The Dilemma

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Who plays in the 6 in 2012?? It will be a long hot summer debating this dilemma no doubt.

I hope Corey Norman gets first shot at it.

He seems the most naturally talented of all the contenders. His kicking and passing games both have huge potential.

Yeah, I reckon I am on the Norman bandwagon as well. Should be a great little contest between the like of Norman, Hunt, Capwell and maybe a few others for the position.

I posted this on LU and it fits this thread...

By Hook's own admission, Norman is being groomed as Locky's replacement, and I think he's intent on keeping the hooker rotation going with Macca and Hunt as it is now.

In my view, Norman and Capewell (rumor is this kid only needs confidence to be very good) will vye for the halves opening, and only if neither cuts the mustard will he look at Hunt, then Beale and as last resort Qcup or U20's.

Possible options:

1- Hoffman
6- Norman/Capewell
7- Wallace
9- Macca/Hunt

1- Hoffman
6- Wallace
7- Hunt
9- Macca/Baptiste

Going by this year's form and potential, my team would be:

1- Hoffman
2- Beale (wasted here, would really like to give Gagai a chance)
3- Reed
4- Hodges
5- Yow Yeh
6- Norman/Capewell
7- Wallace
8- Hannant (if healed from groin injury and fully fit)
9- McCullough
10-Civoneciva
11-Glenn
12-Thaiday
13-Parker

14-Hunt
15-Gillett
16-Te'o
17-McGuire

We have such a potent forward line that players like Anderson, Hala, Dodds, Lui, Kenny and Carlaw don't get a look in, and Let's not forget there's a couple of young guns in the U20's waiting for a chance too.

Our ranks in the backs are a bit thin, with Copley and Gagai as the only options to cover wing/centre positions, although Te'o, Glenn and even Gillett will do a good job in the centres.

I truly don't know what to do with Beale. He's such a talent, but I can't place him in the 17... :confused:
He probably pips Hoffman in attack, but is nowhere near as good in defense. He's wasted on the wing, as he has little room to move and utilise his offensive skills, and doesn't have that uncanny ability to find the try line. He's defensively not strong enough to take Hodgo or Reed's centre position, and he doesn't have the kicking game to make it in the halves.
Having said that, I fully expect Griffin to keep him on the wing, if anything not to loose him to another club...

All in all, I have no doubt we'll be very competitive in the coming seasons. How competitive? Depends on how good Norman, Capewell or Hunt go in the halves.

Most importantly, Paul White, Andrew Gee and Anthony Griffin restored the pride in the jersey, the camaraderie and willingness to give everything on the paddock for your team mates and the respect/fear/envy from others that we had lost under Cullen/Henkak!

Will they deliver a premiership? I hope so and I believe we have the material to do it, but I want to see what this team is capable of without Lockyer and the emotion of sending him off...

I'm looking at Beale. He played a lot in lower grades, and I just don't like Norman.

I posted this on LU and it fits this thread...

Good posts like that should be BHQ exclusives! :cheesy:

Too many trolls on LU.

You could be onto something with your predictions about the halves.

McGuire has to start, civo and hannant can rotate

I'm looking at Beale. He played a lot in lower grades, and I just don't like Norman.

+ 1

I don't like this idea that he seemingly just inherits the number 6 spot next year .. If he was bashing down the door for a spot in first grade this year (obviously not for lockyer's spot but somewhere in the 17) then fair enough but he's not. He had a chance last year and couldn't nail it and has meandered along between the lower grade and the occasional first grade game ever since.

He's clearly not ready to be a first grade five eighth for the Brisbane Broncos. At least not yet. And although I haven't seen a lot of him over the last year and a half, when I do see him he doesn't look like a guy who's red-dog mean and busting to get himself to the next level.

I'm on the Wallace @ 6 with Hunt @ 7 bandwagon myself although I feel as if the most likely option will be...

6. Corey Norman
7. Peter Wallace
15. Ben Hunt

A shame but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Unless Hook transforms Capewell, I'd hate to see him anywhere near our side outside of rep. season. Dude was abysmal for the Titans.

I wonder if the Broncos will promote Bryce Hegarty to the first grade squad?

+ 1

I don't like this idea that he seemingly just inherits the number 6 spot next year .. If he was bashing down the door for a spot in first grade this year (obviously not for lockyer's spot but somewhere in the 17) then fair enough but he's not. He had a chance last year and couldn't nail it and has meandered along between the lower grade and the occasional first grade game ever since.

He's clearly not ready to be a first grade five eighth for the Brisbane Broncos. At least not yet. And although I haven't seen a lot of him over the last year and a half, when I do see him he doesn't look like a guy who's red-dog mean and busting to get himself to the next level.

Did you expect Norman to push Lockyer out of the 6 jersey or something??

Lockyer. He'll make a comeback in round 6 after Normal fails in the number 6, and lead the broncos to the GF win he should have enjoyed this year.

Jordan Kahu is the bolter. Expect to see him get some time there in the trials. The Broncos see him as a long term 6.

What other spot in the 17 was he going to take??

So you're saying a guy who can (according to his resume) cover a few different positions in the backline can't demand selection in the 17 on a more regular basis that he did this year ?

If he was playing well enough he'd be forcing Griffin to find a spot for him on the bench more weeks than not

But he isn't

Where in the 17 was he going to play? He played a few of the bench but it destroyed the structure of the side. He should have been playing QLD cup.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.