The Corey Oates Issue.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
So, at least officially, nothing has been announced regarding Corey Oates extending his deal. Reports were he was fielding offers between $500,000-$700,000 a year, wanting a couple year deal. As far as im aware, the only other winger on that sort of money (or at least the upper end) is Blake Ferguson. So far this year, in the two Broncos v Eels games, and in Origin, Ferguson has dominated him.

If you then compare Oates to other wingers in the game, Sivo, Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Tupou etc. I just don't think his performances lately have been comparable.

I think Corey is a good bloke, and I would like him to beat the Broncos, but he doesn't appear as athletic as some of the other modern wingers, and $500k+ is a lot of money.

If Oates left, I'd imagine a back 7 in 2020 something like
1. Milford
2. Boyd/Arthars
3. Arthars/Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Isaako
6. Bird
7. Dearden / SoS

What do you guys think? Is he worth the $500-$700 that's reported? Seems crazy to me given his poor form since origin 1.

Up until about 5 weeks ago, I would have said he was a must retain. Now, he just cannot expect to come to the table asking for that sort of money expecting the club to play ball. He has been probably the quietest he has ever been at NRL level the past month, and stuff like that counts for something when negotiating a new deal. Kahu was let go under similar circumstances despite being an international back. The addition of Arthars and the return of Bird are just going to amplify that situation.

I'd be offering him no more than 550k. If he wants any more than that, well it disappoints me but he's free to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
What annoys me is that we don't appear to scout Fiji like other teams. So many amazing athletes have been coming through from there lately and we just don't seem to look.

Anyone who says wing is a hard position is crazy. Be fit, fast, strong and stay on your damn wing. Oates has been god awful under the bomb, awful defensively. rushing up and in with no tackle twice against the eels, once that was a jubious forward pass from gutho that was called back (I thought it was fine), and then again the exact same play and Fergo scored.

I just don't see any value in him. His metres gained have been dropping, every time a bomb goes near him I freak out, and he can't get grubbers at all. Not to mention the 4-5 bombed tries the past month.

What annoys me is that we don't appear to scout Fiji like other teams. So many amazing athletes have been coming through from there lately and we just don't seem to look.

Anyone who says wing is a hard position is crazy. Be fit, fast, strong and stay on your damn wing. Oates has been god awful under the bomb, awful defensively. rushing up and in with no tackle twice against the eels, once that was a jubious forward pass from gutho that was called back (I thought it was fine), and then again the exact same play and Fergo scored.

I just don't see any value in him. His metres gained have been dropping, every time a bomb goes near him I freak out, and he can't get grubbers at all. Not to mention the 4-5 bombed tries the past month.
Just on the pass. How could you even have an opinion on it? I mean, you had no square on view, you weren't in line with it, how could you possibly judge?

I know who was perfectly in line. The guy who is paid to adjudicate on such things. The guy who has seen thousands of such passes and regularly judges them. He's known as 'the sideline official'.

I don't know if it was forward but from the crappy view I had it looked very forward.

I really don't think Corey is worth any more than $ 400.k at the moment. His defensive reads have been awful and he always seems to have a couple of drop balls/errors in him per game.
It's not as though we don't have any young talent coming through.

Just on the pass. How could you even have an opinion on it? I mean, you had no square on view, you weren't in line with it, how could you possibly judge?

I know who was perfectly in line. The guy who is paid to adjudicate on such things. The guy who has seen thousands of such passes and regularly judges them. He's known as 'the sideline official'.

I don't know if it was forward but from the crappy view I had it looked very forward.
I was at the game and my seat is at the 20m line in line with it on Oates side. Very close to being in line and yeah, seemed okay. Anyway, the issue was him rushing in out of position.

Put it this way, there's been a lot of passes that were more forward than that one that didn't get pulled back. But yeah, the point was about the had reads lately.

Id let Oates go and keep Saint Fifi. Plenty of wingers going around, not alot of sexy muscular vigorous 2nd rowers however

He’s busted. Too slow and no evasiveness. Defence has been questionable too against the top wingers. Oh and the butter fingers are out of control.

You left "Jubious" alone. Proud of you Huge.

He’s been our most potent attacking option for 4 years. I’m not ready to boot him after a month of quiet games. Do agree he’s dreaming if he wants that money, but he’s still deserving of a healthy contract.

So, at least officially, nothing has been announced regarding Corey Oates extending his deal. Reports were he was fielding offers between $500,000-$700,000 a year, wanting a couple year deal. As far as im aware, the only other winger on that sort of money (or at least the upper end) is Blake Ferguson. So far this year, in the two Broncos v Eels games, and in Origin, Ferguson has dominated him.

If you then compare Oates to other wingers in the game, Sivo, Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Tupou etc. I just don't think his performances lately have been comparable.

I think Corey is a good bloke, and I would like him to beat the Broncos, but he doesn't appear as athletic as some of the other modern wingers, and $500k+ is a lot of money.

If Oates left, I'd imagine a back 7 in 2020 something like
1. Milford
2. Boyd/Arthars
3. Arthars/Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Isaako
6. Bird
7. Dearden / SoS

What do you guys think? Is he worth the $500-$700 that's reported? Seems crazy to me given his poor form since origin 1.
My concern letting oates go is that without him, our other back 3 players are not noted for their ability to make metres. In saying that, oates metres have dropped. He used to make huge PCM, but teams have learnt to take his legs now rather than wrestle.

He also thinks he can barge his way over the line evertime, so doesnt cut back in if he is near the sideline, but has ended up over the sideline (i.e. souths game).

Missed the boat. Had the opportunity but only wanted a one year deal. Either bad advice or thought he’d get better therefore entitled to a bigger slice. But he’s stagnated, even gone backwards a tad. Bad call.

Missed the boat. Had the opportunity but only wanted a one year deal. Either bad advice or thought he’d get better therefore entitled to a bigger slice. But he’s stagnated, even gone backwards a tad. Bad call.

had something to do with a change in managers.

besides, while he has had a quiet month ... he has still scored 13 tries this year, which is a decent number

Offer 500k take it or leave it.
He has gone downhill since origin, its almost like that was his goal for the year, achieved it and now doesn't care. Not sure if there maybe a background injury.
We cannot spend too much on him as we could potentially loose out on the likes of keeping Staggs.
I think he will stay for unders anyway..

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • RolledOates
  • BroncoFan94
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • pennywisealfie
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Tim K
  • Battler
  • Aldo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Mr Fourex
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.