The Ashes 2013/14

I disagree, they had us in trouble every first innings. We had Haddin to thank for bailing us out most innings

Yeah this was a very complete victory but this team would have been smashed by our 06/07 team. It really shows just how bad England really has been here. Heads must roll and questions will be asked. For example, why was Taylor not in the squad? Would Onions have made a difference? Why was Carberry persisted with and not Root? Why wasn't Compton at least in the squad? Why did England choose all of Rankin, Finn and Tremlett who were either unfit, out of form or a pure punt?

Moving ahead, they still have the basis of a good batch of young uns to build around:

1. Cook, 2. ??, 3. Taylor, 4. Ballance, 5. Root, 6. Stokes, 7. ??, 8. Broad, 9. Borthwick, 10. ??, 11. Finn

As for us, we still have problems ahead. Looking to the future, at least ourbowling looks strong.

1. Warner, 2. Hughes, 3. ??, 4. Lynn, 5. Smith, 6. ??, 7. ??, 8. Starc, 9. Pattinson, 10. Siddle (Cummins/Hazlewood), 11. Lyon/Zampa

Then around this squad we have: Burns, Head, Patterson, Handscomb, Sandhu, Maddinson, McDermott, etc.

Where do we go with this current group and future players post-SA lads?

Yeah this was a very complete victory but this team would have been smashed by our 06/07 team. It really shows just how bad England really has been here. Heads must roll and questions will be asked. For example, why was Taylor not in the squad? Would Onions have made a difference? Why was Carberry persisted with and not Root? Why wasn't Compton at least in the squad? Why did England choose all of Rankin, Finn and Tremlett who were either unfit, out of form or a pure punt?

Moving ahead, they still have the basis of a good batch of young uns to build around:

1. Cook, 2. ??, 3. Taylor, 4. Ballance, 5. Root, 6. Stokes, 7. ??, 8. Broad, 9. Borthwick, 10. ??, 11. Finn

Any team would've been flogged by that team. That Australian team at it's peak was a super team

This whitewash imo was a lot more convincing than the 2006/07 series. In that series the 1st Test was the only 1 where we where in complete control of from start to finish while England did get themselves into good positions in the other tests. They were annihilated in every test this time and beside from the first day at the Gabba never held an advantage at any time.

In 06/07 we won by 277 runs, 6 wickets, 206 runs, an innings and 99 runs and 10 wickets.

How does he survive in shield cricket with a funky technique. Would be the best 1st class comp in the world. In my opinion his problems are mental. Mostly shot selection at the highest level. That is why I believe we have not seen the last of him at test level.

Same way players can be good Qld Cup players but not NRL players.

Hughes has huge technical flaws which he has tried to correct and at times can but largely can't.

His back foot still moves away from the line of the ball towards leg stump. He still can't help trying to make room to drive.

I've watched him live once this summer for Shield and he still does it. I am convinced people wanting him in the Test side are either ignoring the flaws or just going by scores.

Last edited:
Except England 12 months earlier!

I think that 05' series in England might have been a bit different if Glen McGrath didn't tread on a cricket ball before the 2nd test and miss the rest of the series ...

Very interesting decisions to be made regarding the South Africa tour. Will Bailey get another chance?

I think that 05' series in England might have been a bit different if Glen McGrath didn't tread on a cricket ball before the 2nd test and miss the rest of the series ...

He only missed the 2nd and 4th test and wasn't at full strength in the 3rd and 5th test after destroying England at Lords in the 1st.

Hughes has technical flaws and so do most batsmen. Technique is not the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned. Look at Chanderpaul, Smith, Sehwag, Katich, G.Smith just to name a few in recent years. The fact of the matter is if Hughes is given an extended run, he WILL be a star. If he got half the sustained chances Watson has been given, he'd be a player along with Smith we'd be building a side around. People who say he needs to have a perfect technique are mistaken.

Hughes has done a lot of work on his technique but he continues to revert back to his old ways when the going gets tough. If he was a better fielder and runner between wickets he may have been given more of a run in the test team.

You mean if he was blonde and marketable he might have been given an extended run?

You mean if he was blonde and marketable he might have been given an extended run?

Hughes is marketable. A decent media performer as well. I am sure he had blonde streaks and an ear ring like Clarkey at some stage.

Hughes has technical flaws and so do most batsmen. Technique is not the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned. Look at Chanderpaul, Smith, Sehwag, Katich, G.Smith just to name a few in recent years. The fact of the matter is if Hughes is given an extended run, he WILL be a star. If he got half the sustained chances Watson has been given, he'd be a player along with Smith we'd be building a side around. People who say he needs to have a perfect technique are mistaken.

26 Tests is an extended chance. How many more do you want? Are you prepared to give Bailey another 21 Tests?

How can you claim he's been treated harshly when he was given an armchair ride into the Test team after 18 months of Shield cricket?

None of those players have basic batting flaws, they have different techniques.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.