That was the biggest rort in Origin history

I love how you guys just automatically disagree with AP haha. Its a well known fact thurston was the main ball handler in the maroons side over the last few years, and lockyer (and qld) benefited from that. he got to pick his moments to chime in and it worked wonderfully. Just on the weekend thurston was interviewed and said he needs to learn to take a back seat, let cronk control the game, and he can then just chime in much like lockyer did when thurston was the main handler.

I wasnt disagreeing with him, was just seeking a bit of clarification. I don't think that just because you have the ball in your hands just means you are the one in control. Lockyer's work off the ball was a huge factor in our success. Just as much as Thurston's with ball in hand IMO.

We would've won last week if Lockyer was playing - he just gives any team he plays in this unbelievable sense of confidence like nobody I've ever seen. Even if he's having a relatively quiet game. I just didn't feel that with Thurston and Cronk last week.

Last edited:
I wasnt disagreeing with him, was just seeking a bit of clarification. I don't think that just because you have the ball in your hands just means you are the one in control. Lockyer's work off the ball was a huge factor in our success. Just as much as Thurston's with ball in hand IMO.

We would've won last week if Lockyer was playing - he just gives any team he plays in this unbelievable sense of confidence like nobody I've ever seen. Even if he's having a relatively quiet game. I just didn't feel that with Thurston and Cronk last week.

This. The fact that there seemed to be so little on for them when they had the ball, and so often the player they wanted was heavily marked or flat footed, suggests to me that there was very little organisation of the guys off the ball. That's what Locky did so well. He got guys into position, running the right lines and knowing what play was on.

Cronk and Thurston, and to a lesser extent Smith, failed in that in both game 1 and 2 to be honest.

I think JT is more an off the cuff player. Look at him against the Broncos on Friday night. He never put on any great plays because I don't think the players outside had any idea what to do. The tries he put on were from a nice inside ball to Bowen (Also an instinctive player) and when the Broncos were completely shot on the left.

This isn't a criticism of JT, but either he needs to do more organisation off the ball or he needs to get back into first receiver and let Cronk do that. Someone has to.

Just win ffs

Get locky into camp and do some Jedi mind tricks on Cronk and JT

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.