The Broncos Salary Cap: 2023 to 2025

Why would people think Ezra needs anything more than 450?

Clubs that rest on the bottom of the table will overpay on the belief that he either has those traits but plays his role beside Arey or that he can develop them after playing with Arey.

He's not worth a million, he's probably not worth $750k yet either, but the new cap and clubs lacking talent on the back of no decent halves off contract means big offers will come his way.

That's subjective.

He's not worth anything more than a mid range contract

You are confusing what his value is, and what a club will pay him. Its no different to say a shortage of a product. If there is a shortage of a particular item, the price goes up for it because of demand. Mam is in that position which is why he will get more than his value.

Why would people think Ezra needs anything more than 450?

He's not the man calling the shots, he's a role player. He's not producing the goods merely taking a part in it.

Not every spine member has the same influence and not ever spine member deserves the big dollars.

Of course Ezra is worth 1 million at this stage to us, but to other clubs that are struggling he might be.

It is all about his market value and it is going to be a lot higher than we would like to be paying him, it's just the business.

We are going to need more decent middles with losing Palasia and Flegler. They're huge holes to fill.

I think in regards to centres, Herbie is also a massive loss... But Cobbo or Mariner could take that left centre position.

I don't think we need to sign any more middles. We have Baker already coming who has been good for the Roosters recently and also have Willison, who has looked great in his first grade time this year.

Cleary's on $1M - why are saying Mam should be $1M?

$400-600k surely at this stage of his development...
Cleary should be on 1.5mill but won't leave daddy.
He is Penriff royalty and will have a job in coaching long after he retires.
You have to wonder when the NRL will put a notional value on him like they were going to for other players, something the media would be bleating about if he were a Bronco.
Also he might get bored winning GFs and go to rugby on 2 mill.

Cleary's on $1M - why are saying Mam should be $1M?

$400-600k surely at this stage of his development...

Cleary is on $1.3 million which he signed before the cap increase

I can see controlling halves getting $1 million a year (remember The Chad wanted it after he won the GF with the Dopers), but not the heads-up five-eighths. The talk of Luai potentially leaving the Panthers because "desperate clubs will pay him a $million" but I haven't seen any news of an actual club proposing that kind of figure. It's much easier to find a livewire player to play #6 than it is to find even a semi-competent halfback.

And it's made worse because a proper halfback needs a lot more time to find their feet in first grade, and they are easily chewed up and spat out if they aren't world-beating in their first two years (eg, Walker). Clubs then have the choice of persevering with them while they are young in order for them to develop, effectively weakening the team for those earlier years, or having them develop in Q-Cup (and risk them having a tantrum and leaving for whatever promise of first-grade they can get), and even if a club does get the balance right, all the effort you put in can get you rewarded with them being poached by desperate clubs (or the Roosters) the moment they come good, for huge money.

Next season we’ll only have 7 players left from spoon year

Next season we’ll only have 7 players left from spoon year
We really cleaned the place out. The players who stayed have really gone to another level under Walters.

Broncos team list from our last round of 2020:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Xavier Coates
3. Jesse Arthars
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Richard Kennar
6. Kotoni Staggs
7. Tom Dearden
8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Jordan Riki
12. Alex Glenn
13. Patrick Carrigan
14. Cory Paix
15. Ben Te’o
16. Corey Oates
17. Jamil Hopoate
18. Rhys Kennedy
19. Ethan Bullemor
20. Sean O’Sullivan
21. Brodie Croft

You know things were dire when you Have Kennar on the wing and Oates on the bench.

Croft was soo bad it was preferable to have Staggs in the halves.

You know things were dire when you Have Kennar on the wing and Oates on the bench.

Croft was soo bad it was preferable to have Staggs in the halves.
Could have gone with O'Sullivan but I see your point.

Shit I forgot Luke was even playing for us, guess that shows how much impact he had.

Could have gone with O'Sullivan but I see your point.

Shit I forgot Luke was even playing for us, guess that shows how much impact he had.
SoS wasn't that good either from memory, he had a few games where he did decent with some runs but his kicking game was terrible.

Here is something interesting:

1. Darius Boyd - was already retired in all but putting his jersey on, absolute waste of space by this point
2. Xavier Coates - Has gone to Melbourne and not really improved
3. Jesse Arthars - Has improved out of sight
4. Herbie Farnworth - Has improved out of sight
5. Richard Kennar - Has gone on to be completely average journeyman
6. Kotoni Staggs - Has improved out of sight, basically now the best centre in the game
7. Tom Dearden - Has gone to the Cowboys and improved out of sight
8. Joe Ofahengaue - Has gone to the Tigers and then Eels and slightly improved
9. Issac Luke - Was not good enough and should have already retired by that point
10. Payne Haas - Was easily the player of the year but somehow, has improved signficantly
11. Jordan Riki - Has improved out of sight
12. Alex Glenn - Really needed to retire and hung on way too long
13. Patrick Carrigan - Has improved out of sight
14. Cory Paix - Has stagnated sadly
15. Ben Te’o - Was well past it
16. Corey Oates - Had stagnated but since the Siebold years, has gone back to being great, albeit injured
17. Jamil Hopoate - One of the biggest disgraces to ever wear the jersey
18. Rhys Kennedy - Was solid but reached his limited ceiling before departing
19. Ethan Bullemor - Has gone on to stagnate under the same coach
20. Sean O’Sullivan - Went to the Panthers and improved out of sight but has gone on to the Dolphins and stagnated to an extent
21. Brodie Croft - Has gone to the ESL and is tearing it up

That squad was so badly out of balance and given that most of them have gone on elsewhere and significantly improved, that really does put the coach in an awful spotlight and given how badly a very good Manly side has gone this year, it really does not paint that crying hand waver in a good light.

We really cleaned the place out. The players who stayed have really gone to another level under Walters.

Broncos team list from our last round of 2020:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Xavier Coates
3. Jesse Arthars
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Richard Kennar
6. Kotoni Staggs
7. Tom Dearden
8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Jordan Riki
12. Alex Glenn
13. Patrick Carrigan
14. Cory Paix
15. Ben Te’o
16. Corey Oates
17. Jamil Hopoate
18. Rhys Kennedy
19. Ethan Bullemor
20. Sean O’Sullivan
21. Brodie Croft
Vomit 🥶

Even a guy like Kobe to me is a vital cog in our team... I'd be hoping we can retain him without blowing the budget. He's a culture signing whilst being extremely good at his role and a permanent fixture in the 17.
You could get rid of the other 29 players and just let Kobe go out there by himself. Broncos win every game by 50+.
That’s Kobe.
Remember folks - Not all heroes wear capes!! Love your work Kobe!!

I think to an extent we will have to hold back on the "upgrade in good faith" like we did with Haas... even though that would assist with retaining some of them.

Walsh is probably the only one I'd be willing to upgrade on his current deal to show his worth to the club, but others like Mam and co might have to see out their current deal before the big money comes.

Reynolds will retire at the end of 2025... which will foot the bill for the majority of Walsh.

Capewell will surely be due some downgrading, but might end up being one of those that is lost to ensure we keep Piakura and Riki... as they are future players.

Even a guy like Kobe to me is a vital cog in our team... I'd be hoping we can retain him without blowing the budget. He's a culture signing whilst being extremely good at his role and a permanent fixture in the 17.
Kobe seems pretty wrapped to be here and there a plenty of extra minutes up for grab with Flegler leaving. Love the way he plays.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • Big Del
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • Rambstien
  • mieko
  • Gaz
  • johnny plath
  • scobie
  • Adammacca
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.