The 10 metre dropout rule that fucked Kahu

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
After having the evening and day to cool off after the loss, I am still utterly perplexed as to how and why Kahu is, by virtue of the rules as we all know, not allowed to pick the ball up IF, the Dogs kick a terrible attempt at a short dropout where the ball is very clearly not going to travel 10 metres OR go out over touch, and yet no Dogs player was making any attempt to pick the ball up because they know THEY will be penalized.

So I ask again, if they aren't going to pick it up, what was Kahu supposed to do? Stand there staring at it? Giving stupid looking hand signals to Chechin asking him wtf to do until he decides to blow a penalty for us? WHAT? I realize the NRL and especially the refs generally don't have a clue how to handle grey areas in the game, but that shit last night was farcical, and if I see another team attempt to pull the same shit as the Dogs and get penalized, I will be more than annoyed.

After having the evening and day to cool off after the loss, I am still utterly perplexed as to how and why Kahu is, by virtue of the rules as we all know, not allowed to pick the ball up IF, the Dogs kick a terrible attempt at a short dropout where the ball is very clearly not going to travel 10 metres OR go out over touch, and yet no Dogs player was making any attempt to pick the ball up because they know THEY will be penalized.

So I ask again, if they aren't going to pick it up, what was Kahu supposed to do? Stand there staring at it? Giving stupid looking hand signals to Chechin asking him wtf to do until he decides to blow a penalty for us? WHAT? I realize the NRL and especially the refs generally don't have a clue how to handle grey areas in the game, but that shit last night was farcical, and if I see another team attempt to pull the same shit as the Dogs and get penalized, I will be more than annoyed.

Lol come off it. The dogs weren't trying to make him pick it up or deliberately try and kick it short of the 10. That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. Abbey was shaking his head at his drop kick. Hell I don't even think he realised the rule. I would have been laughing if I was him. It has been around for a thousand years. He could have waited for the ball to stop and the ref to penalise the dogs then he could have picked it up. It's not hard learn the rule. 10 year olds know that rule

someone mentioned kahu being inside the 10 when the ball was kicked, not sure haven't seen a replay of it?

in any case it's a dumb play by kahu but there was no way that ball was going 10, if a side can be penalised for not making the 10, why cant they play advantage, why is the attacking team penalised for the error?

The ref can't do anything until a player touches it or the ball is stationery. Kahu touched it before it had finished rolling around. It's irrelevant that it was never going to make 10 metres. Stupid play that shifted momentum. Although, with the two dropouts the Dogs kicked both handing them back possession, maybe it's better if our halves don't kick for repeat sets...

The ref can't do anything until a player touches it or the ball is stationery. Kahu touched it before it had finished rolling around. It's irrelevant that it was never going to make 10 metres. Stupid play that shifted momentum. Although, with the two dropouts the Dogs kicked both handing them back possession, maybe it's better if our halves don't kick for repeat sets...
Exactly right. I can't believe all of the outrage. The rule is there for a reason, I'm not sure people are thinking about the scenario rationally but it has to go 10.

If the dogs can't touch and we can it's not a contest cause they can't play at the ball. We could just stand there for 20 seconds if we wanted to.

I assume the rule is there to stop players trying to prevent the ball going 10m in the event of a short kick off/dropout.

To be honest, I was screaming at Kahu to pick the ball up and score, I didn't know it was a rule either. But in my defence, I am not payed to play rugby league.

The 15 or so mangoes and head knocks playing in the rain probably didn't help either me either, but that's beside the point.

I gotta admit, I forgot about that rule at the time.

Still, I'm not a professional NRL player, so that was absolutely fucked from Kahu. That, paired with his abysmal running game and working the ball out just made me lose a shitload of respect for him.

It's a pretty simple rule honestly. You wait till the ball stops, and you get the penalty. I'm surprised Kahu didn't know better, but I'm not going to go on about it, it's a simple brain fart and his natural instinct was to pick up the loose ball and score.

You cant change a rule that's been there for a long time because someone forgot about it.

He had to charge past a line of our players waiting on the 10m line. He must have been thinking why aren't these idiots grabbing it and scoring tries.

I gotta admit, I forgot about that rule at the time.

Still, I'm not a professional NRL player, so that was absolutely fucked from Kahu. That, paired with his abysmal running game and working the ball out just made me lose a shitload of respect for him.
Yeah . I was laughing and celebrating the try. I've Never seen that happen before.

Are you legit serious?

You cant change a rule that's been there for a long time because someone forgot about it.
You can change it because it's fucking retarded though.

I never played league and I've never seen it happen in a game before so I didn't know the rule. It's up there with the most ridiculous rules in any game I have ever seen.

Kahu should have known though.

You can change it because it's fucking retarded though.

I never played league and I've never seen it happen in a game before so I didn't know the rule. It's up there with the most ridiculous rules in any game I have ever seen.

Kahu should have known though.

What would you change the rule to?

Am just curious because I think it should be left as is.

Active Now

• Redux
  • porouian
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.