The Clean out!

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
I can't believe this thread has barely questioned Lockyer staying on ... unless he comes really cheap ... his form is attrocious and surely he should be tapped on the shoulder.

I think he is a broncos legend as much as the next bloke ... but seriously, the tough calls do need to be made at times

Mind you, he is just the tip of the iceberg ... the clean out needs to hit front office, players and coaching staff

I suspect, none of this will occur and we shall be a club of past glories for some years to come

Oink !

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Pigskin said:
I can't believe this thread has barely questioned Lockyer staying on ... unless he comes really cheap ... his form is attrocious and surely he should be tapped on the shoulder.

I think he is a broncos legend as much as the next bloke ... but seriously, the tough calls do need to be made at times

Mind you, he is just the tip of the iceberg ... the clean out needs to hit front office, players and coaching staff

I suspect, none of this will occur and we shall be a club of past glories for some years to come

Oink !

he is taking a paycut to stay with us, but that being said we still need him for next season because we have no one to take his place yet. Ben Hunt has talent but i still think he needs another year in the QLD cup before he is ready to be a full time NRL play maker.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
The Rock said:
Pigskin said:

Oink !

Funny you say that, Roosters fans said the same thing about Fittler prior to 2001...then look what happened.

Lockyer has had his ONLY average season in first grade rugby league. Show a bit of faith for the bloke.

I can see your point Rock, but I think it's a slightly different situation.

1) The Roosters had a formidble, premiership winning team - can't question that. Game was so different back then but the side on paper compared to ours (current) is miles apart.

2) Fittler is an excellent defender - Lockyer, not so much. Even worse is that his age OBVIOUSLY has affected him much more due to his taxing rep career and injury over the last 2 or 3 years.

I just think we are in a very dangerous situation here. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him. In fact I'm 100% sure our side will perform worse without him over the next two years and might not even make the finals. However, we woudl most likely be in a better shape in that 3rd year from now IF we handle things right and go this way... but I'm not the expert. This is something management have to figure out...

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I honestly can't see Locky making it past next year. I really don't think you can ask someone like Locky to retire he is a great of the game it is disrespectful. He will know when his time is up. I expect an announcement during next season sometime. I just hope he doesn't play on to long.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
^ Most likely the case mate - I would not be surprised if he announces a one year deal OR just sees out the first year of his contract.

A

Astroboy

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
There should be A LOT of people shown the door before Lockyer, starting with that twat Bruno Cullen. Even if Lockyer is not in great form playing-wise, don't underestimate the effect of his leadership, his reputation, the aura of him just being there which can inspire others, and give them extra confidence when the going is tough - and the organisation and guidance he gives the team as to the best way to play given the game situation. Granted no-one looks too inspired atm, there must be other reasons for that. But for the youngsters coming through, just imagine how much better players they could be by learning from the great man. He is worth more than just the line breaks he makes, the tries he sets up and the tackles he (sometimes) effects.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Also you can say Lockyer hasn't been his best which is true but it doesn't help when you are playing behind an underperforming forward pack. IMO both our Halves have been quite ordinary this year mainly due to our poor pack. Look at Jamie Soward for instance he is playing behind a dominant pack and is reaping the rewards. Any halfback in the game would look good behind the pack the dragons have.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
^
Really? I must say I don't agree - maybe you're right about the team not being 'formidable' but I see a huge gap between that side and our current side. (albeit the game is diff)

But names like Phillips (or was it already the Mini era?), Hodges, Minichello (not sure?), Hegarty (who was going OK at the time I thought), Cayless, Wing, Morley, Fitzgibbon and Fletcher spring to mind off the top of my head. Though I don't rate all of these players - their forward pack is miles ahead for mine... compared to Setu/Teo/Kenny (on paper)

I see a wide gap but it is hard to compare because we have to take into account the competition and the other teams at the time too.

G

Guvnor

BRL Player
Jan 13, 2009
Cullen
Ryan
Nolan
Henjak
Setu
Teo
Sims
Gorrel
Marsh
Clinton - only if we can get someone like Matt Scott

NONE of those clowns should ever been at the club to begin with , imo.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Guvnor said:
Cullen
Ryan
Nolan
Henjak
Setu
Teo
Sims
Gorrel
Marsh
Clinton - only if we can get someone like Matt Scott

NONE of those clowns should ever been at the club to begin with , imo.

I think your being very hard on Henjak and Setu.

Setu was going really well at the Dragons, so much so that Wayne Bennett wanted to keep him.

also on Henjak, it usually takes a few years for a coach to get the squad he wants and for the results to come. Bellamy took 2 or 3 years before delivering success to the Storm, even Wayne Bennett when he started at the Broncos took 3 years to make the finals (and we all know what roster he had to work with at that time)

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Harsh on peter nolan there guvnor. He was excellent as the junior development manager. I'm not sure he's the best football manager though.

And agree with foordy about henjak. May not be up to first grade head coaching, but he's been an excellent assistant coach off and on for a decade.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Given some time for perspective about our form, I think we are being a bit tough on Ivan. What a tough gig to be given to follow Wayne, plus, we were always going to face somewhat of a rebuilding phase having lost some 20 players in the last three years (for various reasons). I tend to agree with what Rock has said in this thread, but I still think we need two more solid dependable prop forwards in our squad, we are very light on in that department. Matt Scott and Matt Cross would have been ideal.

I think Ivan has to be given the chance to try and mould his team and then be judged on the performance of that side. Wayne walked into the comp with a virtual state of origin side but it still took three years initially to get into the finals. If Ivan can somehow conjure up some form to get us into the finals even in the last spot, it will be a sign that he has it and could develop into a great coach.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I'm not so sure we have been too tough on Ivan.
The biggest disappointment for me has been the lack of improvement in our defensive pattern particularly the left side.
We have just been repeating the same mistakes for 7 weeks now.

Also at the start of the year we played with width and variation around the rucks and were pretty successful but as soon as we faltered he went back to what WB used to do and became very basic and predictable and we simply don't have that type of pack anymore.

I could understand sticking with that game plan if we were close to a win or were building some form but if anything we got slightly worse.

Anyway we have a reasonble run into the finals , maybe the Sharks will play us into some type of form and we can sneak into 8th.

We will no doubt be bounced out in week 1 but playing a semi will be good for the young players we keep.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well I still think the finals is a pipe dream. We have to win tonight and then win more games than any of the others level with us on 24 point after tonight.

Our F&A is too poor.

I can't see the Broncos winning on the road to the Dragons or Cowboys so we'd need Newcastle or someone to completely falter.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Yes I am hoping a return to form and confidence along with a return to full strength will be the catylist we need.

We have (on paper ) a kinder run home than a few of the teams ahead of us.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Agreed, but we'd definitely have to jag a win against the Dragons or Cowboys, and I can't see that happening given both clubs' form. The Cowboys were fantastic against the Tits, and they were brilliant in the first half against the Storm with not much to show for it. And both of those games on the road.

They're a better team at home.

Anyway, as I've said, it'd be better for the broncos to miss the finals in order to get the real dose of reality they need. But, I would like to see them win tonight and get some confidence and put in for the rest of the season.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Coxy said:
so we'd need Newcastle or someone to completely falter.
Well, they're holding up their end of the bargain! 8-)

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Strop
  • Swordfish
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • porouian
  • winslow_wong
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • Scorchie
... and 40 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.