NEWS The alarming decline of Milford's biggest weapon

heartly87

QCup Player
Question. Did Milford actually get worse under Wayne. His first year with us in 2015 he was electric. The only thing i can think improved was his kicking game.

Do you think he was curtailed or is it just Hunt had a poor 16 , 17 and Knick was just not up to it in 18 and this hurt Milfs game.

I am interested to find out if under Seibs Milfs running and off the cuff passing game returns.

Kyall

NRL Player
Question. Did Milford actually get worse under Wayne. His first year with us in 2015 he was electric. The only thing i can think improved was his kicking game.

Do you think he was curtailed or is it just Hunt had a poor 16 , 17 and Knick was just not up to it in 18 and this hurt Milfs game.

I am interested to find out if under Seibs Milfs running and off the cuff passing game returns.
Rabbits attacking play come off fast explosive movements and I believe that will only work to Milford’s advantage. Seibold only needs to get Milford back into shape and fit.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

I don't think Milford got worse. It depends on how you look at it.

You could say he got worse because his running game wasn't as good as it was in 2015. But then again, Milford has also made really good improvements in other areas such as his playmaking, his organizing, his defence and his kicking. I'm not saying he has mastered all of those and still has a lot of work to do, but he is improving.

We needed a half like that and it was on Milford to become that half because we clearly weren't signing one.

Alec

International Rep
He got significantly better in in kicking, tiny bit better in some other areas, significantly worse in running. Personally, I would have preferred he was still a superb runner like before, Kodi beats him in this area quite easily now. You don't take a weight lifter and go - "I'm going to turn you into a chess maestro". He could continue to improve his passing game and organising game, but it probably won't be particularly good until he's in his early 30s IMO.

theshed

NRL Player
He got significantly better in in kicking, tiny bit better in some other areas, significantly worse in running. Personally, I would have preferred he was still a superb runner like before, Kodi beats him in this area quite easily now. You don't take a weight lifter and go - "I'm going to turn you into a chess maestro". He could continue to improve his passing game and organising game, but it probably won't be particularly good until he's in his early 30s IMO.
No, you don't get a weight lifter and turn them into a chess maestro if the goal is to life as much weight as possible. But this analogy falls apart because no player can exist for long on having a single skill. If the goal was to lift weight, be good at chess, and whole complex list of other skills, then yes, you would teach your weightlifter how to be better at chess.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
First it was, "Milford needs to be the chief playmaker and work on his game management if he's on a Mil a year, plus his kicking game is shite"
Now its
"why is he becoming an organiser and kicker when he was better at running"

Can't win with you lot

Alec

International Rep
First it was, "Milford needs to be the chief playmaker and work on his game management if he's on a Mil a year, plus his kicking game is shite"
Now its

Can't win with you lot
I've always said the latter, minus becoming the organising part - he might get there at 30+.

heartly87

QCup Player
Now its

Can't win with you lot
Mate I am actually a huge Milf fan, he is my favourite Bronco after Jimmy. But one can look at 15 and the more recent years and see a change. I am more asking if Waynes direction was beneficial to him as a player or if not having confident 7's had an impact on the aspect of his game thats his biggest asset. Milf is one of our best attacking weapons and I would love to see him firing with that blistering footwork and just freak off the cuff passing/running game. His kicking was excellent last year and his defence now I think about it has definitely improved. The running game has and did suffer in comparison to his earlier years both as a Bronco and a Raider.

One of my biggest hopes with Seibs is he can help Milf to unlock or put all the pieces together to reach his potential. I truly believe he could be an all time great with the right balance and self belief.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
Now its

Can't win with you lot
When Munster, who is far more limited than Milford despite the hype, is getting close to a mil then I reckon Milf is worth every cent we pay him. Not to mention horrors like Taylor and Hunt on over a mil.

something

NYC Player
One of my biggest hopes with Seibs is he can help Milf to unlock or put all the pieces together to reach his potential. I truly believe he could be an all time great with the right balance and self belief.
I agree, I think Milf has the highest potential of anyone in the NRL. Would be the best player in the game if he were to reach it

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
But guys, he's been working on his kicking game AND his game management skills and now he has both. Plus he still has his ability to run the ball. I think Milford will be the biggest improver over the NRL next year under seibold. And macca will start doing a lot more kicking as we know he's good at it, and doesn't have the speed. Seibold will see his strengths and weaknesses and get him to incorporate those into his game style

heartly87

QCup Player
But guys, he's been working on his kicking game AND his game management skills and now he has both. Plus he still has his ability to run the ball. I think Milford will be the biggest improver over the NRL next year under seibold. And macca will start doing a lot more kicking as we know he's good at it, and doesn't have the speed. Seibold will see his strengths and weaknesses and get him to incorporate those into his game style
Thats exactly my hope.

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Why is it that you guys assume that his running game suffered when he learnt to kick? Did he get his legs modified? Also remember JT started as an excellent runner then learnt to kick and organise. As Milf gets too old to step like that his other skills will keep him employed.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Do we know that milf's running game has "deteriorated" or has it been curtailed by the game plan??

Milf's running game relies on being close to the ball and playing off the back of second phase play... the current game plan was conservative with instructions to put away the offload so no second phase available to him.

We also played with split halves who appeared to always be standing at second receiver... difficult to exploit the ruck when you are receiving the ball from middle forwards two passes wide.

I would absolutely love to see milf and kodi playing first receiver on either side of the ruck. There are so many times when Macca attempts to run out of dummy half but he is a lone hand with nowhere near enough pace to exploit it and inevitably gets tackled meekly.

Imagine milf and kodi standing either side of macca through the ruck when a quick play the ball occurs.

Both halves also have the speed to switch to either side of the ruck when they want both halves linking up on sweeps, etc.

The whole offensive game plan needs an overhaul.

Dee

QCup Player
Sydney
Do we know that milf's running game has "deteriorated" or has it been curtailed by the game plan??

Milf's running game relies on being close to the ball and playing off the back of second phase play... the current game plan was conservative with instructions to put away the offload so no second phase available to him.

We also played with split halves who appeared to always be standing at second receiver... difficult to exploit the ruck when you are receiving the ball from middle forwards two passes wide.

I would absolutely love to see milf and kodi playing first receiver on either side of the ruck. There are so many times when Macca attempts to run out of dummy half but he is a lone hand with nowhere near enough pace to exploit it and inevitably gets tackled meekly.

Imagine milf and kodi standing either side of macca through the ruck when a quick play the ball occurs.

Both halves also have the speed to switch to either side of the ruck when they want both halves linking up on sweeps, etc.

Trust me, our offense is fine. It's our defence that needs some serious work and I don't necessarily mean tackle technique or positioning, although these things can be better as well.

What we need as a squad is an attitude adjustment. They need to WANT to defend exceptionally well. Look at the Roosters, their entire philosophy and game plan is all about defence. We need that. I'm not worried about scoring points as we have a few attacking weapons who can break the game wide open for us. I believe if we suffocate and frustrate teams out of games with brick wall defense, then the attack will come naturally off the back of the oppositions frustration, they will give up and we'll get them.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Trust me, our offense is fine. It's our defence that needs some serious work and I don't necessarily mean tackle technique or positioning, although these things can be better as well.

What we need as a squad is an attitude adjustment. They need to WANT to defend exceptionally well. Look at the Roosters, their entire philosophy and game plan is all about defence. We need that. I'm not worried about scoring points as we have a few attacking weapons who can break the game wide open for us. I believe if we suffocate and frustrate teams out of games with brick wall defense, then the attack will come naturally off the back of the oppositions frustration, they will give up and we'll get them.
I was attempting to indicate how the current offense isn't really geared towards Milf or Kodi, and how that gives the impression that Milf's running game has declined.

I think a change in offensive tactics would ease the pressure on Milf and Kodi and would help them in the future and also allows them to go cruise control for the easier games.

At present they are having to rely on winning games in a structure that forces them to work against their natural tendencies. Gearing it back towards their natural running games would make them more comfortable with executing a game plan and should improve results against lesser teams.

How many times were we saying they should blow this team out only to see them struggle. Having to score points in a fashion that's not suited to them creates pressure on them if that style of play isn't working on the day. It then becomes hard for them to recognize what the issue is, why it's not working and how to fix it on the field, because it's not their normal game

To me it's why we looked stale in attack, we seemingly implemented the same game plan for every match with mixed results and the halves weren't capable of fixing the plan on the run when it wasn't working so they just kept going with it until the clock ran out or until the game was too far gone.

john1420

NRL Player

Hopefully this is something AS will bring

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter