The Beale-Hoffman Conundrum

P

PETERN

QCup Player
Nov 2, 2009
From what I can see Beale has been named on the bench for the Kiwis..Never knew he qualified/pledged his allegiance to the Kiwis.

If so, well done to him!

nathano11

nathano11

NYC Player
Jun 14, 2010
What about in '06 at the end of the year when Karmichael got injured and Hodges covered him at fullback, then remained there until the end of the year and we tore everyone apart to win the grand final. Hodges was awesome at fullback. I think he would be able to do the second man plays better than Hoffman or Beale. Just to throw it out there what about this back line to sharpen our attack
1. Hodges
2. Copley / Gagai
3. Hoffman
4. Beale
5. Yow Yeh

Reeds defence has been excellent from what we have seen but attack is nothing spectacular, (even though the ball rarely goes any further than wallace down that side), and has the size to be used in the back row or off the bench as a utility who can cover back row or the backs. The only thing you probably lose is we would be weaker defensively on the edges, but attack wise would be dangerous.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hodges was also 5 years younger then. I'm not sure he'd be up to it these days.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Plus why weaken the centre spots just to improve fullback? We have 2 awesome fullbacks at the club but right now only 1 awesome centre. 2 if reed keeps it up

nathano11

nathano11

NYC Player
Jun 14, 2010
He'd be safe under the high ball, could do his dummy half runs from anywhere on the field not just the right, has the hands to set up outside support, not to mention the strength to get offloads away, would be a safe last line of defence and his step would be handy in the second man play. Sure he has lost a bit of speed, but makes up for that in his ball playing and ability to create something out of nothing. If he could create half chances the speed of the outside backs in Hoffman, Beale, Yow Yeh, and Copley would certainly finish it. I think it would allow us to play with a deeper attacking line that would reap more rewards than our current flat style that looks disjointed and not very dangerous

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I get the impression the flat style attaack we're using (and people are whinging about) is a tactical thing from Griffin. The players are adjusting to it.

If Griffin wanted a deep attacking line he would've picked up on it by now.

nathano11

nathano11

NYC Player
Jun 14, 2010
I know if it aint broken dont fix it but could be worth a try, If it doesnt work put it back. Out of Beale and Hoffman I'd put Hoffman at fullback but it seems a waste to put Beale on the wing.

nathano11

nathano11

NYC Player
Jun 14, 2010
It is frustrating to watch the flat attacking style sometimes but we are winning games so cant complain. We are starting to score some more points but I just get the feeling that if we have to chase points we will struggle.

U

uji

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
I have to disagree strongly.

That backline doesnt lookhalf a solid as what we have and will continue to have when hoffman returns.

By the way, what has Reed done? Find of the year for mine.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
uji said:
I have to disagree strongly.

That backline doesnt lookhalf a solid as what we have and will continue to have when hoffman returns.

By the way, what has Reed done? Find of the year for mine.

Reed is the man!!!!!!!! Unless your name is Shaun.......

nathano11

nathano11

NYC Player
Jun 14, 2010
Coxy said:
I get the impression the flat style attaack we're using (and people are whinging about) is a tactical thing from Griffin. The players are adjusting to it.

If Griffin wanted a deep attacking line he would've picked up on it by now.

Yeh i know what you mean. I'm not whinging about it its just very frustrating to watch sometimes. I mean we get ourselves into great positions in games but haven't finished anyone off properly when we get to those positions. I admit we are getting better, we haven't really clicked or looked close to clicking in attack yet for a full game but are still winning on the back of our defence which is very promising indeed.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I agree. It's frustrating to watch. But I know what griffin teams can do. It's worth being patient.

bent

bent

BRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Well Ben Hunts injury just solved the conundrum. Beale gets the utility spot when Hoffman comes back. Most logical move, except if Copley has a few shockers. Our bench is going to look strong with Teo coming back this week.

Active Now

• DMZ
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wendall Taylor
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.