The Dolphins discussion

I don't think you can do that, what if I want to move to the Dragons to be closer to mum or my wife gets a new job- like Cronk and all the Cowboys have to do is match the offer and I have to stay for three years- seems a way to end up with a miserable player.

I'm not sure of the exact working of the system, but basically in English football if a club has a young player ( up to 21 iirc ) they want to keep who is off contract, if they match his contract offer from his new club then the club that develops him is entitled to compensation. Thats the jist of the system anyway.

I think that the solution is that clubs should get greater cap exemptions for developing players. What exactly counts as developing is a tricky one but even something as simple as debuting a player should give you some % of cap exemption for up to 2 years after debuting or something.

I’m pulling these numbers out of my ass but the general idea feels solid.

As far as keeping them long term, that’s on the club to navigate the negotiations properly and make it a place they want to to stay, ultimately you can’t keep them all.

I think thats the way to go. You develop a player, you get some salary cap exemption for him. Thats probably the easiest way to reward player development.

Latest rumours are a raid on rugby: Izaia Perese (Bennett brought him to Broncos) and Suliasi Vunivalu (played for the Storm before the Reds).

Latest rumours are a raid on rugby: Izaia Perese (Bennett brought him to Broncos) and Suliasi Vunivalu (played for the Storm before the Reds).

Perese signed with Redcliffe first and then got a train and trial deal in 19 under Seibold.

Lodge hasn’t taken up his player options at the Warriors and it’s being reported he will leave the club at the end of the season, opting to remain in Australia.

You’d have to assume he goes straight to the Dolphins with his father in law being there.

Seems obvious SOS signed a 1 year deal to also make his way to Redcliffe.

If they sign Cobbo, Oates, Farnworth, Turpin, Milford, Lodge, and SoS along with Isaako - it’s gonna suck getting flogged by a team made up our rejects.

Lodge hasn’t taken up his player options at the Warriors and it’s being reported he will leave the club at the end of the season, opting to remain in Australia.

You’d have to assume he goes straight to the Dolphins with his father in law being there.

Seems obvious SOS signed a 1 year deal to also make his way to Redcliffe.

I'm thinking it wont be the Phins. He has just bought a house on the Northern beaches. He has said he wants to go back to Sydney. I reckon its going to be Manly or back to the Tigers.

I'm thinking it wont be the Phins. He has just bought a house on the Northern beaches. He has said he wants to go back to Sydney. I reckon its going to be Manly or back to the Tigers.
Shows how much we overpaid him. A jailbird that has to pay compo and was on his last chance can afford a house on the northern beaches. He must sleep with a smile on his face thanks to us.

Shows how much we overpaid him. A jailbird that has to pay compo and was on his last chance can afford a house on the northern beaches. He must sleep with a smile on his face thanks to us.

He got the money from us booting him out. I doubt he would be buying that house without it.

As already assumed, media are starting to suggest SoS will be the halfback at the phins

Bennett has denied signing SoS, says they haven't even had talks ... yet.

Bennett Says:

“I’m not going to lie about this - we haven’t signed Sean O’Sullivan,” Bennett said.

“We haven’t spoken to him, but that’s not to say we wouldn’t consider Sean down the track.

“I know who’s off-contract in the NRL and O’Sullivan is off-contract and he’s a player we may well want to talk to, but as of today, there’s been no conversations, no approach, nor have we tabled an offer.”

“If he signs it will be my call in conjunction with Terry Reader (Dolphins CEO),” Bennett said.

“His father (Peter O’Sullivan) won’t be allowed to be involved. I won’t have that.

“I don’t know where we are going yet with our depth in the halves.

“Sean has shown at Penrith how useful he can be, he did a good job filling in for Cleary, but we don’t know which playmakers we will have on our books.

“A lot will depend on whether we can get guys like Cameron Munster and Anthony Milford.

“We won’t be jumping at shadows now, we have to stay patient with our recruitment because there’s still another six months to go (before the Dolphins’ first pre-season) and a lot of football to be played.

“We already have one halfback in young Katoa, but he’s only 18 and we will need more experienced guys to support him.”

As already assumed, media are starting to suggest SoS will be the halfback at the phins
As we know, quality spine players are in short supply. He's probably about as good as they will get for 7 at this moment in time. I'd be expecting another 3 or 4 players in the next couple of weeks.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncs1459
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.