The “I forgot he played for us” Thread

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This thread is to discuss those weird signings that seem to come out of nowhere, amount to nothing, and fade away from memory, then years later you stumble across a old team list or highlight video and think “oh yeah, I forgot that guy played for us. I thought that was a weird dream”.

Benji Marshall is a big one for me. One of the games biggest stars who had a late career resurgence but not for us. Played 13 games overweight and never really made a mark. I know he played for us but I can’t remember a single moment.

"I had nowhere to go so I called him and he just said, 'come to Brisbane'. He talked to me about just enjoying the game again, which I had lost. I've just been trying to do that ever since."[77]” Benji on Wayne

Shaun Fensom was an honest toiler who became a superstar purely through Super Coach. Made his way to Brisbane in 2019 and managed 2 games apparently. I’ll have to take Wikipedia’s word for it because fucked if I remember them.

John Asiata was another fever dream. Played a 10 not much doing games before refusing to take the jab. Everyone laughed about how we hope he enjoys brick laying because he’ll never play again in this forever lock down world only for everything to return to normal 3 months later and he get a job in the super league

Anthony "Fuckhead" Mundine......I honestly can't remember him running out in a Broncos jersey.

In googling the name of the player I wanted to mention (because I couldn't remember it), I stumbled upon Nathan Friend. I completely forgot he was with us tbh.

James Gavet. Played one game for us, got suspended and managed to give himself a season ending injury at training while serving his suspension. Left us before returning from injury.

Motu Tony our star fullback signing that played a couple of games at hooker, IIRC.

Wasn't he 'homesick' the moment he signed with us, then fucked off to England?

Brodie Croft. Except it's not "I forgot he played for us" it's "I choose not to remember he played for us"

Motu Tony our star fullback signing that played a couple of games at hooker, IIRC.
Good call out but pretty sure he was wing/fullback for his few starts, don’t remember him at hooker.

A few for me are Chris McKenna, Ash Taylor, Robbie Ross, and Tom Learoyd-Lars

Benji Marshall is a big one for me. One of the games biggest stars who had a late career resurgence but not for us. Played 13 games overweight and never really made a mark. I know he played for us but I can’t remember a single moment.
Benny Barber is like this for me as well.

Brett Green. Totally forgot about him. Nobody in this group would recognise the name (except for 1910).

Benji's resurgence began at the Broncos. He was considered washed up at the end of 2016 and Bennett brought him into play a super-sub role. So he'd come on late in games and help steer the ship for Milford/Nikorima. When Damien Cook injured Milford's shoulder with a cheap push in the back off the ball, it was Marshall who filled in and he produced a man of the match performance against Canberra in Canberra to get them home.

He was the halfback for the Broncos during the finals when Hunt moved to 9. He actually pretty well and the Broncos nearly pulled off a spectacular comeback win over the Roosters off the back of his kicking game.

Benji's resurgence began at the Broncos. He was considered washed up at the end of 2016 and Bennett brought him into play a super-sub role. So he'd come on late in games and help steer the ship for Milford/Nikorima. When Damien Cook injured Milford's shoulder with a cheap push in the back off the ball, it was Marshall who filled in and he produced a man of the match performance against Canberra in Canberra to get them home.

He was the halfback for the Broncos during the finals when Hunt moved to 9. He actually pretty well and the Broncos nearly pulled off a spectacular comeback win over the Roosters off the back of his kicking game.

Really wish we kept him another year before he finished up back home.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • mieko
  • sooticus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Turks85
  • Galah
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.