The Ashes 2013/14

Same way players can be good Qld Cup players but not NRL players.

Hughes has huge technical flaws which he has tried to correct and at times can but largely can't.

His back foot still moves away from the line of the ball towards leg stump. He still can't help trying to make room to drive.

I've watched him live once this summer for Shield and he still does it. I am convinced people wanting him in the Test side are either ignoring the flaws or just going by scores.
I hear you . But what I'm asking is why is he not exposed at shield level with the huge flaws that everyone knows about. It's not like the bowlers cannot work to a plan. What I'm saying is that he has the confidence at 1st class level that he doesn't have at test level.

Same way players can be good Qld Cup players but not NRL players.

Hughes has huge technical flaws which he has tried to correct and at times can but largely can't.

His back foot still moves away from the line of the ball towards leg stump. He still can't help trying to make room to drive.

I've watched him live once this summer for Shield and he still does it. I am convinced people wanting him in the Test side are either ignoring the flaws or just going by scores.
I hear you . But what I'm asking is why is he not found out at shield level with these huge technical flaws. It's not like the bowlers there can't work to a plan. I think he has a confidence at the 1st class level which he has not achieved at test level yet. I don't think we've seen the last of him.

I hear you . But what I'm asking is why is he not exposed at shield level with the huge flaws that everyone knows about. It's not like the bowlers cannot work to a plan. What I'm saying is that he has the confidence at 1st class level that he doesn't have at test level.

Several reasons. Shield cricket has greatly declined over the last 5 years, lesser players to stick to plans or even expose.

We prepare very batsman friendly pitches now, we manufacture players that can play funky 20/20 shots and get away with it- until they play Test cricket against tough opposition on a tough deck and go hang on I can't just clear my front leg and try and drive everything.

So if we prepare batsman friendly pitches does that mean we train better bowlers? The pitches for the ashes series seemed to be perfect to me, each different, all with a little something for everyone. Hard to tell I know when one side has one foot in therapy.the thing I like about Hughes is that he's had success , he's had failure. When he gets dropped he goes back to shield and gets more runs. Dropped again goes back to shield gets more runs. It could be said Johnson has had major technical flaws " has no seam position" but now he is back with confidence . At 25 Hughes still has a couple of years to pull the strings together and have a good test career.

Several reasons. Shield cricket has greatly declined over the last 5 years, lesser players to stick to plans or even expose.

We prepare very batsman friendly pitches now, we manufacture players that can play funky 20/20 shots and get away with it- until they play Test cricket against tough opposition on a tough deck and go hang on I can't just clear my front leg and try and drive everything.

I think this is very true. I think the last statement is a huge worry for test cricket in the future

26 Tests is an extended chance. How many more do you want? Are you prepared to give Bailey another 21 Tests?

How can you claim he's been treated harshly when he was given an armchair ride into the Test team after 18 months of Shield cricket?

None of those players have basic batting flaws, they have different techniques.

Sehwag has no technique, he sees it he hits it. He has minimal footwork at the best of times. I'm not saying Hughes hasn't had chances but as Socnorb said, his confidence at test level has been shot. Why did he get dropped in England those years back not long after making twins centuries in a test in SA? This last Ashes in England he made an 80 not out, was shifted all around the batting order and then punted. Why was Watson shown so much faith when he could barely make it past 20 for almost three years? Hughes will be a star if he is given a prolonged chance and with Boof giving him confidence once Rogers retires. Statistics don't mean everything but when you've got a guy who is the best of his age bracket by a couple of runs at Shield level, he is doing something right.

Watson can bowl, which explains his extended run.

So if we prepare batsman friendly pitches does that mean we train better bowlers? The pitches for the ashes series seemed to be perfect to me, each different, all with a little something for everyone. Hard to tell I know when one side has one foot in therapy.the thing I like about Hughes is that he's had success , he's had failure. When he gets dropped he goes back to shield and gets more runs. Dropped again goes back to shield gets more runs. It could be said Johnson has had major technical flaws " has no seam position" but now he is back with confidence . At 25 Hughes still has a couple of years to pull the strings together and have a good test career.

Domestically we went through a real period of batting friendly pitches, two grounds now have drop ins and they're roads. Then in the last two seasons we have changed dramatically and we started making them so green they had branches coming off and every fast bowler in the country thought they were a superstar.

Faulker, is already 10th on Tasmania’s list of all time wicket-takers with 125 at just 22 in 34 games.

Bird’s figures are extraordinary since moving to Tasmania from Sydney grade cricket just two season ago. He has 80 wickets in just 14 Shield matches at only 17.54 with the astonishing strike rate of 36.

Bellrieve was turned into a minefield, the Bulls guys last year apart from Uzzie couldn't get bat on ball out there.

CA announced mid year last year a pitch inspection process where teams could lose points if the pitch was not balanced. No 14 wickets in a day.

These green monsters are utopia for pace but spinners don't get a bowl and slowed our development of a spinner- it's been a natural area of concern for the Bulls for years, hard to be a spinner in Qld.

Things fell away for Johnson because his action fell away and he had so many other problems off the field, it's happened before to him- he lost his Bulls' contract in 03.

Sehwag has no technique, he sees it he hits it. He has minimal footwork at the best of times. I'm not saying Hughes hasn't had chances but as Socnorb said, his confidence at test level has been shot. Why did he get dropped in England those years back not long after making twins centuries in a test in SA? This last Ashes in England he made an 80 not out, was shifted all around the batting order and then punted. Why was Watson shown so much faith when he could barely make it past 20 for almost three years? Hughes will be a star if he is given a prolonged chance and with Boof giving him confidence once Rogers retires. Statistics don't mean everything but when you've got a guy who is the best of his age bracket by a couple of runs at Shield level, he is doing something right.

Sehwag has minimal footwork true but no one middles the ball more than him. He's like Viv he doesn't need great footwork because he gets to the ball and middles it. Great hand eye reflexes.

He was dropped in England for how he was getting out. He was horrible in '09 over there edging everthing and got dropped after Lord's then back here in '10 we were a shambles and he got dropped again.

Cardiff- 36 and DNB
Lord's- 4 and 17
Perth- 2 and 12
Melbourne 16 and 23
Sydney- 31 and 13

They're hardly figures that say pick me to open your innings in an Ashes- Cook has 8000 Test runs and he was under pressure this series for not getting his team off to a good start.

Domestically we went through a real period of batting friendly pitches, two grounds now have drop ins and they're roads. Then in the last two seasons we have changed dramatically and we started making them so green they had branches coming off and every fast bowler in the country thought they were a superstar.

Faulker, is already 10th on Tasmania’s list of all time wicket-takers with 125 at just 22 in 34 games.

Bird’s figures are extraordinary since moving to Tasmania from Sydney grade cricket just two season ago. He has 80 wickets in just 14 Shield matches at only 17.54 with the astonishing strike rate of 36.

Bellrieve was turned into a minefield, the Bulls guys last year apart from Uzzie couldn't get bat on ball out there.

CA announced mid year last year a pitch inspection process where teams could lose points if the pitch was not balanced. No 14 wickets in a day.

These green monsters are utopia for pace but spinners don't get a bowl and slowed our development of a spinner- it's been a natural area of concern for the Bulls for years, hard to be a spinner in Qld.

Things fell away for Johnson because his action fell away and he had so many other problems off the field, it's happened before to him- he lost his Bulls' contract in 03.

Branches. LoL
i suppose eventually we will see more and more drop ins . Listening to the curator at Adelaide it sounds like they're going through a massive trial and error period. Hopefully in time they can master the conditions so we get good pitches that suit quicks and spinners later on. Having said that I don't mind seeing the odd green top. Also love seeing a good spinner plying his trade.

Sehwag has minimal footwork true but no one middles the ball more than him. He's like Viv he doesn't need great footwork because he gets to the ball and middles it. Great hand eye reflexes.

He was dropped in England for how he was getting out. He was horrible in '09 over there edging everthing and got dropped after Lord's then back here in '10 we were a shambles and he got dropped again.

Cardiff- 36 and DNB
Lord's- 4 and 17
Perth- 2 and 12
Melbourne 16 and 23
Sydney- 31 and 13

They're hardly figures that say pick me to open your innings in an Ashes- Cook has 8000 Test runs and he was under pressure this series for not getting his team off to a good start.

Yeah these are all good points but don't forget the key factor is that Cook was persisted with even in tough times, that's what I wish had happened with Hughes that's all.

I agree [MENTION=8423]Sproj[/MENTION]. I think alot of these guys suffered for trailing an era of true excellence. Take Lyon for example. His place in the side always doubtful till recently. Turns out , according to the figures he will be the most successful offie Australia has ever produced.

Just watching Pakistan v Sri Lanka . My god the gap between the better test sides and the rest ,gap widened significantly . A worry for test cricket. Also the stadium is completely empty . Completely.

It's always gonna be hard to pull a crowd between two teams in a neutral country with little interest in the game anyway.

Uploadfromtaptalk1389880181926

Haha, love this game.

Just played it and Cook is dropped bit they have Trott and Finn playing

Unread

Active Now

• Spoon
  • lynx000
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Lurker
  • TimWhatley
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.