The Bench

T

Tiger_Woods

BRL Player
Dec 23, 2008
What the heck has Headjob Henjak been doing with the bench?
He had Yow Yeh on the bench the other round and tonight he had De Vere.
WTF?!!

Agree with the WTF. Perhaps he's been listening to a lot of people whinge about how DeVere deserves to be in the team... so decided to show them how wrong they were.

In saying that. He was useless alongside 16 other men tonight.

WTF thirded

I've been surprised at how light our bench as been, I don't think its something he can continue to do for the rest of the year...

Bennett only used 15 men tonight so it wasn't a huge factor, but could hurt us later. Especially if a forward gets injured. I can only hope that it's some sort of tactic to give the forwards lots of minutes to improve their fitness or something.

Was Setu a very very late exclusion or was he ready to play? Henjak was saying how the broncs forwards had to step up against the dragons. but with a hooker and a winger on ya bench that aint gonna happen.

The bench as been too lightweight all seaon and it has finally come back to bite Ivan after he got lucky in the first 3 rounds. Alex Glenn is the utility cover for the backs and also there is Andrew McCullough who can play halves.

Gorell I'm okay with, when he came on late tonight I actually thought we had a bit more direction, Glenn and Dt are musts, and then the last spot is Setu's when fit or Sims or Maguire, has to be a forward.

thats why Gorrell needs to start, just to give the team direction and good ball until the other team gets tired. no point trying to dummy and run from hooker in the 1st 10 mins, it aint gonna work

spoonbled said:
thats why Gorrell needs to start, just to give the team direction and good ball until the other team gets tired. no point trying to dummy and run from hooker in the 1st 10 mins, it aint gonna work

Agree spoonie seems to be the one thing Henjak does not have at present and that is patience. Gorrell starting and McCullough off the bench worked well rounds 1 and 2, why change.

i know more than 50% of us here said to have McCullogh start but i think after this performance more ppl will be changing their minds.

its like starting Taylor then when their tired saying quick put Mark hohn on haha

Yeah i agree with the previous points... McCullough has looked fantastic coming on late in the game against a tiring opposition. He probably isn't at the level yet to match it with them in the opening exchanges and then once he's fatigued as well his option taking and execution isn't the best.

Hopefully Henjack will go back to his original rotations.

Agreed m1c. My bench would be:
14. McCullough
15. Taylor
16. Setu
17. Glenn

I still think that's too light. Setu,Glenn, Te'o...one of them should go. They are all wide running backrowers who weigh less than 100 kilos.

I don't think it matters too much, we tried to match the Dragons forwards with power. There was not as much creativity around the middle tonight, they had some big guys out there; I think if we could've done a bit more around the ruck and sped the play the balls up it COULD have been a different story.

IMO it appeared to me that so far this season, Henjak has wanted to play a very up-tempo game. A lot of plays close to the ruck, lot's of angles, inside runners, quick play the balls. As a result the Broncos have to go with a lighter bench, Glenn is very impressive, his footwork has been great against a tiring or retreating defence, McCullough has been good coming on late in the halves keeping the markers on their toes. Taylor has been going well, and Setu has been improving each week.

If we keep getting invited into a trench warfare style game (ie. power game with big forwards successively hitting the ball up) and take that invitation, we'll be rolled on most occasions. This season I tend to think of us like the Tigers.

I'd go with what Gibhil says there with variations on form, injuries etc.

It isn't too light imo. No need to cure the headache by cutting off the head. All we needed tonight was a proper attitude and a decent kicking game and we would have won comfortably.

I've said since round 1 that I like gorell, he has more expereince and seems to lead the team better, I think Gorell should def start till at least round 12-14, if McCullough is up to it then after getting a bit more expereince than maybe give em a half each or something.

ATM thouh, I'm of the belief gorell is the better player.

Ghilbi's on the money and I think de Vere's selecting was a wasted one tonight.

There's no point having an outside back on the bench when Glenn can cover the backline anyway if there happens to be an injury.

If Broncos are at full strength, bench should be:
14. Glenn
15. Taylor
16. Setu
17. Sims

With McCulloch starting.

I prefer McGuire ... a coal now, maybe a diamond later ... Sims will always just be coal

Oink !

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Hurrijo
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
  • Bongo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.