbing that 3yr contract.

There are far too many examples of guys who take the cash from a shit team and get thrown away before their time. The 20's comp was treated by clubs as THE reserve grade comp. Imagine being 21 and not cracking first grade. You might feel like your career is over potentially your life is over.

They heap so much pressure on young guys to perform instantly ever since the 20's came in vogue instead of the tried and true from the previous 100yrs where a player would make their way through the grades and earn a position.

My worry is a team will throw cash at our high potential juniors coming through and they will take it, because their manager is worried they're not getting enough minutes or "air" time on TV to raise their stocks.... and then they don't become a superstar at their NEW team so they move on and start looking for the next superstar

so exactly what we did with payne hass, you will find that we didnt develop him but poached him from another club.

so exactly what we did with payne hass, you will find that we didnt develop him but poached him from another club.

I don’t think you quite got his point..

Tell me how isn’t a young man of Haas build need time to develop.
This might not necessarily apply to Haas, but a lot of young huge forwards who come into the NRL tend start fast and then die off after a few years. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm guessing they never develop their game because they think they'll always be an automatic success. There are exceptions, but it often happens this way. I hope Bennett can guide Haas to continue to develop his game, even if he is already dominating in the younger leagues.

I agree but the issue with the game today is all it would take is a team to come in and throw cash and a starting spot at a young guy who isn't getting a gig in first grade and they'll be gone.

Loyalty is just about dead especially when it comes to the young guys coming through, they have managers in their ears telling them how much they could earn... just look at jnik
Na
I call bullshit

This might not necessarily apply to Haas, but a lot of young huge forwards who come into the NRL tend start fast and then die off after a few years. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm guessing they never develop their game because they think they'll always be an automatic success. There are exceptions, but it often happens this way. I hope Bennett can guide Haas to continue to develop his game, even if he is already dominating in the younger leagues.

There is a reason for this.

The mentality in the modern game of a forward player is for push and heavy. Its only later in their careers (or if they are an exceptional early athlete) that they develop the finer parts of their game in a bid to extend their bodys lifespan in the game. it gets into a cycle.

EG: Sam Thaiday - early career, running barging solid hitting. Mid career body starts to scream - late career starts running fringes and picks and chose with injection into the game. Early days he was the muscle, now somebody else is the muscle. If Sam sustained a couple of heavy knee or back injuries his career would have been over 5 years ago (waiting for the jokes). Its the unfortunate situation where they come into the team to fill a role as they are young and talented but never get to truly develop their talent.

As you can probably tell from my username, I'm a fan. Have been since I seen him play via the live stream for Australia vs England school boys last year (think the commentary on ch 9 is average, it was woeful during this).

The kid was a stand out, what was surprising, was the speed and skill, he had for such a big kid. To have that, along with his size and power, was something else, NFL scouts were looking at him for a reason.

No need to rush him, no hardened mature muscle there yet, but jeez, there will be. Great head start also from being part of Keebra Park. I'd be more than happy not to see him start first grade until 2019, or even 2020 and gain confidence playing against men for the next season or 2, even then, for a player with that power and potential, will be very young.

Hard part will be for him to contain his ego, so am very glad he is at the broncos where that should be kept in check, he had the chance to go elsewhere for bigger money, but he has already started playing the long haul, rather than short term riches, so he has a good head on him, for now anyways. Just hope the bait he will receive before his really for first grade will not be too tempting to leave the Broncos.

I, for one, am really looking forward to Payne Hass being a huge pain in the ass for opposition teams, just would prefer its not in 2018.

Check out the footage of him at 11 y/o on youtube, doing shot put, don't think anyone in my high school done it that far. Perspective on the distance hits home when the next competitor in the vid takes his attempt lol

This guy along with David Fifita have big futures! Hopefully the club can figure out a way to hang on to them both... How's the speed and skills on this bloke! How big is he too!! Awesome.

Hopefully he turns into the real deal and won't turn into a flop.

Most do and go nowhere.

This is why he needs to be eased into his first grade. He needs to be developed more before he can be given a role.

I was meaning better go forward, Blair and Sims provided sweet **** all. SMH

You can go forward all you like but it doesnt mean shit if your defence isnt up to scratch in the middle. Other teams will just go straight thru you. Hate on Blair and Sims all you want, they hold their own up the middle against the better forwards in the comp which is when they are defending most times

You can go forward all you like but it doesnt mean shit if your defence isnt up to scratch in the middle. Other teams will just go straight thru you. Hate on Blair and Sims all you want, they hold their own up the middle against the better forwards in the comp which is when they are defending most times
You ever watched Matt lodge play? There's a reason why Wayne said he is starting next year. Adam Blair was good in 2015 but IMO he was utter shit in 2017.

You ever watched Matt lodge play? There's a reason why Wayne said he is starting next year. Adam Blair was good in 2015 but IMO he was utter shit in 2017.

I completely agree. When Moose went down in 2015, Blair was absolutely immense. Then Moose returned and for some reason Blair went back to being a powder puff, I really don't understand why.

I have said for quite a while I don't think we will miss Blair much, by the end of 2017, he was well and truly back in Tiger-Blair mode. He has signed the big contract, now he is the Warriors problem.

We have Sims who can do the exact same role just as well without all the niggly rubbish that Blair kept getting a worse reputation (and hence penalties) for. The other thing is, Sims CAN attack as well, it is just a massive question of whether he can (or wants to) do that consistently or not.

To be fair to both sims and Blair, they were both out with extended injuries that hampered last season. Sims especially. I'm sure they played games nowhere near fit. That said, this year is a new one and you'd expect Sims to be hitting top gear his first game back (how many minutes he plays is another matter). We are blessed with some good front row options this year and I wouldn't discount Offa in that mix. If he shows some more creativity, with a little second phase play, he'll be right up there.
I'd also give lodge a little slack to work his way into the team. Everybody takes a little while to gel in a new squad, no matter how much of the offseason and preseason they've trained with them. He'll still be in the run-on squad but we need to dampen our expectations, at least for the first couple of games while he finds his feet (offloads astray, the occasional missed tackle etc.).

Haas will be a big part of our 2019,2020,2021 premiership hat trick

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • bert_lifts
  • RolledOates
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • GCBRONCO
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • broncotville
  • Old Mate
  • the_next
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.