Tesi Niu Discussion

This has all the hallmarks of an epic romance.

You’re a hero mate.

You actually just derail the conversation and destroy the thread.

Get your facts right next time. You just don't like being corrected. Seriously, just put me in ignore if you can't handle it.

Now stop stalking me. It's creepy.

Last edited:
I think TPJ is serving his suspension.
I may be wrong but I thought this would be the first game he's eligible for?

He missed 4 Broncos games and he's already missed one Test for Tonga last week so that should be his 5 games served.

Last edited:
Nui is an interesting one, I wasn't too impressed this year until the last two months when he was moved to fullback. Against the Jets he got them back in the game by being on the ball. They started terribly and were behind but then he showed a lot of smarts to get them moving again. He came from the far right to the left to score his try.

Jets was his best game all year.

Queensland U18 he scored two tries, he got in some trouble with the intercept nearly getting run down by a prop and he was spoken to about that- just get over the line.

More impressive was his reaction for the Walsh try, he got the ball and created space for his team and moved it on.

Second try was skip to the outside and just burn the other centre, he just destroyed them with quick reaction.

Under 20 Origin his defence impressed me, didn't miss a tackle amongst the carnage of 36-10.

Take home message for me was he got better as the season went on and was better at fullback than centre and didn't drop his head in two awful teams Souths and Queensland 20's.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Must admit I find it odd you can call an 18 year old a junior but there you go, 16 makes a bit more sense. I do think there is a bit of confusion about the junior system and the development system at an NRL club for young guys in some respects. The junior clubs deserve a bit more recognition than I feel they get. Just because you may end up in the Broncos system doesnt mean Brisbane should get all the credit.

I wholeheartedly agree. I actually think the major of fans would agree too. I think it would really add to people's interest and engagement with the game if we were made more aware of players junior club origins in a more easily accessible and prominent way. Rugby League loves tribalism and it would be brilliant to watch two guys from the same junior club go up against one another and to have people buy into that excitement way more than they do currently.

It's been on my mind for quite a while as I'm pretty passionate about it, just curious what other people think about how the NRL might achieve this?

The AFL has a draft, as do most American sports, so a player's VFL or WAFL club heritage, or their college and high school credentials are a far bigger part of their profile when they come into the major leagues, but the NRL doesn't have a draft so I guess that makes it somewhat harder for them.

Would something small on their individual jerseys work? Could we make it part of the broadcast coverage similar to how Channel 9 had the Origin players name their junior club as part of their team list being read out before the game?

The NRL would be nothing without its grassroots clubs who churn out the talent that sustains the clubs and the game itself and it would be brilliant to see them more prominently recognised for their sizeable contributions.

Last edited:
Goodness me, what has happened to Hurrell? Did he literally eat a horse?

Actually you know what, there is just the slightest bit of K.Hunt about Niu as well, just a hint but it is there.
Thought the same re Khunt similarity

I wholeheartedly agree. I actually think the major of fans would agree too. I think it would really add to people's interest and engagement with the game if we were made more aware of players junior club origins in a more easily accessible and prominent way. Rugby League loves tribalism and it would be brilliant to watch two guys from the same junior club go up against one another and to have people buy into that excitement way more than they do currently.

It's been on my mind for quite a while as I'm pretty passionate about it, just curious what other people think about how the NRL might achieve this?

The AFL has a draft, as do most American sports, so a player's VFL or WAFL club heritage, or their college and high school credentials are a far bigger part of their profile when they come into the major leagues, but the NRL doesn't have a draft so I guess that makes it somewhat harder for them.

Would something small on their individual jerseys work? Could we make it part of the broadcast coverage similar to how Channel 9 had the Origin players name their junior club as part of their team list being read out before the game?

The NRL would be nothing without its grassroots clubs who churn out the talent that sustains the clubs and the game itself and it would be brilliant to see them more prominently recognised for their sizeable contributions.
Didn't wests tigers do a thing where they wore the socks from their junior club in one of the rounds. Why not have a whole round devoted to junior clubs.. the nrl have a lot of themed rounds.. why not one that recognises junior football

I may be wrong but I thought this would be the first game he's eligible for?

He missed 4 Broncos games and he's already missed one Test for Tonga last week so that should be his 5 games served.

Yeah he is eligible for this game. His suspension is over.

That Tongan forward pack belted the Lions, Aussies have their work cut out and they will wake up very sore the next day.

Yeah he is eligible for this game. His suspension is over.
Is it? How do they determine that he would have been picked for the last test match?
[automerge]1572398878[/automerge]
Thought the same re Khunt similarity
I admit I haven't seen a lot of Niu only 5 or 6 matches but from what I have seen I like his support play. Something I think we really lack. One thing we have missed since Hunt left.

Last edited:
Is it? How do they determine that he would have been picked for the last test match?

You could say the same about club games.

He would have been available for selection if he wasn't suspended, so it counted towards his suspension.

Brisbane require higher quality players, they can't just fill their squad up with off-cuts and hope to improve. Especially if they come at the expense of better home grown prospects.

Tualau and Petterson-Robati are supposedly both on train and trial deals as well.
I think we need off-cuts to balance our squad. But I agree the problem is our top tier players are not top tier across the competition.

If we can't move Boyd, Macca, Boyd or Gillett (Retirement) then maybe we have to move Offa. to secure croft etc. I'd prefer not to move Offa but it might be what has to be done. Macca to UK is probably the only real chance of moving him and Gillet's best chance to be moved is retirement.
[automerge]1572399302[/automerge]
You could say the same about club games.

He would have been available for selection if he wasn't suspended, so it counted towards his suspension.
Cool. My mind went back to the TBA Origin thing.

Last edited:
I think we need off-cuts to balance our squad. But I agree the problem is our top tier players are not top tier across the competition.

If we can't move Boyd, Macca, Boyd or Gillett (Retirement) then maybe we have to move Offa. to secure croft etc. I'd prefer not to move Offa but it might be what has to be done. Macca to UK is probably the only real chance of moving him and Gillet's best chance to be moved is retirement.
[automerge]1572399302[/automerge]

Offa was just re-signed. He isn't going anywhere.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • The True King
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MasterWright
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.